Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Article on Impact of Didymo in Fish & Wildlife Magazine

Found this on singlebarbed.com.

Didymo may be more of an eyesore than despoiler of watersheds | Singlebarbed

Didymo may be more of an eyesore than despoiler of watersheds

By KBarton10 on Jan 13, 2011 in environment

didymo_poster The latest issue of the US Fish & Wildlife magazine, “Eddies” is devoted completely to aquatic invasives. Not just the standard fare we’re used to seeing, but many of the plants that are causing issues for the deep South and Texas.

Now that the fissures in rubber shoe soles are being blamed for seed travel, and once you’ve glimpsed the effect of Giant Salvinia or Water Chestnut on a waterway, you wonder how much longer they’re going to let us get in the water, period.

There was a hint of good news, however. Our old pal Didymo may not be as bad as first thought, given that the biosecurity professionals in New Zealand have not detected any benthic “dead zone” caused by the diatom smothering the river bottom;

In spite of widely held presumptions that didymo “smothers” invertebrate populations and therefore harms fisheries, research has proven the opposite. “That’s what the prediction was,” says Vieglais, “but our results proved otherwise and the fact that there has been no collapse of the New Zealand trout fishery since didymo arrived bears that out.”

Resembling despoiled toilet paper is still undesirable, certainly an eyesore for a heretofore pristine creek, but whether its periodic bloom is permanent or transient, it’s certainly a comfort to know that its impact on the fishery may be much less forbidding than first thought.

… welcome news, as Didymo is but the first in a long line of invasives that could result in our feet being banned entirely from the watershed.

Similar Threads:
    "Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MACFLY For This Useful Post:

tomfly (01-21-2011), Trout Fever (01-14-2011), WBDluver (01-14-2011)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Article on Impact of Didymo in Fish & Wildlife Magazine

Macfly,

Thank you for the post. My first reaction was a sigh of relief, but I think one scientific finding is just that. Hopefully the results are replicated, and the didymo problem in our rivers does turn out to just be an eye sore. (fingers crossed)

My second reaction is "Darn it"! (I just retired my felt boots, and replaced them with Vibram soled)

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Walter H View Post
    Macfly,

Thank you for the post. My first reaction was a sigh of relief, but I think one scientific finding is just that. Hopefully the results are replicated, and the didymo problem in our rivers does turn out to just be an eye sore. (fingers crossed)

My second reaction is "Darn it"! (I just retired my felt boots, and replaced them with Vibram soled)
    If you click on that link the article itself has a link to an even bigger story on invasive species and the threats to our waterways. Its a PDF file that you can download and read if you wish. I think felt is going away soon in any event so no worries on that front.

"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    807 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 40 Times in 37 Posts

This should be a pretty easy one to figure out. what has happened to the fish population in streams where didymo didn't exist and was recently found in great quantity?

Hell no and it aint over now.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MACFLY View Post
    There was a hint of good news, however. Our old pal Didymo may not be as bad as first thought, given that the biosecurity professionals in New Zealand have not detected any benthic “dead zone” caused by the diatom smothering the river bottom;

In spite of widely held presumptions that didymo “smothers” invertebrate populations and therefore harms fisheries, research has proven the opposite. “That’s what the prediction was,” says Vieglais, “but our results proved otherwise and the fact that there has been no collapse of the New Zealand trout fishery since didymo arrived bears that out.”
    Ahh... I can't help thinking of nuclear power plants and hydraulic fracturing....

John
    Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.--Henry David Thoreau

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 27 Times in 26 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MACFLY View Post

… welcome news, as Didymo is but the first in a long line of invasives that could result in our feet being banned entirely from the watershed.
    Not Didymo, but whirling disease would be the first biggie that woke us up to transfer of invasive nasties in our trout rivers. We've been fighting the effects of whirling disease for decades while Didymo is still relatively a new one to most of us.

On the topic of water chestnuts, their seed pods are large as in approx. 3/4" or more in one direction and they won't be carried by either felt or rubber. They will not be a threat to moving water such as trout streams, but are a major threat to still water environs. We have that species present in the upper Musky watershed, having virtually taken over Lake Musconetcong. Last summer several hundred plants were also found and quickly eradicated in Lake Hopatcong upstream. A comprehensive study in kayaks and canoes of that lake has kept the threat out for now, but birds and boats are the prime transporter of that invasive plant species and diligence needs to be kept to keep the lakes healthy. I have a PAL fishing pond in my community which is actually a year round wet detention basin. Two years ago I first spotted water chestnuts in the pond covering maybe 1/5 of it. By last summer, it was nearly 100% covered. I would expect all fish (warmwater species in this pond) to be dead by the end of this coming growing season since nobody is doing anything about the issue. The PAL held their last kids' fishing derby last summer and are now in need of a new pond in our town to continue the event.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts

Didymo is but the first in a long line of invasives that could result in our feet being banned entirely from the watershed.[/QUOTE]

This is just what some radical animal rights/environmental groups want is to completely ban fishing and hunting. Stop the perpetrators from spreading invasive species and ban the evil gun. Give me a brake, Sportsmen have been hunting and fishing and tromping through streams forever and a day, and are actually the biggest advocates of conservation. But we are always the group who is the blame for these unsubstantiated causes of environmental issues. This crap needs to stop! We as sportsmen need to remember not to jump on the bandwagon when someone cries wolf or claims that the sky is falling. Not until we get all the facts, then and only then we can make proper and rational assessment to what actually is the cause and is there truly an environmental impact . Just a thought.

"Hatchery fish have the same colors, but they always seem muted like bad reproductions of great art." Bill Barich

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tomfly For This Useful Post:

Trouser Trout (01-21-2011)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

So the "antis" are plotting to keep us from wearing felt?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly View Post
    So the "antis" are plotting to keep us from wearing felt?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    No what I am saying is the "anties" do not want us in the stream period.

"Hatchery fish have the same colors, but they always seem muted like bad reproductions of great art." Bill Barich

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomfly View Post
    Sportsmen have been hunting and fishing and tromping through streams forever and a day, and are actually the biggest advocates of conservation. But we are always the group who is the blame for these unsubstantiated causes of environmental issues. This crap needs to stop! We as sportsmen need to remember not to jump on the bandwagon when someone cries wolf or claims that the sky is falling. Not until we get all the facts, then and only then we can make proper and rational assessment to what actually is the cause and is there truly an environmental impact . Just a thought.
    Hmmm.... Amen!

John
    Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.--Henry David Thoreau

Thread Information