Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

How to land fish on 8X.

Just thought I'd share this funny bit of advice I found on the internets:
    "don't fight the fish, tire it out, work it out of the current and into slower water or warmer pools which contains less oxygen."
    How can I prevent 8x tippet from breaking when a fish takes a fly?

Similar Threads:

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coolkyle For This Useful Post:

brough (01-19-2011), Dr. Gonzo (01-19-2011), jlajoie (01-23-2011)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Re: How to land fish on 8X.

maybe you should retitle this "how to kill fish"? who here uses 8x? i've never even owned it.

if you're gonna go light, use a supple rod and play the fish hard. better to lose a live fish than release a dead one.

Edit:

i should say, there is reasonably good advice in how to play fish in there...but going too light and fighting them to exhaustion is not it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    807 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 40 Times in 37 Posts

I fish almost exclusively for small wild easily spooked fish and would never use an 8x leader.

Hell no and it aint over now.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by coolkyle View Post
    Just thought I'd share this funny bit of advice I found on the internets:
    "don't fight the fish, tire it out, work it out of the current and into slower water or warmer pools which contains less oxygen."
    How can I prevent 8x tippet from breaking when a fish takes a fly?
    I will use 8x for #20 flies and smaller only if the conditions warrant it. I'll go to 8x for a couple of reasons:

1. As a dropper
    2. As a single fly/emerger in those very difficult to catch situations.
    3. If I know I'm targeting fish under 15".
    4 Speciific applications. There's a well known Beaverkill pool where a veteran Beaverkill fisher gave me advice that immediately improved my success in that pool. The pool has multiple seams going at different rates often with lots of risers. He insisted I change up to a very long leader 12'-14' with a good length of light tippet at the end (7x-8x). The idea was to let the terminal tippet coil up when it lands on the water so that it can drift freely for a few moments. Otherwise, getting a dragfree drift is impossible. Works like a charm!

If I do hook a big fish, I expect that the odds are against me. My success with bigger fish on 8x comes by going against my nature. I'm generally a slower fisher type. But, in these circumstances, I would really try to give the fish a good jab(on or immediately after hookset) in an awkward direction in an attempt to take advantage of that early disorientation. This pretty much relies on either the cast being a short one where the fish is closer to me and I could attempt to net the fish while it's disoriented or having a partner there to net the fish.

If you're planning on eating the catch, then go ahead and tire it out. That being said, you might be surprised with how much you can get away with on 7x-8x when pulling a fish and trying to 'be the boss'. Of course, one well timed head shake by the fish and it's all over.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to streamfisher For This Useful Post:

coolkyle (01-20-2011), eddavidson9 (01-20-2011)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

I carry 8x and replace it each year, but I haven't used it in a couple of years. I have had success using 8x since I use full-flex rods for this type of fishing (usually limestone spring creeks in the Summer), and remember that today's 8x is much stronger than it was 25 years ago. That being said, I try to use the largest tippet size that the fishing will allow, but if I tie on a size 24 (not easy for me) I may go 8x.

NJPB

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NJpatbee For This Useful Post:

eddavidson9 (01-20-2011)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 1 Post

Yeah thats smart to tire the fish and then bring it into warm water lol. and that he used 6x or something on peacock bass. The only time I would ever consider to use this light of tippet would be on smaller fish and in water no higher than 60 or lower than 40. But I have never come across a situation where even 6x was too big. I ahve used 7x once in my life, and it was just stupid tryin to land fish. Funny article though man.

Ps. I was reading up on stuff in Argentina...on spring creeks no one uses anything lighter than 5x. Attaching hoppers to 2x. Two weeks and im in paradise

"We are what we repeatedly do. Success, therefore is not an act, but a habit." ~Adam Frey

10. The Following User Says Thank You to skipper3245 For This Useful Post:

coolkyle (01-20-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts

All I use is 7x or 8x I find that the flies generally seem to be more natural. It also helps when you consistently use lighter tippets that when you get down to smaller patterns 20- 28 range you won’t be horse hooking the fish. I also find while using a smaller tippet I know this will sound crazy I learned not to break tippets as much while fighting fish.

"Hatchery fish have the same colors, but they always seem muted like bad reproductions of great art." Bill Barich

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

The only thing I can say is -- If You have never used 8X tippet than you have NEVER fished the Lakawaxen In PA Below Lake Wallenpaupack in and Around the township of Rowlands -- Those Fish are SMART -- REALLY SMART -- They will refuse your fly and you will scratck your head in bewilderment

The Lakawaxen will definately seperate the men fro the boys in this fine sport --- It has humbled MANY GREAT FLY FISHERMAN and will continue to do so

Nuff Said

Peace
    DAn

Limit your kill -- Dont Kill your Limit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by tomfly View Post
    All I use is 7x or 8x I find that the flies generally seem to be more natural. It also helps when you consistently use lighter tippets that when you get down to smaller patterns 20- 28 range you won’t be horse hooking the fish. I also find while using a smaller tippet I know this will sound crazy I learned not to break tippets as much while fighting fish.
    I'm guessing you don't fish a lot of streamers or big nasty flies like Kaufmann Stones, or even stimulators?

Quote Originally Posted by danme View Post
    The only thing I can say is -- If You have never used 8X tippet than you have NEVER fished the Lakawaxen In PA Below Lake Wallenpaupack in and Around the township of Rowlands -- Those Fish are SMART -- REALLY SMART -- They will refuse your fly and you will scratck your head in bewilderment

The Lakawaxen will definately seperate the men fro the boys in this fine sport --- It has humbled MANY GREAT FLY FISHERMAN and will continue to do so

Nuff Said

Peace
    DAn
    I definitely want to check this river out. I made the mistake of confusing it with the Lackawanna (I mean, seriously, river-namer guys...) last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by coolkyle View Post
    I'm guessing you don't fish a lot of streamers or big nasty flies like Kaufmann Stones, or even stimulators?

I definitely want to check this river out. I made the mistake of confusing it with the Lackawanna (I mean, seriously, river-namer guys...) last year.

Highly suggest a Wading Staff and keep an eye on the rocks around you --- If they open the Hydro Electric Dam Tubes the Water rises FAST -- The Caddis hatches aer UN-BELEIVABLE Thousands at a time if u catch it Correctly --- it is tough fishing You would swear to god there isnt a trout in that river until it BOILS at sunset and when I say BOIL i mean BOIL -- There are some trout in that river that are easily 8 lbs or better

Good Luck

Peace
    Dan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

I use 8x alot. Small flies (28-32's) and highly educated fish you need to. Soft rods and being able to steer the fish are key. I don't tire the fish out just keep them off balance and bring them in quick. It is amazing how much pressure you can put on a fish with 8x if you are using the right rod.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trico mike For This Useful Post:

eddavidson9 (01-24-2011), NJpatbee (01-22-2011), Trouser Trout (01-21-2011)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Mike -- You bring up a good point -- Keep the fish "off Balance" but I am going to take it a step further -- as you know most FLY RODS are long 8' being the Normal --- Now most people think the length of the rod is for casting and I agree it is, that is just 1 facet of rod length.

The length of the rod also allows you to fight bigger fish with LIGHTER LINE dut to the fact that the rod length acts more or less as a shock absorber. Has any one ever heard of a NOODLE ROD for Salmon and Steelie fishing --- That idea for a LONG Spinning rod for 4lb test line or lighter to land BIG FISH came from the FLY ROD.

I hope this adds a little more thought and insight to the 7X-8X Tippet problem

Peace
    DAN

Thread Information