Simms

View Poll Results: Professional Or Not Professional

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Professional. Guides should respect other guides with clients on their days off.

11 37.93%
  • Not Professional. We Live in America, he can fish where he wants.

11 37.93%
  • Who cares, I don't like guides anyways. A bunch of know it all goons.

7 24.14%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Professional Or Not Professional? That is the question.....

So, basically, if I were a guide and had time off and wanted to fish the Salmon river, I would have to check with the local "guilde" to find out what areas were off limits to me? Horsecrap!

flyI4 is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    262 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

I think its tough to compare guiding on the salmon river to guiding on other rivers. The salmon is a nuthouse with a much lower level of standards/ respect than the average trout stream. I've heard of the behavior your described happening before, and though its not right, it happens up there. Personally I wouldn't get out of a piece of water just because someone told me to, but its sad that a sport as mellow as fly fishing can involve so much confrontation on that river.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to flyI4 For This Useful Post:

PRomano (11-16-2010)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    So, basically, if I were a guide and had time off and wanted to fish the Salmon river, I would have to check with the local "guilde" to find out what areas were off limits to me? Horsecrap!
    I totally agree with this. If someone that you guide with out of the same shop is going out and the stream is small and there is not much water, maybe consider something else, but if its a random guide, then its whoever is there first.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Success, therefore is not an act, but a habit." ~Adam Frey

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    552 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 25 Times in 25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thrashers.wheat View Post
    Guide asking another guide to steer clear of certain water while angling does not make sense to me. When not guiding, that off-duty guide is just as entitled to the water as I am. I, personally, would be OUTRAGED if a guide asked me to stay away from certain water.

As would I, if I were a guide.

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by flyI4 View Post
    its sad that a sport as mellow as fly fishing can involve so much confrontation on that river.

Not just fly fishing, but fishing in general. When I'm up fishing with friends who are guides and see the looks we get when other guides see they're out "playing" (they all know me and know I'm not a client) it makes me sick. Before when I had plans of being a guide, I didn't want to step on anyone's toes since I was the "new" guy on the river and gave everyone the courtesy I would expect to receive from them. After I saw the attitude from some of them towards me, and the way they treated me, I threw all that out the window and fished like I would if I were the only one on the river. Granted, there were a handful of guides that were just top notch in my book and reciprocated the respect I gave them, as for the others, they can go pound sand.

I guess if you treat people like shit it means you wanted to be treated like shit. Now, I just float by and smile.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
    Mark Twain

http://www.savebristolbay.org/

REAL FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS SPOON FEED

http://www.roehard.com

http://www.glsteelheadco.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

As a 'general' fisherman, I find it so distasteful that this fine pasttime is mucked in the mire of business and compettiveness. Not why I'm there. This entire thread speaks to how the general angler is even less regarded by the 'business' of the river. I go to the river to escape the judgements that people place on each other. It doesn't even have to be active judgement. I already know that, If a general angler is working a 'honey hole' passing guides are going to be throwing daggers and dollar signs threw the pristine spring air.

No intended offense to the stellar guides who are true wards of the river, of which there are many.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

WOW -- this is truely sad to even think let alone know this is going on. Just because someone is a Guide doesn't give him or her the right to dictate anything to anyone on public water. You would think that the Guide/s would be the first people fighting against this. Telling someone, Guide or not, that this stretch or that stretch of public water is off limits to you or anyone else is all the more reason to go fish it. Just to spite the idiot who told you you cant fish it is enough reasno to fish it.

I've contemplated quite a few times about getting my Guides license -- I then think that my love for fishing would be short lived after I got licensed because now it's not a hobby anymore but a job.

After reading this though I'm glad I haven't gotten the license -- If these guides act like this I want no part of it. Besides that -- I just cant imagine someone paying someone else to take them fishing on public water. (Makes no sense to me) Now if it is strictly PRIVATE water with WILD FISH (No Stocking) and the fish were above average in size then and only then could I see someone paying for someone else to take them fishing. Would be worth the expense

Limit your kill -- Dont Kill your Limit

Thread Information