Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Re: Bamboo Rod Article

what a quandary.
    Johhny doesn't sell flies but if you ask him he will tie a few up for you.
    is it selling or doing a favor?
    I build rods I don't advertise it or market it in any way.
    If you ask me to build a rod for you I will. is it selling or doing you a favor.
    do I post a pic of the rod for all to see, I know people would love to see it.
    but is it self promotion.
    I believe unless it is blatant selling all is good. not like the spammers.
    so do you want to see flies and rods from talented individuals that you know and provide all the information you could ask for or just google your heart away and hope someone answers in English
    do I watermark all my pics. maybe copyright it. no I think not. there are many talented indiviguals that post there own artwork and ask nothing for it.
    Be careful what you think you want. without the generosity of the artist you may have to rely on pay for view.
    like the nfl network
    That's my rant
    What say you

Arundinaria amabilis

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ronbo For This Useful Post:

Johnny Utah (12-16-2011)

3. The Following User Says No Thank You to Ronbo For This un-Useful Post:

AKSkim (12-16-2011)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
    what a quandary.
    If you ask me to build a rod for you I will. is it selling or doing you a favor.
    so do you want to see flies and rods from talented individuals that you know and provide all the information you could ask for or just google your heart away and hope someone answers in English
    do I watermark all my pics. maybe copyright it. no I think not. there are many talented indiviguals that post there own artwork and ask nothing for it.
    Be careful what you think you want. without the generosity of the artist you may have to rely on pay for view.
    like the nfl network
    That's my rant
    What say you
    Amen Ron!!!!!!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Utah For This Useful Post:

Ronbo (12-16-2011)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts

Ron you are entitled to your rant.

That's all it is plain and simple.

7. The Following User Says No Thank You to AKSkim For This un-Useful Post:

Johnny Utah (12-16-2011)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Dennis,
    Thank you for your no thank you
    That;s make's it all right.
    I win !!!!

Arundinaria amabilis

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ronbo For This Useful Post:

Johnny Utah (12-16-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    494 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
    what a quandary.
    Depends... Is he accepting payment? Sure it's a friendly "favor" but let's face it, the man deserves to be paid for his time and materials (just as I do). Whether or not he wants to accept payment for services is up to him. I don't understand how a man feeds his family by giving things away. I know when I come home from work and I get a call from someone who needs a computer virus removed, I run over and remove it. Now as much as I love computers, there's no way in hell that after working 10hrs I'm doing freebies for anyone unless it's a close friend or family member. Some people feel differently about this and will fix computers after work free of charge. Good for them, I won't.

Depends... Are you accepting payment? If you're accepting payment that's usually called a S _ L E and could possibly be classified as "selling". I'm sorry, but nobody spends a week of their time to build a rod for someone they hardly even know (unless it's for a charity or donation) as a 'favor'. To add to this... There's really only 1 reason that I know who you are; that reason is NEFF. So whether you think you're marketing yourself or not, you are. One of the first names that comes to my mind when someone asks me about a bamboo rod is "Ronbo"; it's not Glenn Brackett's name that comes to mind. Ronbo is who I've been recommending to people for the past few years. I've never even cast a Ronbo rod but I trust in the opinions of the people of this site that I don't question it. Of course that's not always the most accurate way to go but I've at least had the opportunity to feel one of your creations. I'm sure they cast as nice as they look. Once I receive the freebie, I'll be able to back that statement up with data from my own exerience.

It really depends not on how you see it, but as others see it. To someone new coming to the site they might say, "Wow, nice rod" or "What a piece of crap". To someone who knows you as a rod builder, it might come off as self promotion or maybe not. I've never made an fuss about it because in my eyes, I see you as simply displaying a nice piece of work that you're proud of. That doesn't mean someone else is thinking the same thing. Everyone is different. So the answer to your question is, maybe, maybe not but in the years I've seen you post here I've never said a word to you about it. You've sold how many rods throught this site? I don't have a number on this but I'm sure you do. I've never approached you for a kickback. It never even crossed my mind because you're low key. If I thought you were out here pimping your warez, I'd said something a long time ago.

That's fine too. You're allowed to believe this and you can even run a site like this. A lot of people do. I don't and every month I dish out a bit of cash to run the site the way I want to run it. I'm not the king of much but while I'm paying for this domain and host and software and donating my time, I'll run it however I like and while I'm here, I will be KING... KING OF NEFF. I shall be known from now on as King Dennis "The Terrible". Once we go public, you can buy into it and have a say.

I don't think you've ever come to this site and received an answer to a question in any other language unless it was in jest.

I remember when Matt Grobert approached me and asked me for a some pictures to put into a book he wrote. "Kewl... which ones would you like, Matt... I'll go and remove the watermarks from them". You see how this works, Matt asked and I gave. Got Zippo in return and never asked for a dime or complained about it. He let me know right from the beginning that I would not be compensated for it.

Now let me ask you something, Ron... Do you remember how this all started? I simply asked that if Utah Johhny was going to post pictures, etc... they would be welcomed with opened arms, just don't post a picture with a link that says, "if you want to see more, come to another site". I'll also remind you that I never said a word about whatever happened in the chat box but this goes back to how others perceive things. Some people thought it was self promotion. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't but different people will see it and come to their own conclussions.

I'm not sure why anyone would argue with me about this? Afterall, I pay for and maintain a site that's FREE for YOU, FOR HIM, FOR EVERYBODY. I've put countless hours into this site and when something goes wrong with it, I fix it. So what makes your time tying flies or building rods or flying airplanes anymore valuable than my time?

Although we do receive a few donations here and there, I don't have a paypal link in my signature. What I do have in my signature is a link to a photo gallery of my artwork (well... that's subjective but for me, it's my artwork)... Maybe you didn't notice that you can download them for free and use them as your desktop wallpaper or dartboard... whatever you like (and if you're nice enough, I may even remove the watermark for you). You just can't download them and present them as your own and try to sell them. Sure there is a donate button somewhere on the site but I'm not "marketing" myself here, but if I was, so what I'm paying (CURRENTLY PAYING) for it!!!

I'm really not sure what's so difficult to comprehend here by a few of you.

Without the generosity..???!!! Look.. there are a lot of websites you can go to but without the generosity of the webmasters doing the work behind the scenes and paying the monthly bills and paying for software upgrades and etc..., you just might have to rely on payperweb. Stop with the attitudes whereas you think coming to a website should be free just because you woke up and start to appreciate that the websites you visit are in fact costing someone some time and money to keep online. You get a guy like me who does this pretty much for a hobby and has pretty much 1 major rule and you give him a hard time because you dont' like it. What I don't understand is... if it's so bad here, why bother?

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dcabarle For This Useful Post:

golden beetle (12-17-2011)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts

It comes down to common sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by golden beetle View Post
    It comes down to common sense.
    Johnny Jerk and Ronbobo obviously who have a stake in using NEFF to sell their wares are devoid of common sense because it effects their pocket book.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AKSkim View Post
    Johnny Jerk and Ronbobo obviously who have a stake in using NEFF to sell their wares are devoid of common sense because it effects their pocket book.
    I support the artists.

Ronbo -- rod maker.

Johnny -- fly tyer.

And Cabarle -- photographer.

BECAUSE OF NEFF, I found out about Ron and bought a rod from him.

BECAUSE OF NEFF, I heard of Johnny Utah and brought him in to speak to RRTU.

And ALL CABARLE GOT WAS A FEW 5 DOLLAR DONATIONS FROM ME.

No KIDDING.

Sorry Dennis.

I'll send another 5 soon, you greedy BASTARD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

AK
    i enjoyed the article thanks for posting it.

dennis
    the way you run this site is great. i will continue to contribute to your site
    because of the fine work you do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts

Dc, quit your whining. If you dont want to pay to do this dont, and ah forget it all this really doesnt matter to me.

A.K. That's Utah givin you two.

Beetle nice fence playing.

Ron, your rant was appreciated.

It amazes me how wrongly i am persevered because i post free videos and free tutorials. Sorry if you think i have some hidden agenda. Oh wait I do. I enjoy when some one tells me Hey Johnny i seen your video on whatever and i tied that fly and man did it work. It makes me smile and thats payment enough. If you cant understand that, then go pound sand you black hearted baboons.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    494 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
    Dc, quit your whining. If you dont want to pay to do this dont, and ah forget it all this really doesnt matter to me.
    Well... I suppose you're right. We can all have our little fun, can't we.

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
    ... quit your whining.
    Yonny-Po it has only been you who has been going from thread to thread with the constant feeble complaining.

Suck it up little boy.

Thread Information