Simms

View Poll Results: Do you keep a journal?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    10 47.62%
  • No

    11 52.38%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 25
  1. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    1060 West Addison, Chicago....
    Posts
    4,410
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,209
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,029
    Thanked in
    692 Posts
    Chats
    4446
    Groans
    30
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts


    Re: Do you keep a fishing journal?

    Great thread...I have been thinking about starting a journal, but I like surprises, and probably wouldn't be consisitent with it, and in the end it would probably confuse me. So I will continue to fly by the seat of my pants....I like exploring, so if I don't write it down, I will be fishing a new spot everyday.......

    "I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

  2. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,859
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,614
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,079
    Thanked in
    694 Posts
    Chats
    3104
    Groans
    28
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts


    I don't keep one. I prefer there be no evidence.

    "Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

  3. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    704 Hauser Street
    Posts
    3,690
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,266
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,140
    Thanked in
    807 Posts
    Chats
    1619
    Groans
    5
    Groaned 40 Times in 37 Posts


    Re: Do you keep a fishing journal?

    I stopped keeping one years ago, when i realized every page had the same note, "caught my limit"........

    Hell no and it aint over now.......

  4. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pompton PLains
    Posts
    559
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    482
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    169
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Chats
    97
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Re: Do you keep a fishing journal?

    I don't keep a journal but I do have a log book issued by the NJDF&W. The purpose is to log your catch on the special regulations, TCA's and seasonal TCA's. I figure if future regulations are based on feedback from these logs, its worth keeping them. One interesting find was on the upper Flat Brook a few weeks ago. I caught what I believe to be 2 wild rainbow trout around 5 inches in length. I wish I had my camera because as far as I know, there are no documented catches of wild rainbow's in Flat Brook.

    "The great charm of fly fishing is that we are always learning." Theodore Gordon



  5. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    nunya fuckin business
    Posts
    296
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    12
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    162
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Chats
    0
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts


    Re: Do you keep a fishing journal?

    i'd rather fish a trout stream and let geirach write about one

    i'm just too lazy to even start one


  6. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Utah's Fly Corner
    Posts
    1,350
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    572
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    621
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Chats
    746
    Groans
    16
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts


    Re: Do you keep a fishing journal?

    Lay off the dope and remember! Better write that one down.


  7. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    917
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    489
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    162
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Chats
    0
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post


    Re: Do you keep a fishing journal?

    I started again this year after a 35 year lapse! I add a lot more editorial than I used to.

    NJPB

  8. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    704 Hauser Street
    Posts
    3,690
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,266
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,140
    Thanked in
    807 Posts
    Chats
    1619
    Groans
    5
    Groaned 40 Times in 37 Posts


    Re: Do you keep a fishing journal?

    Quote Originally Posted by PRomano View Post
    I don't keep a journal but I do have a log book issued by the NJDF&W. The purpose is to log your catch on the special regulations, TCA's and seasonal TCA's. I figure if future regulations are based on feedback from these logs, its worth keeping them. One interesting find was on the upper Flat Brook a few weeks ago. I caught what I believe to be 2 wild rainbow trout around 5 inches in length. I wish I had my camera because as far as I know, there are no documented catches of wild rainbow's in Flat Brook.

    I have caught small very well colored rainbows as well on BFB. I just assumed they were wild.

    Hell no and it aint over now.......

  9. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    4,253
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,176
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    900
    Thanked in
    552 Posts
    Chats
    826
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 25 Times in 25 Posts


    You guys probably have hello kitty journals. As Simms would say, you're all a bunch of wizard sleeves.

    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
    Mark Twain

    http://www.savebristolbay.org/

    REAL FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS SPOON FEED

    http://www.roehard.com

    http://www.glsteelheadco.com




  10. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pompton PLains
    Posts
    559
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    482
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    169
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Chats
    97
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Re: Do you keep a fishing journal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trouser Trout View Post
    I have caught small very well colored rainbows as well on BFB. I just assumed they were wild.
    I checked with a few knowledgeable people who in turn contacted Pat Hamilton at the hatchery. According to Pat no wild rainbow trout population exist in Flat Brook. So it looks as if the hatchery placed those little ones in there. Thats not a bad idea considering the FB will be C&R. Those fish will be allowed to grow in the stream and become somewhat wild in time.

    "The great charm of fly fishing is that we are always learning." Theodore Gordon



  11. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    York & Starlight, PA
    Posts
    307
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    11
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    9
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    2
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Re: Do you keep a fishing journal?

    At one time I kept a journal but never added to it with any consistency. To be honest, and I'm not BS'ing, back in the summers of 1968 - 1972 I used to drive to Montana and fish there from June 01 to Labor Day. I fished many of the blue ribbon rivers before the onslaught of newbies who were attracted to FFing in the 1970's and 1980's. I fished Armstrong Spring Creek when it was free and Nelson's when there were two half day sessions. Each one costing a whopping $10.00. I caught so many big fish that I just wouldn't of had the time to keep an accurate journal day, after day, for ninety days.

    Ditto for the Delaware system. It was very good and I often had days where I landed a dozen good trout. By the time I'd get back to the camper at dark I was too tired to want to make journal entries. All I wanted to do was drive to Hancock for dinner at the Circle E and hit the rack.

    Fly fisher for fifty-five years and still loving it!

  12. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Roselle Park, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    5,504
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    755
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,056
    Thanked in
    508 Posts
    Chats
    1329
    Groans
    17
    Groaned 13 Times in 12 Posts


    Re: Do you keep a fishing journal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wbranch View Post
    At one time I kept a journal but never added to it with any consistency. To be honest, and I'm not BS'ing, back in the summers of 1968 - 1972 I used to drive to Montana and fish there from June 01 to Labor Day. I fished many of the blue ribbon rivers before the onslaught of newbies who were attracted to FFing in the 1970's and 1980's. I fished Armstrong Spring Creek when it was free and Nelson's when there were two half day sessions. Each one costing a whopping $10.00. I caught so many big fish that I just wouldn't of had the time to keep an accurate journal day, after day, for ninety days.

    Ditto for the Delaware system. It was very good and I often had days where I landed a dozen good trout. By the time I'd get back to the camper at dark I was too tired to want to make journal entries. All I wanted to do was drive to Hancock for dinner at the Circle E and hit the rack.
    Must have been quite an adventure back in the day! Fishing when not a soul in sight!

    Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Thread Participants: 19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •