Hatch Outdoors

View Poll Results: The Bear Truth

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • You hand you friend the bear spray and prepare to fight the Grizzly to the death if necssary

2 22.22%
  • You tell your friend to run and face the bear alone with bullets and spray

0 0%
  • You hand the spray to your friend, keep the gun and run

0 0%
  • You shoot your friend in the leg (just enough to wound him). Hand him the spray and run like hell

7 77.78%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Future Fanatic View Post
    I'm afraid that a shotgun would only piss off a charging grizzly bear. One might just want to take a different tack and put it under one's chin.
    The shotgun example was meant more that they are more user friendly In a stressful situation and less aim dependent just like bear spray.

My brother and all his Alaska guide friends all preferred the spray. This was do purely to effectiveness. My brother used his three times with success. One even used to carry a gun, but after having a 1000 lb bear still hit him after being shot twice in the head just from the momentum of charging switched to spray.

7 days without fishing, makes one weak.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

Re: You and a friend are confronted by a large Grizzly Bear

You're not supposed to aim for the head, unless you can stick the barrel in his eye. Their skulls are too thick and angled, your round is more likely to just deflect off. Most big predators have thick skulls since they go in head first for the attack.

I'm going to fish in big bear country someday (I fish in small bear country now), so I've been boning up on the facts. Reality is there is a small chance you'll be attacked, but you and your buddy should be prepared anyway.

Roll up the windows Brian, you're letting the stank out.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    682 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 32 Times in 32 Posts

Lighten up Cabarle
    Quote Originally Posted by dcabarle View Post
    You're all stupid... By some of the "logic" I've heard from some of you, why not just say 3 our fathers, 2 hail mary's, etc... Send your kids to the center of town to get stoned (right after you auction your daughters off for slavery) and call it a day!!! If you believe in this, you will be saved.

On another note, why not question why God would send the bear in the first place? I know... God doesn't like you and probably meant to hand each of you a gun so you could shoot yourselves 1 time each in the leg and just to make the bear happy (god loves bears) he'll let the bear finish you off.

Thank god for guns (and bears) and mosquitos and a whole bunch of other things like war and foxholes (so you'll have a place to pray) and NIKE because God wants your feet to be comfy when you're sitting in your foxhole and AIDS (gotta thank the big guy for AIDS) and car accidents and train wrecks and money (god LOVES your money!!!! He loves your money so much, he has his name inscribed on every cent and dollar in your pocket (unless you're me, I cross his name out with a sharpy and replace it with my name)).

have fun!

---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

Not any snake, MacFly... A TALKING SNAKE!!! Just like the one in the garden of Eden!

"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MACFLY View Post
    Lighten up Cabarle
    I "believe" that we should just crucify him.

GOT NAILS ?

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    682 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by AKSkim View Post
    I "believe" that we should just crucify him.

GOT NAILS ?
    Let's not spend good money on nails.you shoot him and I will spray
    him with bear tenderizer and we can feed him to the bear

"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Trout Nazi View Post
    You're not supposed to aim for the head, unless you can stick the barrel in his eye. Their skulls are too thick and angled, your round is more likely to just deflect off. Most big predators have thick skulls since they go in head first for the attack.

I'm going to fish in big bear country someday (I fish in small bear country now), so I've been boning up on the facts. Reality is there is a small chance you'll be attacked, but you and your buddy should be prepared anyway.
    They don't charge sideways...

The fact is, most bear attacks don't occur at 100 yds with a full on charge. Mostly people walk around the corner and there's Momma bear and cubs. She swings at you, and boom your toast. I think most people would shoot themselves in the foot first. The other percentage is "Conditioned" bears who learn to chase people off kills or backpacks etc. Theres a landing that we put in at where my brother had a bear confrontation. He saw the boat pull up, came running out of the woods, because he knew it was a fish cleaning place and saw a free dinner.

I am busting chops a little bit. If a bear shits in the woods does anybody step in it?

Here's an interesting story for you:

Backpackper Shoots, Kills Grizzly In Alaska Park | Fox News
    Took this guy NINE rounds from said 0.45 to stop the bear, even then he walked away to die.

If we're talking about deadly woods critters, we should talk about Moose too!...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I found a picture of what would happen...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bear vs Bear Spray.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	6128

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 27 Times in 27 Posts

How much can you get for a daughter? just wondering, I have been looking at the new Sage One and trying to figure out how to afford one

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

actually I shoot my friend in the head and leave him for bear food, then I save the one bullet and spray in case i encounter another bear

To look good is to fish good

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MACFLY View Post
    You and a friend are fishing in a remote section of yellowstone Park.
    You have just concluded an epic day of fishing for wild cutthroat trout and are preparing to head down the trail to your car wher you will drive back to yellowstone lodge for an equally epic dinner and cocktails. Against park regulations, you have packed a 44 caliber pistol but only have 2 bullets left. You also have a can of bear spray also known as bear perfume. As you approach the trail a Very large Grizzly charges from a distance of 100 ft. what do you do?
    The regulations that you ignored were to prevent a pissed off winged bear attack you or some other hapless fisherman who had no idea that you just winged a bear in the leg.
    The regs are there for a reason. When I worked out in Alaska we used a sawed off 12 gauge pump with #6 bird shot followed by #2 buck shot followed by slugs. Never killed one but sprayed some bird shot at their feet a couple times to scare em off.
    Now, through the passage of time and gathered wisdom, bear spray is a far better deterrent, at least in Alaska where the bears are doing the same thing as you.
    In the Rockies, the worst thing you can do is surprise a bear on a fresh kill, They are a whole different animal. Not a whole lot you are going to do there either with a gun or spray.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    682 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Thanks Ranger Rick...and now back to our program
    Quote Originally Posted by brachycentrus View Post
    The regulations that you ignored were to prevent a pissed off winged bear attack you or some other hapless fisherman who had no idea that you just winged a bear in the leg.
    The regs are there for a reason. When I worked out in Alaska we used a sawed off 12 gauge pump with #6 bird shot followed by #2 buck shot followed by slugs. Never killed one but sprayed some bird shot at their feet a couple times to scare em off.
    Now, through the passage of time and gathered wisdom, bear spray is a far better deterrent, at least in Alaska where the bears are doing the same thing as you.
    In the Rockies, the worst thing you can do is surprise a bear on a fresh kill, They are a whole different animal. Not a whole lot you are going to do there either with a gun or spray.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 27 Times in 27 Posts

Some people cant take a joke. Take a look at the choices on the poll

To look good is to fish good

12. The Following User Says Thank You to WBDluver For This Useful Post:

MACFLY (09-30-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts

"Hatchery fish have the same colors, but they always seem muted like bad reproductions of great art." Bill Barich

Thread Information