Hatch Outdoors
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

where to wade fish this weekend?

Delaware seems blown out for wade fishing, how about the Beaverkill or Willow? I'll be camping up near Long Eddy, but am not bringing the boat.

Similar Threads:

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Re: where to wade fish this weekend?

Originally posted by CR
    Delaware seems blown out for wade fishing, how about the Beaverkill or Willow? I'll be camping up near Long Eddy, but am not bringing the boat.

Try Equinunk Creek - not Little Equinunk Creek which is where Soaring Eagle Campground is - but Equinunk Creek.

The color looked fine yesterday.

You'll need a PA license.

Cross Kellums Bridge, take Teeple Road to PA Route 191. Go North on 191 until before Equinunk.

About 10 miles from LE.

BTW, Callicoon Creek is also off color.

Good fishing to you...
    TR
    www.delawareriverfishing.com

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

CR, I like high water flyfishing, especially if there's bugs on the water, which there will be. If there's anything rising, they're easy to fool under those conditions. Just yesterday I fished the raging Lehigh River and caught three fish in the pocket of slower water on the left side of this photo with a beadhead nymph.

I consider the Delaware very fishable with the Callicoon gage at 4.3 feet. Just below Kellum's Bridge on the NY side is a beach type area that extends for a good ways down. You can wade some and easily reach fish on the edge of the heavy current. Just below the mouth of Basket Creek is a real nice area you can fish at that level also. The upper East Branch is very fishable at 900 cfs. The lower EB can be good also at high water if fish are rising in the flat water areas. High water fishing can be fun because you know right where the fish are. They're not spread out all over the river. Many are bunched up in slow water areas right near shore. If you find a clear water trib dumping into a high, murky river away from the heavy current, wow, the fish are sometimes stacked up like cordwood. If all else fails, fish the tribs.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Originally posted by Mark Griffin

I consider the Delaware very fishable with the Callicoon gage at 4.3 feet. Just below Kellum's Bridge on the NY side is a beach type area that extends for a good ways down. You can wade some and easily reach fish on the edge of the heavy current. Just below the mouth of Basket Creek is a real nice area you can fish at that level also. The upper East Branch is very fishable at 900 cfs. The lower EB can be good also at high water if fish are rising in the flat water areas. High water fishing can be fun because you know right where the fish are. They're not spread out all over the river. Many are bunched up in slow water areas right near shore. If you find a clear water trib dumping into a high, murky river away from the heavy current, wow, the fish are sometimes stacked up like cordwood. If all else fails, fish the tribs.

Right...fish the tribs like Equinunk Creek as mentioned in the post above.

FYI, the main stem is not wadable at 4.3 feet. Normal levels for this river are 2.8 to 3.3 feet.

And, anything above 3.7 feet is a push wading.

It's not only height - but current speed.

The main stem is a big river with no islands for the most part - except for those about .5 miles north of Callicoon; 1 mile south of Hancock; Frisbie Island and the PA side island - which is now under water - before Dark Eddy - to break the flow into any side channels.

Two more "islands" on the MS: the NY side island at Knight's - most of it under water when the river is up a foot+ and Stacer's out of Long Eddy on the NY side - which is primarily a gravel bar.

The only thing I agree with you is that under conditions currently on the MS, fish are concentrated closer to the shore since the current is up and moving fast.

However, under these conditions, a boat is the practical way to fish.

Good fishing to you...
    TR
    www.delawareriverfishing.com
    Narrowsburg, NY

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

thank you both for your advice!

Thread Information