Delaware River Club
    MJahnz is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking to get lost.

I'm looking to do some hiking in central NY this weekend in celebration of independence. I'll be carrying a one man tent, a fly rod, some flies, a distiller, and three days worth of food. My goal is to explore some smaller Catskill tribs in search of wild brookies. Size is not an issue. I have the Slide Mtn area near Denning in mind at the moment but I was wondering if anyone has alternative suggestions. I'm new to the Catskills but have some knowledge of the major rivers in the area just not the tribs.

Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

MJ,

I've not been there(yet) but I hear that the upper Neversink area above the reservoir, both the east and west branches, is just beautiful. I don't know about camping laws, so that you'll have to find out for yourself. Another area you might consider is the upper Willowemoc above the DeBruce Club waters. Same disclaimer about camping.

Have a great time and keep it clean.

Allan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

MJahnz,

Over the years, I've done a lot of hiking in the area you're planning to visit. But I have not gone with fishing in mind, just hiking. Although the Neversink would be good for fishing, it mostly follows the roads and the large majority of it is posted above the res, so if you're looking to get away from the road, it may not be an option. However, there is a trailhead at the end of Denning Road that does follow the E Branch of the Neversink. About a mile up the trail, there will be the trail to Table Mtn and Peekamoose Mtn and taking that trail, you'll cross Deer Shanty Brook and then imeediately after that, the EB of the Neversink. I've never fished the area but it should be interesting (should be some Brookies there). If you're into the hiking thing like I have been, you'll want to do Peekamoose. It's a good, steep one, climbing more than 1600 ft from the parking lot in a little over 3 miles, and most of it in the last 1.5 miles. But that's less than the 2600 ft climb from the trailhead at the other end, beginning along Peekamoose road. The Cornell-Wittenberg-Slide trail is a great one to do but I don't think you'd find much fishing along the way as most of the elevation is too high for much of a stream to hold fish (probably they freeze solid in the Winter). There is trail a few miles from my house that goes over to the upper Ver Noy Kill. It definitely has numbers of trout in it and it's a fairly easy hike to get to. Also a very pretty stream, with a few falls where the trail crosses the stream. There are many other options. I assume you have maps and trail guides, but if you need more info, send me a PM. Have fun!!!

Bruce

By the way, the view from the top of Wittenberg is definitely one of the best in the entire Catskills!!! You get a great view of the upper basin of the Ashokan and on a clear day you can see the Berkshires!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

MJ,

The entire area these guys have described lies with the boundries of Catskill State Park. You can camp anywhere you want as long as it's 100 ft. from a rd., trail, or water unless it's at a degignated camping area. These are marked with a round, plastic (about the size of a pringles top) marker which reads "Camp Here". If you chose the Upper Willow you can park at the Long Pond trailhead on Flugertown Rd. in Willowemoc. The stream is right across the road and is public from about 1/2 mile downstream up to it's headwaters. From the top the headwaters of the Beaverkill aren't very far, easily less than a 1/2 day hike. Wherever you go I'me sure it will beautiful an d the trout will be plentiful and willing. Good luck and enjoy.

Keith

MJahnz is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Thanks for the replies guys. The upper EB Neversink at the end of Denning Rd. is exactly where i'm looking. Hope the weather is good. I can't wait.

The upper Willow area looks interesting too. It looks possible to skip over to Fall Bk, hike up the mountain and down the other side to the upper BeaverKill as you suggested BEAMOC. That'll have to wait for another weekend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Hope you had a good time MJahnz. One thing to remember is that there are wild brookies in almost any and every little brook you will find in the Catskills. Little jewels of blue and purple, and red, and orange. Please release them.............i know it's hard to not want to eat one. I always want to "just take one" but i don't. They're just to damn precious. Enjoy your self. mark...........

Mark J. Romero
    www.fudr.org
    607-498-9944
    M&M Fly Fishing
    JazzMark Gallery
    94 Yorktown Road
    Roscoe, N.Y. 12776-5017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Re: Looking to get lost.

Biscuit Brook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,003 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 26 Times in 25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tompg View Post
    Biscuit Brook
    I hope he wasn't waiting 14 years for your reply?!?

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

good info is good info. The post with the wayback machine prompted me to do a little key word search. Even if this place is not so active anymore, it is certainly a treasure trove of good info. And Biscuit Brook seem like a good place to get lost and maybe fish a bit. There really isn't as much real good back country fishing in the Catskills as one might think. At least not too many place I've hiked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Biscuit Brook is very nice but during the nice weather, you'd probably see other hikers and/or campers. It's a great day trip. I've been there a couple times over the last few years after seeing a video on you tube from astro camper.

Thread Information