Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    553 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 25 Times in 25 Posts

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Collins Hackle Farm

First off I must say that I will purchase all my hackle from Collins Hackle Farm from here on out! I contacted Mr. Collins to let him know I would be home at or around a certain date and asked if I could come down to purchase some hackle from him. He had no problem with it, and upon meeting him, he was the most friendly no BS person I have met in a very longtime. He definitely knows his shit when it comes to hackle (and many other issues, but we won't discuss politics). The only thing I ever knew is that the higher grades were more expensive cause some how they were better quality. He explained to me why they are rated higher and what makes a pro grade hackle. I am poor so I only purchased a commercial grab bag and one grade 3 cape and saddle.His capes and saddles are amazing. Mostly I've only ever boought the Whiting's 100's and some of those cheapo 10$ small "dry fly" capes that are crap and aren't good for dry flies.With his prices and quality I can't see why you would purchase from anyone else. Plus you get a saddle when you buy a grade 3 cape or higher! AND he doesn't sell to those schmucks in the hair industry!! Mr. Collins is a great business man and American and he will always have my business.Thanks to all of you who pointed me in the right direction on purchasing hackle from Mr. Collins. He even spoon fed me a little on a creek near him that has big browns in it. I will be stopping down for a few days when I return to try and locate a few.

Similar Threads:
    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
    Mark Twain

http://www.savebristolbay.org/

REAL FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS SPOON FEED

http://www.roehard.com

http://www.glsteelheadco.com

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CTobias For This Useful Post:

danme (12-11-2011), eddavidson9 (12-12-2011), tomk6251 (12-12-2011)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts

Re: Collins Hackle Farm

Collins hackle has come along nicely over the years. I have used whiting necks and saddle, same with metz, collins, and keough. Whiting is still my preference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts

collins is guaranteed if the hackle doesnt rap true send it back and they will give you another.... good american company that knows where their bread is buttered chris glad you had a good visit with them

TF

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Trout Fever For This Useful Post:

CTobias (12-11-2011)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CTobias View Post
    First off I must say that I will purchase all my hackle from Collins Hackle Farm from here on out! I contacted Mr. Collins to let him know I would be home at or around a certain date and asked if I could come down to purchase some hackle from him. He had no problem with it, and upon meeting him, he was the most friendly no BS person I have met in a very longtime. He definitely knows his shit when it comes to hackle (and many other issues, but we won't discuss politics). The only thing I ever knew is that the higher grades were more expensive cause some how they were better quality. He explained to me why they are rated higher and what makes a pro grade hackle. I am poor so I only purchased a commercial grab bag and one grade 3 cape and saddle.His capes and saddles are amazing. Mostly I've only ever boought the Whiting's 100's and some of those cheapo 10$ small "dry fly" capes that are crap and aren't good for dry flies.With his prices and quality I can't see why you would purchase from anyone else. Plus you get a saddle when you buy a grade 3 cape or higher! AND he doesn't sell to those schmucks in the hair industry!! Mr. Collins is a great business man and American and he will always have my business.Thanks to all of you who pointed me in the right direction on purchasing hackle from Mr. Collins. He even spoon fed me a little on a creek near him that has big browns in it. I will be stopping down for a few days when I return to try and locate a few.
    CT -- Im so glad you you took my advice and looked into Collins Hackle -- Im even happier that it worked out for the best for you -- I agree his knowledge and quality are very comparable to what METZ NECKS used to be 25 years ago -- In reality his necks are the BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK -- He also will not sell necks or feathers to hair dressers which says alot for his integrity as a "FLY FISHING SUPPLIER OF FINE NECKS AND SADDLES"

Good Luck with your purchase -- I Know you will be pleasently surprised as to haw nicely they wrap -- Yep I said it -- They wrap GREAT and thats a big part of making flies that not only catch fish but are pleasing to the eye of a human.

Peace
    Dan

Limit your kill -- Dont Kill your Limit

7. The Following User Says Thank You to danme For This Useful Post:

CTobias (12-11-2011)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

More kudos for Charlie Collins. I haven't bought to many dry fly necks from him since I have plenty and don't go through tehm, but really like his hen necks for wets. All the necks have a nice color variation that I think makes a better fly. Plus they are a good buy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

Glad you like Charlie Collins hackle Chris ! I have been tying with his necks now for 8 years and have to say they are a fantastic deal. He has a great range of colors his barred gingers and dunns are awesome. I can't wait to see him at Somerset as he finally has two birds in a specific bronze dunn that I like and has saved them for me, as they don't come often in his flock. Your going to love tying with these capes for sure!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Allen when you say bronze dun. Do you mean dun center with a bronze(brown) outside, similar to how a badger or furnace is? If so i hope he has more, i have been looking for that hackle. Its beautiful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

Yes JU I got one several years ago from Charlie and have asked every year since,this year I was surprised when he said he had one for sure and possibly two . So I asked him to save them for me and he said he would . I have to give him a call in the next few weeks he said they may be ready for the Fly Fishing Show. Can't wait as this bronze dunn is the best I have ever had and I'm about out of the remaining hackle in this color that I had gotten from him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Your a lucky duck Allen, Those hackle are NOT an easy find especially in with well marked feathers.

I like his "greenwell" hen necks. Great ginger furnace necks. Perfect for the greenwell glory. (duh) His hen necks are comparable to whiting hen necks, They both can be used as soft dry fly hackle. Both companies necks and saddles are a pleasure to wrap with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

CT, I'm glad to hear that you took my advise before anyone elses. Charlies stock goes back more years than anyone's. Being in business for over twenty-five years he has learned a thing or two. His cock and hen capes are the best. I'll put them up against anyone's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

I think I have more Collins necks and saddles than Charlie has and tell him that every time I see him! They are the best value for the buck. Enough said!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

JU

Are you speaking of the Ginger Dunn from whiting? Dun in the center ginger on the outside?

Is that what you are looking for?

Thread Information