Hatch Outdoors

View Poll Results: Professional Or Not Professional

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Professional. Guides should respect other guides with clients on their days off.

    11 37.93%
  • Not Professional. We Live in America, he can fish where he wants.

    11 37.93%
  • Who cares, I don't like guides anyways. A bunch of know it all goons.

    7 24.14%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 30
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    4,221
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,149
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    896
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Chats
    825
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 25 Times in 25 Posts


    Professional Or Not Professional? That is the question.....

    This is a hypothetical poll. I'm not saying this does or doesn't happen, but hypothetically speaking......

    Do you think it is unprofessional for a guide to tell another guide he can't fish a certain part of a river on his day off? Telling someone they can't "play" in a certain area and should only be there if they are getting paid.

    Some say there are unwritten "rules" that guides must abide by when they become guides. Last I checked everyone had to pay a fee for a license that allows them to fish public water ways just like the next person who pays for a license. Just curious as to what some of you may think.

    Similar Threads:
    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
    Mark Twain

    http://www.savebristolbay.org/

    REAL FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS SPOON FEED

    http://www.roehard.com

    http://www.glsteelheadco.com




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NE PA, NY, NJ
    Posts
    1,569
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    393
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    675
    Thanked in
    321 Posts
    Chats
    2
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Re: Professional Or Not Professional? That is the question.....

    Perhaps the opposite is true. It is unprofessional for a guide to fish in water where his counterparts have clients. It's a good thing when guides have professional courtesy toward each other and yield water to others when they're not working.

    "I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

    www.FlyFishTheDelaware.com


  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe D For This Useful Post:

    dcabarle (11-20-2010), steve b (04-09-2012)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    704 Hauser Street
    Posts
    3,690
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,266
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,140
    Thanked in
    807 Posts
    Chats
    1619
    Groans
    5
    Groaned 40 Times in 37 Posts


    Re: Professional Or Not Professional? That is the question.....

    The question is too vague, it depends on how big the water is, that being said I have only fished with a fly fishing guide once, and if i know he is with a client in a certain area i respect that he is trying to make a living and choose another spot. common sense and respect should be the rule.

    Hell no and it aint over now.......

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Trouser Trout For This Useful Post:

    dcabarle (11-20-2010)

  6. #4
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey's scenic Ramapo Valley
    Posts
    2,769
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    161
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    467
    Thanked in
    312 Posts
    Chats
    42
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts


    Re: Professional Or Not Professional? That is the question.....

    I agree, the question's too vague.

    Are you talking about keeping a respectful distance from people already fishing, not cutting them off, & etc...
    See: Rules for the River
    Or a free for all?

    Seems that if you stay out of sight, or too far away to be recognized, they won't even know if you're an off duty guide...

    If you're talking about a waterbody so crowded that it's normal to share a location, but you abide by the customary courtesies (whatever they are), your guide status shouldn't matter.


  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pete For This Useful Post:

    PRomano (11-07-2010)

  8. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    4,221
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,149
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    896
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Chats
    825
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 25 Times in 25 Posts


    Re: Professional Or Not Professional? That is the question.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Trouser Trout View Post
    The question is too vague, it depends on how big the water is, that being said I have only fished with a fly fishing guide once, and if i know he is with a client in a certain area i respect that he is trying to make a living and choose another spot. common sense and respect should be the rule.

    Lets just use the fictional number of 13 miles, and say the river just happens to be the size of the Salmon River in Pulaski, New York. If you were a new guide and a guide came up to you and said to stay off of the upper river on your day off, how would you take it? Or just simply said stay home and dont fish.

    ---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I agree, the question's too vague.

    Are you talking about keeping a respectful distance from people already fishing, not cutting them off, & etc...
    See: Rules for the River
    Or a free for all?

    Seems that if you stay out of sight, or too far away to be recognized, they won't even know if you're an off duty guide...

    If you're talking about a waterbody so crowded that it's normal to share a location, but you abide by the customary courtesies (whatever they are), your guide status shouldn't matter.

    Distance wont matter. They'll see you in your boat.

    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
    Mark Twain

    http://www.savebristolbay.org/

    REAL FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS SPOON FEED

    http://www.roehard.com

    http://www.glsteelheadco.com




  9. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NE PA, NY, NJ
    Posts
    1,569
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    393
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    675
    Thanked in
    321 Posts
    Chats
    2
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Re: Professional Or Not Professional? That is the question.....

    If you were a guide on any river and other guides are fishing that same section of water with clients, wouldn't you want to practice some professional courtesy toward your fellow guides and not fish the same water? Seems simple enough...

    "I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

    www.FlyFishTheDelaware.com


  10. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    4,221
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,149
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    896
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Chats
    825
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 25 Times in 25 Posts


    Re: Professional Or Not Professional? That is the question.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
    If you were a guide on any river and other guides are fishing that same section of water with clients, wouldn't you want to practice some professional courtesy toward your fellow guides and not fish the same water? Seems simple enough...
    It's not the fact that your even fishing that day. It's the fact that another guide out right told you don't come up to this part of the river if you're not guiding. I wouldn't give two shits if another guide wanted to fish the same section of water I was fishing. I have personally had guides say "hey Chris" anchor 10' below me and start fishing with their clients. No big deal. I just pulled my boat up another 30' upstream and started pooning on fish right in their face. I made sure to let them know every time I hooked a fish. It's not my fault you suck at fishing and I got to "your spot" first. Maybe you should have gotten up earlier.

    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
    Mark Twain

    http://www.savebristolbay.org/

    REAL FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS SPOON FEED

    http://www.roehard.com

    http://www.glsteelheadco.com




  11. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NE PA, NY, NJ
    Posts
    1,569
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    393
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    675
    Thanked in
    321 Posts
    Chats
    2
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Re: Professional Or Not Professional? That is the question.....

    Quote Originally Posted by CTobias View Post
    It's not the fact that your even fishing that day. It's the fact that another guide out right told you don't come up to this part of the river if you're not guiding. I wouldn't give two shits if another guide wanted to fish the same section of water I was fishing. I have personally had guides say "hey Chris" anchor 10' below me and start fishing with their clients. No big deal. I just pulled my boat up another 30' upstream and started pooning on fish right in their face. I made sure to let them know every time I hooked a fish. It's not my fault you suck at fishing and I got to "your spot" first. Maybe you should have gotten up earlier.
    The key to your question is the word professional. I think you need to define what you mean by that. Getting paid for something isn't the only thing that makes someone professional.

    The way I see it, being professional means that during the course of your activities you maintain a high level of mental alertness. You strive against laziness that would hinder your concentration and negatively affect your judgment and thought process. You have self-confidence. But your self-confidence is natural to you. You do not boast or announce it to others. Instead, others see it and yet admire your humbleness. You keep yourself as physically fit as your life situation allows enabling you meet any challenges the day brings your way. Your appearance is neat for the situation you're in and you take pride in how you present yourself to others. Others will look toward you as a teacher of sorts and expect you to be a leader.

    To sum it up simply, being a professional is about education, occupation and expertise on a given subject. Being professional is more.



    "I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

    www.FlyFishTheDelaware.com


  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe D For This Useful Post:

    PRomano (11-07-2010)

  13. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    4,221
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,149
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    896
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Chats
    825
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 25 Times in 25 Posts


    Re: Professional Or Not Professional? That is the question.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
    The key to your question is the word professional. I think you need to define what you mean by that. Getting paid for something isn't the only thing that makes someone professional.

    The way I see it, being professional means that during the course of your activities you maintain a high level of mental alertness. You strive against laziness that would hinder your concentration and negatively affect your judgment and thought process. You have self-confidence. But your self-confidence is natural to you. You do not boast or announce it to others. Instead, others see it and yet admire your humbleness. You keep yourself as physically fit as your life situation allows enabling you meet any challenges the day brings your way. Your appearance is neat for the situation you're in and you take pride in how you present yourself to others. Others will look toward you as a teacher of sorts and expect you to be a leader.

    To sum it up simply, being a professional is about education, occupation and expertise on a given subject. Being professional is more.



    Well.....haha...by your definition I don't think any of the guides up there might fall into the professional category. Haha....Good to see other people's views though. I personally thought it was a load of horse shit that someone would say that to another person. I wasn't even guiding, just fishing almost every day after I got out of the service and had some guides tell me to get on the water after them and their clients so they could have first shot at the fish. This just made me get there earlier. I stayed out of their way and even skipped over spots so they could fish them. Just don't out right tell me I can't fish a piece of public water because you feel you have more of a right to fish it than I do just because you're getting paid that day. No one made them become guides. They chose their profession. Just hot I feel. Good thing I'm not guiding up there right now, a lot of guys already dislike me because I am always having fun on the water. I thought that's what it was about. Most of the time when I see them they look as if someone just shot their dog. More than likely they were happy up until the moment they saw me. HAHA. Then I get out my lawn mower and start mowing the grass in front of them. Haha...just kidding.

    ---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

    Guess I should give my view of what a "Professional Guide" is to me. Because, as we all know, any hack can get a guide's license.

    A Professional Guide is someone who knows their craft well. May it be a fly fishing guide, charter captain on the lake, or a guide that merely pulls lures or chucks floats, they know how to use that tactic and catch fish efficiently and in a legal manner of course. They don't make excuses for the days fishing is slow, and do what they can to get clients on fish. Most importantly they are enjoyable to be around and can teach clients as well as be humble and learn a thing or two from a client. I really hate the "know it all" guides, that well, don't know it all. Someone who is curtious to everyone on the water, but at the same time can stand up for his values and beliefs and correct someone on the river when they are being unethical without being a total douche nozzle. (although sometimes it is very important to get your point across with some goons by using their kind of language that involve four letter words). A professional is someone who can share the water and if there are people in their "spot" they know where to go to get their clients on fish and still have a productive day.

    Also, I think it should be mandatory that you have to be some what good looking. Because rule number one is; Always look good, and if at all possible look sexxy. Haha....ok maybe we can do without that rule. But it's not about catching fish...it's about looking good doing it.

    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
    Mark Twain

    http://www.savebristolbay.org/

    REAL FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS SPOON FEED

    http://www.roehard.com

    http://www.glsteelheadco.com




  14. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NE PA, NY, NJ
    Posts
    1,569
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    393
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    675
    Thanked in
    321 Posts
    Chats
    2
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Re: Professional Or Not Professional? That is the question.....

    Your original question was "Do you think it is unprofessional for a guide to tell another guide..." The difference is "another guide" and not just someone who is fishing or fishes a lot; that's a different question altogether.

    I also don't think another guide getting in another guides face is professional either; two wrongs still don't make a right though.

    I don't understand the need for the four letter words. You should want to rise above the level of the "goons" and "douche nozzle's" as you call them, instead of stooping down to their level. Guides should have a dialogue between them and while they don't have to be best of buddies, it is important that they can work together and not intentionally interfere with each other. Courtesy between guides is not just good for them, it's good for their clients as well.

    "I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

    www.FlyFishTheDelaware.com


  15. #11
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey's scenic Ramapo Valley
    Posts
    2,769
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    161
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    467
    Thanked in
    312 Posts
    Chats
    42
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts


    Re: Professional Or Not Professional? That is the question.....

    "Telling" you not to fish a given section of a river, seems a bit over the top...

    But if two or more guides, or an association of guides, agreed by mutual consent, to provide working guides, and their clients, a less crowded environment, as a courtesy to each other, I don't see a problem.

    What were the consequences, if you didn't agree?
    Was he going to bring in his "gang" to beat you up and hold your head under water?
    Slash your tires?


  16. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    4,221
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,149
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    896
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Chats
    825
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 25 Times in 25 Posts


    Re: Professional Or Not Professional? That is the question.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    "Telling" you not to fish a given section of a river, seems a bit over the top...
    It does seem over the top, but it happens and has happened. Not going to name any individuals, but if they read this, they know who they are.




    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    What were the consequences, if you didn't agree?
    Was he going to bring in his "gang" to beat you up and hold your head under water?
    Slash your tires?
    Haha...yeah....and then lose their guides license's. I'm too young for those guys to attack me, you have to be 72 years or older. I've had one encounter with that individual and he was loud and obnoxious. Acted like it was his river. Word on the street is he's very calm and nice to everyone now.

    ---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
    I don't understand the need for the four letter words. You should want to rise above the level of the "goons" and "douche nozzle's" as you call them, instead of stooping down to their level. Guides should have a dialogue between them and while they don't have to be best of buddies, it is important that they can work together and not intentionally interfere with each other. Courtesy between guides is not just good for them, it's good for their clients as well.

    Sometimes you have to speak their language. If you start throwing out big words and act nice they often get confused and look at you like you have a dick growing out of your forehead.

    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
    Mark Twain

    http://www.savebristolbay.org/

    REAL FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS SPOON FEED

    http://www.roehard.com

    http://www.glsteelheadco.com




Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Thread Participants: 13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •