Simms
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    LyNcH is offline Dries, wets, nymphs and streamers...it's all good!
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

Re: Salmon River Report 2012

While this is just internet rumor, I heard they are only bumping it up to 285cfs for tonight in order to bring fresh hens into the collection areas for egg collection and the reservoir is still down by around 12'.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

No bait allowed.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 25 Times in 25 Posts

Waterline says 8pm-11:59pm 285 cfs

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
    Mark Twain

http://www.savebristolbay.org/

REAL FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS SPOON FEED

http://www.roehard.com

http://www.glsteelheadco.com

flyI4 is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

anything to keep the fish coming in and the people spending time+ money in the town of pulaski.....

LyNcH is offline Dries, wets, nymphs and streamers...it's all good!
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

Yesterday I made my last trip up to the river and local tribs until the bash.

It was in the upper 20's when I arrive in the DSR lot at 6:30am. It's time to start wearing layers.

Fished a few spots with no real action the first couple hours. Decided I wanted to check some of the tribs and left the DSR around 10am and took a 30 minute drive. The tribs are like they have been all season, low and void of fish, especially steelhead. I put forth a good effort in finding them and walked quite a bit on the 2 creeks I fished.

It had now warmed up so I decided to go back to the DSR and fish a couple areas I was very successful in on Monday. Arrived on location at 2pm and went 3 for 6 and wrapped it up at 4:30p. Also met a couple nice guys from Cooperstown.

After getting out of my waders I decided to stop at the ballpark, 2a, pineville etc. All I have to say is the DSR season pass is worth the money to me just to avoid the crowds and blatant snagging, oh, and then there is the awesome fishing as well.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Getting there. Just need 300 more CFS and we will be golden. Well, as long as it holds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350231661.505424.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	8297

Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 1,767 Times in 491 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hit the river this weekend with a few friends and had a blast ! Not a lot of action up river a few steel are starting to show up around Pineville . The hot spot at the moment is the DSR and there are plenty of steel invading the river there. Managed to swing up a half dozen in two hours of fishing down there to complete an awesome weekend..

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Broadheadscreek For This Useful Post:

dcabarle (10-17-2012), flyI4 (10-15-2012), GARYB (10-16-2012), Lonewolve (10-15-2012), MACFLY (10-15-2012), Trouser Trout (10-15-2012), Trout Fever (10-15-2012), Trout Guy (10-15-2012)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

I also was able to get out this weekend. I fished sunday/monday and spent both days down in the DSR where I could be certain the steel would be and the salmon gone for the most part. Fishing was great both days with fish really turned on in the mornings as usual and then scattered runs/and pickups in action as the day went on. I tried some new right angle nymphing techniques Ive been wanting to try for a while and had some decent success with it considering it was the first time I really gave it a try. Its not easy experimenting out there when the chuck and duckers are ripping fish all around u, but there were so many fish around you couldnt help but hookup now and then regardless of the method you choose to employ.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flyI4 For This Useful Post:

Broadheadscreek (10-15-2012), dcabarle (10-17-2012), GARYB (10-16-2012), Trout Fever (10-16-2012), Trout Guy (10-15-2012)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

FI4
    Loren williams taught me the right angle a few years ago i have been using it since.those are some great looking steelhead.
    i will be up all next week fishing the dsr.do do you use mono or flouro for your tippet?

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

I went w 6 lb drennen floro and felt it was plenty strong to hold the fish and still stealthy on the low water. Down in DSR they are pretty dumb though and haven't had time to get leader shy yet

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was at the DSR yesterday too...FlyI I think I saw you in the upper clay in the morning?

I got there at 7:00 and thought it was a good idea to hit the lower sections...I think everyone had the same idea as it was pretty packed. Couldn't really find too much space to nudge in...

I think I had one of the worst days fishing I've ever had...took a total donut! I don't mind taking a skunk from time to time, but never when people are pulling numbers. I was talking to a guy and our rigs...leaders, fly were pretty much identical...he stepped right in the pocket I had just pounded and hooked up. Total mind boggle...

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Fished the past three days around pulaski.

Saturday was great as the rains allowed the dam release to go up 100 cfs the night before. Flows right about 450 in pineville. With a few tributaries downstream of pineville to the point i was fishing, the flows were OK. the flows must have pushed out, what is hopefully, some of the last salmon. I had 3 salmon on the line in 10 mins of fishing. Lots of coho's on Saturday. Went 2/6 on confirmed steelhead. All as fresh as could be. I must have hooked at least a dozen coho's, all huge silvers. You could spend BIG $$$ in AK and not have that silver salmon action as was witnessed this past saturday. Absolutely fantastic fishery for more than trout.

Sunday was a great day. I woke up in the truck a little later than planned but shit happens. Drove my transient ass to the spot and was on to steel in minutes. Went 7/15 on trout that Sunday, only 1 confirmed salmon hook up. Had dozens of other hook ups where I could not tell what I had on the line, and did not count those. I got chrome on the tape at 27.5"; brownie that day at 29x16.5" with a huge kype jaw. It was great, it even jumped for me while fighting. All egg patterns. Tried swinging a blue soft-collared nymph at chrome I spotted in a tailout but had no takers.

Monday was great, too. Fished 7 am - 9:30 a, went 1/2. Landed fresh chrome, and lost another both on egg patterns.

LOTS of people around. LOTS of unethical shit going on. Pretty shameless how people's behavior changes when they see a fish. Snaggers everywhere. Trout killers everywhere. Even at the DSR. People netting fish and walking across the river with fish in air to show buddy & wonder why they couldn't let the fish swim away. Every snag I pulled from the bottom of the river had 12+ lb. line on it with 4-5 big split shot, as usual. LOTS of people chuckin' and duckin' with crazy amounts of lead at the top of a narrow, choked-in run waiting to snag/line/lift fish. It is unfortunate at the amount of salmon style fisherman that fish in to what is a time where a lot of steel come in. IT's a shame bc they are the most beautiful sport fish anywhere around here.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thrashers.wheat For This Useful Post:

dcabarle (10-17-2012)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by flyI4 View Post
    I went w 6 lb drennen floro and felt it was plenty strong.........
    That's because 6lb Drennen is really 10lb or 8lb depending on the brand you compare it too.

Mark Twain

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread Information