Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

huh New to fishing the SBR, what am I doing wrong?

I just moved back to NJ after 8 years in Colorado (I know, I know....), anyway. Been fishing the SBR just north of 31 by the big bridge before entering Flemington. I never see anyone else fishing, so does that stretch suck? I like fishing where there aren't others, but I guess I am gonna have to change that in NJ.

I pretty much always fished with dries in CO, but it seems that the fish aren't rising yet (despite seeing alot of hatch activity this afternoon. mayflies?). Been trying PTs on a dropper setup trying to fish mid-water/bottom, but haven't had a single bite let alone even seen one fish.

Really don't know what flies to use around here. Is the KLG a nightmare on weekends? Even at dawn?

Similar Threads:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts

Re: New to fishing the SBR, what am I doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by NJtoCOtoNJ View Post
    Is the KLG a nightmare on weekends? Even at dawn?
    Bears.

Killer bears.

But I wouldn't let that stop me if I was you.

You and the bears will be.. all.. a.. .lone in there.

Welcome to NJ fly fishing.. it is a real killer sport in KLG.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

So you didn't provide a vital piece of info, are you catching fish? Just not enough?

A long time ago I lived in Longmont. There were still dirt roads in my neighborhood...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I haven't caught anything in the 2 times I have gotten out so far this year.

Any by nightmare, I mean is every fly fisherman within 50 miles hiking up the gorge on a saturday?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    886 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 69 Times in 59 Posts

I haven't caught anything in the 2 times I have gotten out so far this year.

Any by nightmare, I mean is every fly fisherman within 50 miles hiking up the gorge on a saturday?
    For the first few weeks of my fishing, I didn't tie on a fly.

That explained why I wasn't catching fish.

Are you tying on a fly at least?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts

KLG in April.

A nice road runs along the length of it

Easy to walk and wade.

Only gets better as the spring and into summer progress.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Welcome back to NJ and welcome to the site. You've been fishing the SBR too far down stream for reliable trout fishing. There are two large impounded areas upstream that warm the water to a point where trout no longer hold over downstream. Ive heard that the stretch between Clinton and KLG holds over some fish, however for the best fishing you should be fishing from the bottom of KLG up to and above Long Valley. There are plentiful access points from KLG to Califon and from Califon to Middle Valley. Dry fly fishing has already been decent in this area and will only get better as the sulphers come on.

KLG is often a madhouse, but you can sometimes get lucky. You can also find more open water by going early or late.

One other suggestion - you should pick up Matt Grobert's book on Fly Fishing in New Jersey. They'll have it at Shannon's Fly and Tackle Shop in Califon.

Good luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gadfly For This Useful Post:

Rusty Spinner (05-09-2011)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

I just moved back to NJ after 8 years in Colorado (I know, I know....), anyway. Been fishing the SBR just north of 31 by the big bridge before entering Flemington. I never see anyone else fishing, so does that stretch suck? I like fishing where there aren't others, but I guess I am gonna have to change that in NJ.

I pretty much always fished with dries in CO, but it seems that the fish aren't rising yet (despite seeing alot of hatch activity this afternoon. mayflies?). Been trying PTs on a dropper setup trying to fish mid-water/bottom, but haven't had a single bite let alone even seen one fish.

Really don't know what flies to use around here. Is the KLG a nightmare on weekends? Even at dawn?
    There is alot of water in the gorge to fish. Eventhouh it can get crowded there are so many pockets that if you cross the river or fish pockets that are somewhat difficult to get to, you will fish spots that nobody does, except me. Also fish during the week if you can. I suggest fishing 1st thing in am and just before dark. You can also fish other rivers ect that are less crowed, then gp to the KLG or another popular river at those less peak times. Why the hell did you move from Co? I have been trying to get my wife to move there since I married her. Did you hunt there? Its a shame you had to move to NJ. It pretty much blows if you like the outdoors. If you want to go next friday or sat. Let me know, Ill hook you up on the KLG.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

certainly anglers are attracted to the gorge, so expect decent numbers just about every saturday. however, most congregate to their usual holes.

do yourself a favor, and fish the b water. fish those fast riffles, runs, don't be tempted by the slower water pools where you see people stacked up. there are a ton of fish in that place, i would try dry dropper in shallow spots, or just euro techniques for the riffles...perfect technique to catch fish there. nymphsssss are your friend.

I live in Jersey, 20 minutes from there and I was still struggling until I started going away from the usual draws.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    807 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 40 Times in 37 Posts

Fish right next to everyone.. be loud... light a cigar...pack a flask.....don't look for the spots where nobody else is...cuz they aint got no fishes...they aint hiding in some secret riffle...or next to some rock....the fishes are in the big holes thats why everyone is there...but look good...that's how we fish in Jersey....don't you know to read stream...you look for the people....when you see the people you know where the fishes are.....

Hell no and it aint over now.......

Corner of grey street and the end of the world
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    725 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

TT, I ALMOST groaned your post, telling folks the secrets of trout fishing on a public forum.
    Shame on you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I have fished the section you are talking about and I am not a fan of that section of the river. I would go north to the Camp Carr (Hamden Rd.) section. You can catch in that section year round and it is a little less crowded than KLG. The down side being that you will have to endure canoers and tubers during the summer as that is popular around there. If you need directions send me a PM.

Bringing dapper back....

http://www.facebook.com/njdrew

Thread Information