Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Re: NEFF site format change...

Quote Originally Posted by boom2it View Post
    Its gotten to the point that I am surprised when there is an actual fishing report, which are few and far between and its not long until a fishing related thread is "high jacked" and heads down hill. I am all for it.
    Part of the fun of this site, is the ball busting....Speaking of hate talk. I hate people without a sense of humor, who always take things seriously...I will Hi-jack a thread to have some fun, and if someone hi-jacks my thread, I don't care...what happens on this site is completely un-important in my life...it is all for fun, and every once in a while I learn something about fly fishing....If it changes a little, I do not care....If it doesn't so what.....I'm not going anywhere.....If it becomes a P.C. site GOODBYE!!!!!

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lightenup For This Useful Post:

dcabarle (08-09-2012), Lonewolve (08-09-2012)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 3 Posts

DC,

If you decide to go through with your plan, what changes would occur to the website? What did you have in mind?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    468 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 23 Times in 21 Posts

D, You know how I feel. Over the years, from time to time, the tenor of the site changes. Certain individuals start stretching the boundaries as to what is acceptable… or rather what members are comfortable reading. Sure, nobody wants to be a commie and start censoring everyone’s free speech… But how is it that most people are totally capable of “self-censoring” their own speech is certain social situations in their lives, but here, it’s a vile, acerbic free for all?

You‘ve read this one before: “All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing”. And here at Neff we’ve got guys “like” ing and “thank” ing words most of us would NEVER say…

But it’s all in fun, right?

I’ve always thought of Neff as YOUR living room, Dennis. When I’m here, I will try to behave as I think you’d like me to. If I don’t like the social mores of Neff, I won’t spend time here.

The dilema is do you lose more people because of reining in of “unacceptable” behaviors or by allowing an “anything goes” approach to turn people off?

John
    Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.--Henry David Thoreau

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Future Fanatic For This Useful Post:

dcabarle (08-09-2012), Trout Fever (08-09-2012)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

It has gotten to the point that I check this site less frequently and spend lesss time since it so often is cluttered with personal vendetta or irrelevant bullcrap, when my interest is in fly-fishing. With the exception of the racist crap (which is small) there is little that will actually offend me, but it is not what I am looking for. Many times I click on the site and based on a quick look at the name of the threads, I just move on. Joking and busting can be entertaining for a short while, but it is the great talent that posts on this site which brings me back. The rest of it takes place without me. I would welcome an alternative where those that just want to bust chops all day can do it elsewhere.

NJPB

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NJpatbee For This Useful Post:

dcabarle (08-09-2012), Johnw (08-11-2012)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    968 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

I'm more or less in FF's camp on this. The BS doesn't bother me very often because I know it is all in good fun. But...
    Quote Originally Posted by Future Fanatic View Post
    The dilema is do you lose more people because of reining in of “unacceptable” behaviors or by allowing an “anything goes” approach to turn people off?
    I think we've lost far more great posters than we have gotten the past couple/few years. The list of posters that brought that right balance of fishing/tying/conservation/gear reports with good-natured ball busting that are now long gone is simply too long to list. And I miss many of them. I talk to a bunch of them via other means and they are all done with NEFF in its current state. My guess is some would come back and others not, but we don't seem to be adding those quality posters any more.

I don't envy any site owner or its moderators and all sites go through cycles. All. It's a fine line between censorship and a total free for all, but maybe it's time to try the reign in some of the BS and encourage more posters like JeffK, Matt Grobert, Bkill, Corndog, Agust, FishAlagnak, and the list goes on and on...

As for site bullies, every one I've ever met in person on any site was somehow broken inside and a total push over in real life. The internet is their weird way of making up for some things lacking in their lives and I've yet to meet an exception to that rule. If you take that to heart, then most of the nonsense won't bother you. Unless, of course, you're one of those broken people

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rusty Spinner For This Useful Post:

dcabarle (08-09-2012), Johnw (08-11-2012), millrun (08-09-2012), NJpatbee (08-09-2012), The_Sib (08-09-2012), tomk6251 (08-09-2012)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    468 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 23 Times in 21 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    Unless, of course, you're one of those broken people
    Piss off, Rusty!
    No one here needs your psycho babble bull shit.
    GST for you, pal.

John
    Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.--Henry David Thoreau

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts

cant we all just get along!! lol i try posting pictures of flies but most of the good tyers have gone and they are who make you better by giving quality advice... still a couple good people around here but not as many as 2 years ago... thank you dennis for bringing this up its a great idea

TF

TF

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Trout Fever For This Useful Post:

NJpatbee (08-09-2012)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

I agree with Rusty and Pat. Seeing the names of the lost reminds of what this used to be like. It was a great fishing site. i used to love reading reports and advice. I don't get to fish as much as I'd like and the site used to provide a little vicarious fishing. A do enjoy arguing as much as anyone but the reminder of what it used to be like was a bit depressing.

Anyone remember flyshop.com back in the day. Shit even NJtrout was good at one point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    301 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

I'm not sure how this is going to develop, but if we go back to something like...
    North Eastern Fly Fishing Rules
    without any mass banning, you may need some more moderators.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

remember when it looked like this?

North Eastern Fly Fishing Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I remember, Tom.
    Them was "the good ole days"

The_Sib

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Future Fanatic View Post

I’ve always thought of Neff as YOUR living room, Dennis. When I’m here, I will try to behave as I think you’d like me to. If I don’t like the social mores of Neff, I won’t spend time here.
    Hell, Beetle shit in his drift boat...imagine what he would do in his living room?

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

Thread Information