Hatch Outdoors
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 25 Times in 25 Posts

I have been fishing else where and have had the runs all to myself. I won't tell any of you where because I don't want you going there. Then again I haven't caught anything but a bass so I doubt you guys would go anyways.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
    Mark Twain

http://www.savebristolbay.org/

REAL FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS SPOON FEED

http://www.roehard.com

http://www.glsteelheadco.com

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 16 Times in 14 Posts

Re: Salmon River Report 2012

Quote Originally Posted by CTobias View Post
    I have been fishing else where and have had the runs all to myself. I won't tell any of you where because I don't want you going there. Then again I haven't caught anything but a bass so I doubt you guys would go anyways.
    Tonias, I would fish wwith you any fuckin day.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 817 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 40 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Everybody's Friend View Post
    Tonias, I would fish wwith you any fuckin day.
    That's easy to say when you don't have a job......

Hell no and it aint over now.......

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Trouser Trout For This Useful Post:

CTobias (09-22-2012)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Had some more rain today. I will be back on the river when the majority if the crowds head home after the weekend.

Mark Twain

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

River was filled with goons during the middle of the week! There are still some spots where you can find solitude, but the water is so low that fishing really isn't that great since you are limited to the areas you can fish.

Everyone says this is "the most fish they have every seen and the best run ever!" Well no shit asshole. The water is low so you can see more fish and they have no where to go. Swinging has been tough and I've only managed a few hard takes with nothing to show for it. I did rope a shark in the back when I was stripping in my running line. Guess my muddler wanted to hitch a ride.

Until we get more water I will fish my last few days else where.

Mark Twain

flyI4 is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

I did some walking below sportsmans down in those riffles there and had some nice solitude and the runs had some flow there that made for some more enjoyable fishing than what I saw in most other spots. I did see a decent pod of steelhead come in through the DSR on sunday and the reports today from there indicate people are getting into them here and there. It is a known fact however that DSR will exaggerate to fill the parking lot. I'll be waiting til late october for my return, trout fishing seems to be picking up anyway to pass the next few weeks

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was supposed to make a quick run up last Sun-Mon...we decided to bail after receiving some cell pics of the circus.

I think I'll be back up in a couple weeks...

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

I have been enjoying myself else where. Hit a bunch of fish today. Only managed to stick one dinker steelhead and was fighting a good sized fish when I tried putting the wood to it and popped the hook.

It was just nice to have the water all to myself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348864341.332264.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	8246

Mark Twain

LyNcH is offline Dries, wets, nymphs and streamers...it's all good!
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

Took a drive up to the area yesterday with hopes of hooking into my first steelhead. I'll keep this part simple, I didn't.

Took a drive to a few of the semi-local tribs I like to fish. Unfortunately they are still to low and compared to previous trips this time of year, are void of fish, except for a few salmon. All in all I would say this is a good thing as previous fall trips have overall frustrated me when I see how many steelhead go out on ropes when they are not really stocked in these areas. This will hopefully allow for better spring steelhead fishing up there.

Next I went to the SR and fished the DSR for 3-4 hours, with my focus being on steelhead......I've caught enough salmon for 2012. The parking lot was full, but with 3 miles to fish, I was able to fish the 3 locations I had in mind that wight be holding steelhead. In the first spot, there were plenty of salmon in the run, but being on the wrong side of the river for light conditions, I could not see well in the water to spot chrome. I fished it for about an hour of so to only have a few hookups with salmon.

Moved on to another small honey hole and was able to spot a couple steelhead in the tail of the small pool, but they were focused on what the salmon were doing.

The last spot I fished was the tailout of the Joss hole. This spot has been loaded with salmon since early September, and still has huge numbers. To my surprise, the spot I figured the steelhead would be was angler free. In the pod of about 100 salmon, there were 4 steelhead rotating in the mix. I presented perfect drift to them, almost bouncing my presentations off their nose. I guess with so many eggs in the water, they just aren't up for artificials just yet. That is fine. It convinced me that driving up on Monday would be a waste of time due to the crowds and the number of steelhead being lower than what it usually is this time of year. This also means less steelhead will be leaving the river on stingers this weekend, and more for the upcoming months.

Most of the salmon in the river have already started their transformation into zombies. There are still a ton of bright cohos down low in the river, but most kings are in slow motion already.

While I was up there I ran into Philthy Phil for the first time and Simms & his father. Nice to meet other NEFFers on the water.

The DSR & UFZ is loaded with paired up salmon making beds, so by the bash, they should be loaded with chrome. We really need some rain and would be content with even 335cfs for early November. The flows at 185 make it not worth swinging flies.

With low water and anticipated crowds, I decided to break out my Beulah 10'6" 8/9 switch after a couple years of only having it used as a loaner. I forgot how much I loved this rod. The length is perfect for mid-range fishing. What I wasn't happy with was the reel. I used to use a 2nd generation Battenkill Large Arbor IV on it and sold it about a year and a half ago. I regret doing this. I used an Orvis Mid-Arbor V and did not like the drag when fighting salmon. I had the drag set pretty tight, but not too tight and it did alot of jerking and was not very smooth with such large fish on. It has served me well for steelhead when I last used it 2-3 years ago with them, but it is not up to the task of being smooth with salmon.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LyNcH For This Useful Post:

flyI4 (10-07-2012)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by LyNcH View Post
    While I was up there I ran into Philthy Phil for the first time and Simms & his father. Nice to meet other NEFFers on the water.
    Nice to meet you to man... Jeff wacked a steelie right where we were a little after you left. That gave me some faith, we went after them but couldn't get through all the mud after that...
    I will be back up on Sunday night fishing all day Monday. I tried to cancel my room but it was too late, so I gotta roll with it. Hopefully there's more steel in by then...

LyNcH is offline Dries, wets, nymphs and streamers...it's all good!
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

What a difference a few days can make up there!!!

As stated above, I went up on Friday the 5th and it's fair to say I was disappointed in the lack of steelhead....to the point where I wasn't going to return on Monday the 8th as originally planned. I started watching the weather patterns on Sunday and saw a few DSR posts about steelhead coming in, so I pulled the trigger and fished on Monday. I AM GLAD I DID.

It was insane how many steelhead were blasting around the DSR on Monday and they were aggresive and full of fight. I was put in my backing more than once. They were not chilling in the deaper runs, rather in the fast water, sometimes no deeper than 18". If there were kings pairing up, there were a couple steelhead nearbye. Peach egg patterns were the color on Monday. I landed maybe 4-6 steelhead, had on at least 15 throughout the day. Surprisingly, the average angler that day was not attempting to catch chrome, they wanted the big turds in the process of zombifying.

I am hoping to go back up again this Saturday.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LyNcH For This Useful Post:

CTobias (10-10-2012), flyI4 (10-10-2012)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

I'm glad to hear the chrome are in, as usual I was off by a day or two on the prime action.

Looks like they're cranking up the flows today and there supposed to be some rain this weekend...

Hopefully I'll get there with some time to fish on Sunday evening, then all day on Monday...if anyone is going to be there and wants to me up, let me know!!

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread Information