Delaware River Club
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 61 to 72 of 103
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    147
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    1
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post


    Re: Presidential Candidate Q & A on Recreational Fishing

    Please don't misinterpret "fortunate". I have worked all my life and consider myself fortunate. I have no complaints with my lifestyle. Payroll taxes, which fund the big entitlement programs, hit low-income households harder than most since 100% of their income is subject to them. High-income filers pay a lower percentage of their income in payroll taxes since wages subject to the Social Security tax are capped at $110,100. Many wealthy filers pay no payroll taxes at all because they are not on a "payroll". This is not a class or party argument. It is economic. Middle class and low-income spenders are the engine of the economy. When they have money to spend, it creates demand, and corporations must grow to create the supply to meet the demand. Currently corporations are making record profits and sitting on trillions in cash but are not growing because there is a lack of demand. I am not in favor of handouts. I believe that everybody that can work should work, but when they do, they should earn a living wage, and yes, pay proportionately lower taxes, and create the demand for the widgets that corporations supply. Individual businesses, driven solely by their bottom lines, keep labor costs low by employing as few people as they can to meet demand and paying them as little as they can. Contrary to conservative belief, the government does produce jobs when it invests in education, public safety, and infrastructure. The money that these people earn, both gov't employees and private contractors, comes right back into the economy,creating demand which is the only thing that spurs corporate growth. So you see any loss in corporate revenue and profit is temporary. It comes right back to them, but now more people are working, increasing the tax base and ultimately cutting government costs by lowering the number of people needing government assistance.


  2. #62
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,049
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    229
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    554
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Chats
    54
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts


    Re: Presidential Candidate Q & A on Recreational Fishing

    You can try to call this anything you want, but class warfare is being used as a tool to fool the masses and get votes. Today at lunch I heard an Obama campaign ad on the radio, and the exact words that they used were "make the wealthy pay their fair share". It has nothing to do with belief, just the fact of what is being said. Go search the internet, you'll probably find the ad somewhere.

    Roll up the windows Brian, you're letting the stank out.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    147
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    1
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post


    Re: Presidential Candidate Q & A on Recreational Fishing

    Like I have said-Stockholm sybdrome.


  4. #64
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,854
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,612
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,077
    Thanked in
    693 Posts
    Chats
    3100
    Groans
    28
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts


    Re: Presidential Candidate Q & A on Recreational Fishing

    Let me address the payroll question first. Since the average salary in the USA is around 50k anyone paying 110k or more is paying twice what the average salary worker pays. It goes up every year. I'm sure in your mind it would be fair to have no cap but please explain to me how that makes any sense since you can be pretty much assured that "the rich" will have their benefits cut in the future via means testing. And since social security and Medicare is in trouble largely due to government borrowing from SS and waste,fraud, and abuse in medicare what would the purpose of giving them more money be other than to continue to borrow it and waste it. Now you claim many wealthy filers pay no payroll tax and the word many generally means a lot so what's the number in your mind. The reality is that very few folks pay no payroll taxes. With the advent of globalization, corporate interests stretch beyond the bounds of our shores. On the other hand small and medium business has emerged as the main driver of economic growth in the U.S. since most small businesses file as individuals just the payroll tax increase alone is a deterrent to expanding jobs and opportunity. I could add on the enormous impact of the affordable care act which will hurt businesses with more then 50 employees. There are trillions of dollars sitting outside the U.S and that's where they will stay until someone gets smart and provides a realistic tax amnesty policy to bring that money home. Again big business is global not nationalistic.

    The government does not create jobs: it creates economic policies that either foster job growth or hurt job growth. Corporations and people assess those policies and make decisions about whether to risk their own capital and intellectual capacity to form new business, expand business, or contract. It's really that simple.

    Investing in education at the federal level has both a cost and a benefit. As a country we spend more per student than any other country yet are nowhere near the top. The answer seems to be we need to invest more but of course it's verboten to ask what happened to the investment that was made. The DOE has a budget of 50 Plus billion dollars. How much of that reaches the classroom?

    Your last sentence seems to indicate that things are getting better. The main measure of whether an economy is improving is in GDP growth. This has been tending down not up. It's somewhere south of 2% and that equates to no growth in real terms.

    Quote Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
    Please don't misinterpret "fortunate". I have worked all my life and consider myself fortunate. I have no complaints with my lifestyle. Payroll taxes, which fund the big entitlement programs, hit low-income households harder than most since 100% of their income is subject to them. High-income filers pay a lower percentage of their income in payroll taxes since wages subject to the Social Security tax are capped at $110,100. Many wealthy filers pay no payroll taxes at all because they are not on a "payroll". This is not a class or party argument. It is economic. Middle class and low-income spenders are the engine of the economy. When they have money to spend, it creates demand, and corporations must grow to create the supply to meet the demand. Currently corporations are making record profits and sitting on trillions in cash but are not growing because there is a lack of demand. I am not in favor of handouts. I believe that everybody that can work should work, but when they do, they should earn a living wage, and yes, pay proportionately lower taxes, and create the demand for the widgets that corporations supply. Individual businesses, driven solely by their bottom lines, keep labor costs low by employing as few people as they can to meet demand and paying them as little as they can. Contrary to conservative belief, the government does produce jobs when it invests in education, public safety, and infrastructure. The money that these people earn, both gov't employees and private contractors, comes right back into the economy,creating demand which is the only thing that spurs corporate growth. So you see any loss in corporate revenue and profit is temporary. It comes right back to them, but now more people are working, increasing the tax base and ultimately cutting government costs by lowering the number of people needing government assistance.


    "Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    147
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    1
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post


    Re: Presidential Candidate Q & A on Recreational Fishing

    You are correct. I believe that no cap would be fair, and presently there is no such means testing. Government most certainly does create jobs, or did the over 600,000 government workers who were laid off in 2011 just imagine they lost a job. Tax amnesty was granted in 2009 and 2011. Demand creates jobs-it's just that simple. Payroll taxes and providing workers with affordable health care would be no deterrent for a small or medium sized business that is growing to meet increased demand. It is sad when we look out more for the interests of global corporations than we do for our own workers.


  6. #66
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    536
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    721
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    150
    Thanked in
    121 Posts
    Chats
    5385
    Groans
    33
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts


    Re: Presidential Candidate Q & A on Recreational Fishing

    wow 6 pages of back an forth with a lil education for me.
    All I can say is without moderates in both parties at the house and senate and no bi partisanship....................... we are screwed.

    Yes it is the same old music...but sooner or later we are going to face the music.


  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolve For This Useful Post:

    lightenup (10-24-2012)

  8. #67
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    147
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    1
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post


    Re: Presidential Candidate Q & A on Recreational Fishing

    And that is something we can all agree on. Good show-Lonewolve.


  9. #68
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,854
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,612
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,077
    Thanked in
    693 Posts
    Chats
    3100
    Groans
    28
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts


    Re: Presidential Candidate Q & A on Recreational Fishing

    Presently there are a bunch of iOUs sitting in the imaginary lock box called the social security trust. There depending on what estimates you wish to you use over over 25 million baby boomers retiring in the next 20 years, and the unfunded obligations to provide them entitlements range from 60- 80 trillion dollars. So anyone that tells you that will get full SS and Medicare is just being dishonest. means testing, age increases, and other modifications are coming to a theater near you. No cap on social security means an extra 5 grand out of my pocket. According to you I'm rich so I should just pay it. It's nice for you to be so liberal with money that i have earned especially since I am a ways off from retirement and will likely see reduced benefits. While I would prefer to save it, invest it, put away for my 3 kids college funds, or maybe take a vacation I guess I will give it to uncle Sam. After all he has been so responsible with the money I have given him thus far.

    If you equate the governement hiring people with creating jobs wonderful. But the fact is those jobs are paid for by the taxpayer and again let's look at the costs associated with hiring and paying these folks. I'll be back for the rest of this tonight
    Quote Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
    You are correct. I believe that no cap would be fair, and presently there is no such means testing. Government most certainly does create jobs, or did the over 600,000 government workers who were laid off in 2011 just imagine they lost a job. Tax amnesty was granted in 2009 and 2011. Demand creates jobs-it's just that simple. Payroll taxes and providing workers with affordable health care would be no deterrent for a small or medium sized business that is growing to meet increased demand. It is sad when we look out more for the interests of global corporations than we do for our own workers.


    "Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

  10. #69
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    147
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    1
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post


    Re: Presidential Candidate Q & A on Recreational Fishing

    Currently ssi is projected to be solvent until 2037, and yes some changes must be made. Doing quick math, your additional SSI tax burden of 5000 would have you making somewhere in the area of 220K, so I guess you're doing alright. Should the burden fall on people making more or less than you? I am glad that your children are "fortunate" enough to have parents that will be able to send them to college. My children are fortunate, too.


  11. #70
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,854
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,612
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,077
    Thanked in
    693 Posts
    Chats
    3100
    Groans
    28
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts


    Re: Presidential Candidate Q & A on Recreational Fishing

    Please tell me you are kidding. Of the 16 trillion in on the books debt that we currently have almost 5 trillion is intra govt debt owed to the SSA. If we get a modest credit downgrade in the near future our interest on the debt gets ugly real fast. A projection is basically a guess and lately the guessing has gotten pretty bad. The Di portion of SS goes upside down pretty soon. The projections of solvency were cut by 4 years to 2033.medicare gets hit much sooner and the claims by the administeation that it's preserved because of what they did with the 716 billion dollars fails to mention that they are artificially keeping it whole with a temporary program this year that is billed as experimental ( read shit we are making up so no one finds out until after the election)

    Now you asked a question of who should carry the burden of the looming entitlement changes. The answer is my opinion is irrelevant because the math says it will fall on me. Ok that's life and I accept it but to suggest that I should pay more and get less is just crazy talk. Especially when the extra money I pay is going to be spent by the federal government largely on programs and shit we can do without. In the history of our nation we have never considered spending less, cutting waste, and livng withing our means a virtue. So you will forgive me if I am reluctant to pay more in payroll, federal, state, local, and other taxes until such time as our government cuts spending, eliminates the waste, and comes up with a rational plan to reduce our debt. At that point anyone that is able to pay should put something in the till. Joe Biden thinks its the patriotic thing to do.

    Quote Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
    Currently ssi is projected to be solvent until 2037, and yes some changes must be made. Doing quick math, your additional SSI tax burden of 5000 would have you making somewhere in the area of 220K, so I guess you're doing alright. Should the burden fall on people making more or less than you? I am glad that your children are "fortunate" enough to have parents that will be able to send them to college. My children are fortunate, too.


    "Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

  12. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    704 Hauser Street
    Posts
    3,690
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,266
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,140
    Thanked in
    807 Posts
    Chats
    1619
    Groans
    5
    Groaned 40 Times in 37 Posts


    Re: Presidential Candidate Q & A on Recreational Fishing

    In short, do any of you boobs think we have trillions of dollars of national debt because we don't collect enough in taxes or because we spend too much?

    Hell no and it aint over now.......

  13. #72
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,854
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,612
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,077
    Thanked in
    693 Posts
    Chats
    3100
    Groans
    28
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts


    I think it's because we are fortunate

    "Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Thread Participants: 15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •