Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wading Rights: Neversink

I know the land below the Neversink Gorge is private but is the riverbed? That is -- if I were to hike out of the Gorge either wading or staying inside the high-water mark would I be trespassing or is the riverbed public?

Not that I'll be fishing the 'Sink any time soon since it's a worthless, sterile stream.

Similar Threads:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

Re: Wading Rights: Neversink

Here we go with the old trespassing question. You can go wherever you want. Don't worry about anything.

Seriously though, for the most part if you stay below the high water mark and gained access and egress legally, you should be OK. In some cases/states, you cannot touch the riverbed but can float through. In reality though, it really has mostly to do with the relationship of local law enforcement, the land owner, and the recreational community.

Be nice, apologize if you make a mistake and get caught, or be ready to pay a fine or fight to the supreme court.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    729 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

What are the laws in N.J. I have a stream I want to fish..it is posted where I want to fish, but I can walk the riverbed to the spots using legal access....is this a high water mark state, or is it trespassing? I will not trespass to fish!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

NJ is a home-rule state. If the cops in the area you want to fish are cozy with the land owners, then you're in trouble no matter the law. Try it out on the Upper North Branch Raritan if you like.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tompg For This Useful Post:

lightenup (04-03-2012)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    729 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tompg View Post
    NJ is a home-rule state. If the cops in the area you want to fish are cozy with the land owners, then you're in trouble no matter the law. Try it out on the Upper North Branch Raritan if you like.
    Sounds typical for NJ...also sounds like a set-up. I will not be trying your suggestion...Thanks for the info.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,041 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 27 Times in 26 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lightenup View Post
    What are the laws in N.J. I have a stream I want to fish..it is posted where I want to fish, but I can walk the riverbed to the spots using legal access....is this a high water mark state, or is it trespassing? I will not trespass to fish!!!!
    NJ practices old English Commonlaw in this area. The landowner owns the stream bed, hence you cannot trespass even below the high water line. Posted or not. I find most landowners allow trespassing for fishing if you ask nicely. Especially if you're a C&R angler.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty Spinner For This Useful Post:

lightenup (04-03-2012)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Thanks for the advise.

Quote Originally Posted by tompg View Post
    Here we go with the old trespassing question. You can go wherever you want. Don't worry about anything.

Seriously though, for the most part if you stay below the high water mark and gained access and egress legally, you should be OK. In some cases/states, you cannot touch the riverbed but can float through. In reality though, it really has mostly to do with the relationship of local law enforcement, the land owner, and the recreational community.

Be nice, apologize if you make a mistake and get caught, or be ready to pay a fine or fight to the supreme court.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    498 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ahlandco View Post
    I know the land below the Neversink Gorge is private but is the riverbed? That is -- if I were to hike out of the Gorge either wading or staying inside the high-water mark would I be trespassing or is the riverbed public?
    In NY, the river bed is owned by the land owner.

But the state has acquired some limited access:
    http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_mari...rneversink.pdf

John
    Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.--Henry David Thoreau

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Future Fanatic For This Useful Post:

Joe D (04-03-2012), McRiffle (04-03-2012)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts

that is true oakland valley bridge just south of there the guy owns to the center of the river.... i called the dec biologist about it after the jackass chased me out of there

TF

LyNcH is offline Dries, wets, nymphs and streamers...it's all good!
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    248 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

In NY, the riverbed is only owned by the owner if they own the banks/land on both sides of the creek. If they only own one side, you can wade and fish the water, but you must get there legally without trespassing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    498 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LyNcH View Post
    In NY, the riverbed is only owned by the owner if they own the banks/land on both sides of the creek. If they only own one side, you can wade and fish the water, but you must get there legally without trespassing.
    Can you explain how that makes sense or point me to a law that explains this?

John
    Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.--Henry David Thoreau

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    87 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by LyNcH View Post
    This is partially true. Landowners adjoining a river own the riverbed in NYS - so if one owner owns both sides, they own the entire for the length of the river that spans their property. If a property owner has the land on both sides of the river, he owns the entire riverbed and an exclusive right to fish it. This means the owner can not only prevent you from wading in the river at all, he can also prevent you from fishing even from a boat. The owner cannot interfere with your right to float down the river.

If the land on either side the river is owned by two different owners, they have shared ownership of the riverbed. So if one landowner wants to post their land, but the other owner allows access, then you have to stay on the side of the river where access is allowed.

"The two best times to go fishing is when it's rainin' and when it ain't."--Patrick McManus.

www.creekaddict.com

Thread Information