Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Angry Spilled heating oil from High Bridge house enters South Branch of the Raritan River

Anyone see this yet?

HIGH BRIDGE — A fuel oil spill from a McDonald Street house that polluted the South Branch of the Raritan River here is being investigated by the state Department of Environmental Protection.Clean-up crews remain on the scene today.
    Borough resident Donna Hermann said "while I was there photographing the site yesterday the smell of oil was extremely heavy in the air and left a taste in my mouth for hours. The odor is not as strong today, due to their efforts."

A heating oil tank from a single-family home near Union Forge Park spilled oil late Thursday afternoon, said DEP spokesman Larry Ragonese.

The oil travelled about a quarter-mile, into a stream, the river and the storm sewer system.
    “I don’t think we know how much was in the heating oil tank,” Ragonese said. Cause of the spill is under investigation, he added.
    The DEP assisted the Hunterdon County Health Department and others in placing a boom and pads in the river to contain the oil, Ragonese said.
    Last night, a more-permanent boom was placed in the river so the oil would not escape, he said.

High Bridge Police Department is monitoring traffic in the area.
    DEP officials are “working on clean up right now,” he said.
    “I think it’s under control now,” said Ragonese. “It’s just a matter of getting it cleaned up and getting the oil out of the river.”
    Ragonese said he expects the clean up to be completed this weekend. He did not have information on the property owner.

http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-d.../post_187.html

Similar Threads:
    Bringing dapper back....

http://www.facebook.com/njdrew

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NJDrew For This Useful Post:

Trouser Trout (10-29-2010)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    807 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 40 Times in 37 Posts

Re: Spilled heating oil from High Bridge house enters South Branch of the Raritan Riv

sounds like it is well under control, if the source is a residential inground oil tank it can't be catastrophic, most underground residential tanks are 550 gallons, and are rarely filled above 475 gallons.

Hell no and it aint over now.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 22 Posts

Re: Spilled heating oil from High Bridge house enters South Branch of the Raritan Riv

Ban the heating of homes with oil until you can prove to me there is NO RISK!

John
    Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.--Henry David Thoreau

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    994 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

Not a problem as the spill was well under 500 gallons over a period of time into a fairly large river. A buddy stopped down and couldn't see any sheen even on the river or on the boom they had across it. It takes more than a few hundred gallons of oil to do much damage when dispersed like that. Unlike that same amount in your drinking water ala hydro fracing...

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    Not a problem as the spill was well under 500 gallons over a period of time into a fairly large river.

It takes more than a few hundred gallons of oil to do much damage when dispersed like that. Unlike that same amount in your drinking water ala hydro fracing...
    Are those "official" opinions?

What is the level of heating oil (ppm, let's say) that IS a problem when spilled?

And what do you base that last statement on? Could you give us a comparison of 500 gallons of heating oil and 500 gallons of frack water in drinking water?

John
    Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.--Henry David Thoreau

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    495 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Future Fanatic View Post
    Are those "official" opinions?

What is the level of heating oil (ppm, let's say) that IS a problem when spilled?

And what do you base that last statement on? Could you give us a comparison of 500 gallons of heating oil and 500 gallons of frack water in drinking water?
    I've been reading these threads with an open mind and I have to say... As much as I hate to see the destruction of my home away from home, FF makes 100% perfect sense to me.

This is not to say that I don't emotionally feel the way all of you do regarding the fracking situation but logically, Future Fanatic is not flawed at all. He certainly gives great analogies of another side of the story. It seems that most of you don't want to hear it though. Hey, I definetely understand why! I don't want to hear it either but let's face the facts, He makes a great argument (without calling anyone names) and in my opinion, he's right.

A few years ago when the D flooded into Hancock, I made a statement to the effect of, "who cares". Of course I didn't mean it the way it sounded. What I really meant was, "Gee, that's too bad, now on with my own life, I have my own shit to worry about" - NEXT... but if there was no river running through Hancock, nobody would even know that Hancock exists. Let's say a fire ripped through the riverless town. You would see a blurb of it on the 6pm news as you're sitting home eating your dinner, maybe you would pay attention, maybe you wouldn't but you're not going to be packing your bags to go help some local who's barn just burn to the ground. I believe one of the arguments is that not one of the people here ran up to Hancock to help out the locals who welcome us with open arms.

I only mention this last paragraph because if there was no river running through Hancock, not one of you would even know what a fracking well is.

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dcabarle For This Useful Post:

Trouser Trout (11-02-2010)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    807 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 40 Times in 37 Posts

The only flaw i find in FF's opinions are that he excuses the practice of fracking by citing examples of other environmentally unsound practices. ie, because we have catastrophic oil spills that makes it OK to pollute during natural gas exploration. that being said I do not know enough about gas exploration to condemn or condone the presnt manner in which it is conducted, and even where catastrphic oil oil spills take place the damage to wildlife is mostly temporary.

Hell no and it aint over now.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    994 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by dcabarle View Post
    I only mention this last paragraph because if there was no river running through Hancock, not one of you would even know what a fracking well is.
    Speak for yourself. We take calls every month from drilling companies trying to sign up our hunting lands in Potter county, PA. As for FF, I was just busting chops and I'm sure he knows it. The SBR oil spill was a non-issue. Even if a full 500 gallons spilled it would be no big deal. But can we say the same for hydro fracing when millions of gallons of chemical laden water is forced down each well and only approx. 30% of that mixture is recaptured? Remember, the pro drillers are telling us that none of those chemicals will find their way into our drinking water. Forget trout for a moment, we can't live very long without drinking water. But not to worry, after they poison your well, they'll make sure they truck you fresh water forever more so that's a good deal, right?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rusty Spinner For This Useful Post:

golden beetle (11-02-2010), Joe D (11-02-2010)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    321 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Water is the greatest commodity. All the gas, oil, coal, or whatever else cannot make up the value of clean drinking water. According to the World Health Organization, contaminated water is the number one health threat in the world, killing more people than AIDS, cancer, contagious disease and war. This includes all forms of contaminants. When the water is gone you can't drink gas or oil in its place.

It's not about gas, but about risking the little clean water that there is. The gas companies need to find different technologies to extract natural gas that do not use clean water or threaten clean water supplies.

The financial world understands the value of water. The Dow Jones US Water Index has been on a steady climb for the past ten years. Natural gas, not as good an investment. When we are out of gas & oil we will not die, we will come up with something else. When we no longer have clean water we will die.

There is no more fresh water on this planet than there was a million years ago and what little clean fresh water we have left needs to be protected. We can come up with alternative energy sources but there is no substitute for water.

"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

www.FlyFishTheDelaware.com

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joe D For This Useful Post:

Andy (11-04-2010), golden beetle (11-02-2010), Rusty Spinner (11-02-2010)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trouser Trout View Post
    The only flaw i find in FF's opinions are that he excuses the practice of fracking by citing examples of other environmentally unsound practices. ie, because we have catastrophic oil spills that makes it OK to pollute during natural gas exploration. that being said I do not know enough about gas exploration to condemn or condone the presnt manner in which it is conducted, and even where catastrphic oil oil spills take place the damage to wildlife is mostly temporary.
    TT, let's both be honest. Neither of us know all that much about this issue.

So why would I be against fracing in the Catskills?

Well, before I answer that, let me also admit that I know very little about just about every other issue (the war in Iraq, tax policy, etc). But, for some reason, I manage to have opinions about these other issues about which I also know sooooo little.

Fracing, to me, is like a chess move. If it is made, it will have consequences. It is hard to predict what those consequences will be, but for me, I believe that the political position that "the Catskills are special and deserve environmental protection" is at stake.

It is like a chess game. There are certain moves that, if made, will weaken your overall position.

FF argues that it is irrational to view the Catskills as special. I'd argue the opposite.

And, I'd further argue that your ignorance (and my ignorance) of how things will ultimately play out is largely irrelevant. I am willing to change my position on the issue if the data suggests I am wrong.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to golden beetle For This Useful Post:

Joe D (11-02-2010), Rusty Spinner (11-02-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    495 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

I've been doing a little youtube research and found that the fracking thing doesn't look too good.

Also found the same on coal mining...

There are tons of these videos.

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dcabarle For This Useful Post:

golden beetle (11-02-2010), Rusty Spinner (11-02-2010)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    994 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Burning fossil fuels is like walking a tightrope. We need the energy and on that we all agree, so we look for the least damaging ways to get at it. Don't know about you all, but I'm not yet ready to give up my gas burning truck and my oil burning house just yet...so I live with the self-imposed hypocrisy. At least on some level...

Thread Information