Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Re: SOOOO what did you get at the show

I attend the show for two days every year, primarily to look for new ideas, replenish my fly tying materials, see old friends, and be entertained at the seminars. My best purchases this year were packages of 100 tungsten beads for $12 and Pettijean's CDC feathers. I want to start using more CDC for mayfly wings but find the stuff I've bought in the past is too unruly and makes sloppy wings. I haven't tried it yet, but his stuff looks like it will do a better job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MACFLY View Post
    Well if he booked the trip through the guide I am thinking of he will have a pretty good shot at a trophy brown or rainbow. There are a few streams holding some very large trout in North Georgia. Heck you can catch a 10lb Brown on the Chattahoochee river on the outskirts of Atlanta with a little luck. The Soque is the river I am thinking of. There are 30 inch fish in that river for sure.
    Yah, drive 800 miles to fish for pellet pigs. That's the ticket

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    694 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by narcodog View Post
    Yah, drive 800 miles to fish for pellet pigs. That's the ticket
    Well if thats not your thing so be it. I was responding to thrashers.wheat who implied with his post that such fish dont exist in warm Georgia. Not true I say. North Georgia has some gorgeous trout water. Small streams holding native brookies to larger streams holding some respectable fish. A trip down South starting in Virginia and working across North Carolina, tennessee and then dropping down into Georgia is just a great way to explore some unheralded flyfishing. So I say to River Fox enjoy the trip to Georgia and maybe next time take the drive and fish some other states along the way. You will not be disappointed.

"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

4. The Following User Says No Thank You to MACFLY For This un-Useful Post:

golden beetle (01-26-2011)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well if thats not your thing so be it. I was responding to thrashers.wheat who implied with his post that such fish dont exist in warm Georgia. Not true I say. North Georgia has some gorgeous trout water. Small streams holding native brookies to larger streams holding some respectable fish. A trip down South starting in Virginia and working across North Carolina, tennessee and then dropping down into Georgia is just a great way to explore some unheralded flyfishing. So I say to River Fox enjoy the trip to Georgia and maybe next time take the drive and fish some other states along the way. You will not be disappointed.
    Let me say this, I was being sarcastic for sure but someone has sold this fellow a bill of goods if he told him he is going to catch 10lb Browns. I have lived and fished N. GA since '61 so I am fairly certain I know what these water hold. Are the 10lb Browns yes but to catch them well the second coming of Christ will come before that. The Chattahoochee holds some as did the Toccoa. How do we know this, eletro shocking that's it. The Toccoa had a fairly good population of Browns until last year when the TVA drained Blue Ridge Lake and sent the water temps to 80*. There was a study just completed and about 90% of the fish, big, fish were killed. GA does not manage for Browns and the "Trophy" waters hold Bows very few Browns as the hatchery's don't raise many Browns.
    You would have a better chance of catching a 10lb Brown on the Delaware.

So my point is why drive 800 miles to catch pellet pigs when you can fish the "Trophy" waters of PA or NY. If one wants to come South and fish for big Browns the places to go are the Watuga and S. Holsten both are managed for big Browns.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to narcodog For This Useful Post:

golden beetle (01-26-2011)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts

Mac, you are some kind of loser, you know that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts

Step right up boys.

Git.. ya bamboooo rod here....

Git ya bambooooo rod here.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    694 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by narcodog View Post
    Let me say this, I was being sarcastic for sure but someone has sold this fellow a bill of goods if he told him he is going to catch 10lb Browns. I have lived and fished N. GA since '61 so I am fairly certain I know what these water hold. Are the 10lb Browns yes but to catch them well the second coming of Christ will come before that. The Chattahoochee holds some as did the Toccoa. How do we know this, eletro shocking that's it. The Toccoa had a fairly good population of Browns until last year when the TVA drained Blue Ridge Lake and sent the water temps to 80*. There was a study just completed and about 90% of the fish, big, fish were killed. GA does not manage for Browns and the "Trophy" waters hold Bows very few Browns as the hatchery's don't raise many Browns.
    You would have a better chance of catching a 10lb Brown on the Delaware.

So my point is why drive 800 miles to catch pellet pigs when you can fish the "Trophy" waters of PA or NY. If one wants to come South and fish for big Browns the places to go are the Watuga and S. Holsten both are managed for big Browns.
    Soque River which is where I believe River Fox will be fishing has Brown 3 12lbs as well as Rainbows. Now in February which is when he is going he may have a good chance of catching a large fish..perhaps not 10lbs but honestly does it really matter...let me answer that for you..NO it doesnt. So he will likely have a good time while the rest of us freeze our asses off in the Northeast.

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by golden beetle View Post
    Mac, you are some kind of loser, you know that?
    Ouch you are so mean

"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Thread Information