Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    693 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts

Re: Somerset show CRITICISM

What does that have to do with FFF teaching kids how to cast....the answer is nothing. Between you and GB you both sound like a couple of whiny kids. Just grow up the both of you
    Quote Originally Posted by Trouser Trout View Post
    I wasn't there, i think..... But, I completely agree with GB on this one, as a comment in general on society I am tired of everything being for "the kids", when we were kids we would go places with our parents and we would keep quiet, sometimes it wasn't any fun, we survived and the world didn't have to revolve around us. Somehow in the last 20 years EVERYTHING needs to be about the kids, which is bullshit. I have three kids, we have tons of fun together, we fish, ski, hunt play organize sports, sit down for a family meal just about every night, go to church and laugh our asses off at each other , but they also understand the world doesn't revolve around them. Unfortunately there are far too many parents who forgot the word "NO" and make it a full time job kissing their kids ass.

"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    807 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 40 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MACFLY View Post
    What does that have to do with FFF teaching kids how to cast....the answer is nothing. Between you and GB you both sound like a couple of whiny kids. Just grow up the both of you
    Pipe down Macfly, I'm not complaining about some group teaching kids how to cast, but I can picture the scene..... A fly fishing show does not need to revolve around children...... i'd be willing to wager that most kids were taking their very first casts that day.... how cute.... that is what their fathers are for..... not a fly fishing show trying to placate them and their feckless parents fawining over them...... nothing was accomplished....

Hell no and it aint over now.......

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    693 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts

That's exactly what you and melon head are complaining about. I didn't get to cast a fly rod whine whine whine. The kids took up too much space whine whine whine. You 2 should go pop open a box of wine and drown your sorrows
    Quote Originally Posted by Trouser Trout View Post
    Pipe down Macfly, I'm not complaining about some group teaching kids how to cast, but I can picture the scene..... A fly fishing show does not need to revolve around children...... i'd be willing to wager that most kids were taking their very first casts that day.... how cute.... that is what their fathers are for..... not a fly fishing show trying to placate them and their feckless parents fawining over them...... nothing was accomplished....

"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    807 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 40 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MACFLY View Post
    That's exactly what you and melon head are complaining about. I didn't get to cast a fly rod whine whine whine. The kids took up too much space whine whine whine. You 2 should go pop open a box of wine and drown your sorrows
    I'm not whining, I wasn't even there. but, a fly fishing show is an adult event where children come secondary. Adults pay admission and don't need to be exposed to Romper Room in every turn of their lives. And there are vendors looking to sell their wares, who don't need to be placating children.

Hell no and it aint over now.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

The common concern among flyfishers, fishing clubs, Fishing conservation organizations, manufacturers, and the like, is that there's not enough young blood coming into the sport to perpetuate it. I've heard this continuously in recent years from many sources (I heard it twice at Somerset!) and you could verify it by looking at the age bracket of those attending the show. Nowadays, kids seem to be more interested in electronics (video games, computers, super phones, I-Pods, Blackberrys, etc.) playing spectator sports, and sports like skateboarding. Perhaps that might explain the effort directed to teaching children how to cast.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andy For This Useful Post:

kbuchta (01-28-2011), WBDluver (01-28-2011)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

What kids? I was there all day Sunday and saw maybe a half dozen, most of whom were with parents and in scout gear. None of whom were lined up at the casting pool amongst the almost dozen adults.

"You hate people"..."But I love gatherings, isn't it ironic"

Thread Information