Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Angry Carp are killing me

Have a pond 1 mile from the house with carp up to about 10 pounds in it. I've gone after them about 10 times with no sucsess. Tried buggers, nymphs, streamers muddlers you name it. They spook faster than nay trout I've ever seen. Got to keep trying. any ideas?

Andre Valenti

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

How about a hand grenade?
    Come on Andre,you got more class than that,and dont tell me your using a cane rod on those things!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Andre, if you hook one you are in for a real fight. I guess it's hard to tell what they're feeding on but I would try a crayfish pattern off the bottom. Perhaps they are vegan. Throw a handful of corn kernels out there and then put one kernel on your hook with a little weight,maybe even with a strike indicator. Let me know if it works.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    134 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Andre:

Andy B here. Try a pattern that has worked for me. It's called Car Pooling:

Pattern:

Hook: Mustad Curved Nymph Hook Size 10 or 8 80050BR or Simular will do

Thread: Black Danville 6/0

Body: Black Chenille

Ribbing: Grizzly hackle sized around 8 or six. The hackle is tied in at the back of the hook and wrapped forward.

You may weight this fly if you want. Now those Carp all spook no matter what lake or pond or flats your on. The trick is to throw the fly out in thier general facinity and allow the fly to sit for about five minutes. The Carp in NJ from my experience do not go for a lot of movement unless it's a real fly or a Berry dropping from a tree. The fly I described is not pretty but has been affective for me. Give it a try and let me know how you did. One last pattern you might want to also imitate is a milk weed fluff. This has at times moved a carp or two. And last but not least us back home folk when we were between 8 through 10 caught them on home made dough balls. Ah the simple pleasures of youth in a much simpler time.

Andy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Hey Andre,

Carp are more skittish then spring creek browns. Ssshhhh, don't tell anybody, but i normally fish for them on the susqu. I think they call them the fresh water bone fish.

Anyway, Stealth is very important. If they think you're look'n for them, they just sit there and stare at you.

I watch them till they decide to use their nose to look for crawfish (they dig up rocks and look under). Then I cast a beadhead wolly bugger near that area and let it sit. I cast about 3 feet from where they are feeding, then wade below them. Almost like a casting overthem, but not have them run because of the line. And trust me, if you cast over them, it's over.

When they hit the stones or rocks, strip you line towards you and hold on. (I'm sure you know this, but as a side note for others. Let the butt of the rod & reel do all the work. I use a 9wt and been spooled multiple times.)

Along the south branch, when I spot them I get them on san juan worm. But in truth, I rather just let them be. It's about a 30 min fight on my t3 3wt. I don't think it's too good for them or for me for that matter.

As a side note, My first trip with a guide, soak the buggers in fish oil.

here's some site's that have a little info on them too.

Good luck.

http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/...rp+on+the+fly/

http://www.msu.edu/~connert/carp.htm

http://www.flyfisherman.com/midwest/dwcarp/index2.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Guys will try all the advice. CJ, did fish cane the first two times then saw the size of the fish and pulled out a TFO 8 wt. I have no class I would fish a septic system if the fish were rising or would put me into my backing. Of course I would do it with cane.

Andre Valenti

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Try a Titletist ProV1.

I've seen so many monster ones around the golf course ponds I thought they got that way eating golf balls

Michael M.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Wow,I didnt realize how many guys actually TRIED to catch them. I always considered them bottom feeding garbage fish,similar to hooking a large turd. Call me stuck up,but I just dont see the point. And Andre,you have PRIME smallmouth water right up the road from you in Frenchtown.Carp,whew....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

It's GOTTA smell. Use some kind of scent. That does the trick. Of course for purist..............well to hell wiff 'em. LOL. Soak it, chuck it, and wait. Wait a half hour if you have to. Then strip...........AH WOOWWWWWWWW!!! mark....btw, there are plenty of them in the Delaware River down near Bushkill, the Water Gap area.

Mark J. Romero
    www.fudr.org
    607-498-9944
    M&M Fly Fishing
    JazzMark Gallery
    94 Yorktown Road
    Roscoe, N.Y. 12776-5017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

I fish carp and they are tougher than trout! The fly I use most often is a size 10 black wooley bugger with an orange tail, but, I don't think fly selection is a big deal. The carp have to be feeding and leaving a trail in my experience to get them. You must sneak up on them more stealthily than any trout, and the cast has to be perfect (if you cast too far and the fly heads towards a carp they will spook). Let the fly sink in front of the carp and pull it away when it is a few inches away to look like somethong the carp rooted up is trying to get away. Where I fish (mostly the Whippany River), if you catch one carp in a pool the pool is soured for a week (if that happened on the Beaverkill life would be hard!). The benefit is that once you hook one you will be into your backing in two seconds. In England people get all worked up about carp fishing and they are a real challenge on a fly. Tey are also in a lot of places with no torut. Two oddball experiences I have had are that carp and catfish would rise to dropping mulberries in the Delaware in Pburg ( a purple wooly worm is the ticket) and one day strong wind was blowing ants out of the trees in the Whippany and there was great dry fly fishing with foam ants.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Andre,

Last year I hooked a 17+ pound carp on a PA stream on my "0" weight. What a fight.... I caught it on a small clouser minnow. I was using the technique described by JeffK. With the hook facing up it worked great.

www.Bestbugz.com
    "Quality Flies at an Affordable Price"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    320 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

What's the current thinking on carp? Catch & release, or kill on sight?

I have no desire to eat one, but their reputed fighting ability is tempting.

I noticed that in NJ they get the same minimal protection from overfishing as panfish (bag limit = 25). I remember when they were considered totally undesirable in waters inhabited by gamefish. In the 1950s, there was even a rule against using the fry as bait, to prevent accidental introduction.

With the possible exceptions of walking catfish and snakeheads, is there such a thing as a "trash fish"?

Thread Information