Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    553 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 25 Times in 25 Posts

Kick the globug habbit and start running beads.....

Kicking the globug habit.......Many of you on here are already smart to the bead game. Some of you on the other hand are stuck in the, "If I didn't tie it, I don't want to use it!" mentality. Fact of the matter is, beads work, hands down. I know some of you will question the legality of running a bare hook in NY waters. If the bead is run how it is meant to be run, you will not have any issues on the legal side of it. Last I checked, tube flies had a bare hook. Plus, running beads are safer for the fish if you practice C&R. Anyways, you can increase your catch rate by running beads of various colors under an indie. If fished properly you can be rewarded many times over. For the most part, all the guys I know running beads with their single or two handed rods, are running the indie setup. All depends on the water depth for their leader length. Also, I get asked a lot if people should run the bead knot or use a tooth pick or something else to wedge the bead against the line to keep it from moving. I have lost too many big fish using the bead knot, so I will only use it if I have nothing to peg the bead with. There are a mulititude of resources online that can help inform you about what exactly "bead" fishing is. Bead Fishing for Rainbow Trout Don't be scared to try something new. After all, the name of the game is catching fish.

Similar Threads:
    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
    Mark Twain

http://www.savebristolbay.org/

REAL FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS SPOON FEED

http://www.roehard.com

http://www.glsteelheadco.com

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CTobias For This Useful Post:

Walter H (11-28-2010)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

Re: Kick the globug habbit and start running beads.....

No doubt beads are effective, but are they flies?

They surely are artificials, but I don't think beads are flies. However, I have seen people in the lower fly zone using them and catching a ton of steelies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 35 Times in 24 Posts

Would bead fishing ever be effective in smaller streams, particularly streams that do not support spawning salmon or other large fish?

I know I do AWESOME on "glo bugs" in streams around me during winter when the suckers drop eggs, but I am always wondering if there are "enough" eggs in the water to constitute a bead set up?

My glo bugs I use in winter, usually tied on a size 16 hook, are very small and flashy? So I am not sure if trout are hitting it because of the flashy-ness, or because it ressembles a sucker egg...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Egg patterns work in any body of water where fish lay eggs in my experience. Some of the oddest egg pattern fishing I have had is in small Midwestern Rivers fishing for huge carp with egg flies on gravel beds where walleye spawned at night in the late winter/early spring. A lot like winter steelheading, but the quarry was a lot uglier.

I would imagine a small bead would work in any trout stream. Salmon eggs are deadly just about everywhere for trout - why wouldn't they hit a bead? Once again I'm not against beads and see no issues with them in artificials only water, but don't like to see them in fly only water.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 35 Times in 24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
    Egg patterns work in any body of water where fish lay eggs in my experience. Some of the oddest egg pattern fishing I have had is in small Midwestern Rivers fishing for huge carp with egg flies on gravel beds where walleye spawned at night in the late winter/early spring. A lot like winter steelheading, but the quarry was a lot uglier.

I would imagine a small bead would work in any trout stream. Salmon eggs are deadly just about everywhere for trout - why wouldn't they hit a bead? Once again I'm not against beads and see no issues with them in artificials only water, but don't like to see them in fly only water.

Perhaps tying on a sperm sack would constitute it a fly for ya?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Ugh!!!! Being an old fart I never liked that fly shops sold those Otters eggs. Dress up a plastic egg or a bead and it is still a lure in my book. Not that there is anything wrong with lures.

BTW, I still call Mepps spinners with squirrel tails lures too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts

i agree with jeff beads and maybe a little crystal flash might qualify

TF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

No doubt they are effective. However, I have to agree with Jeff and say that I would not be excited to see them in a fly only stretch. They are most certainly artificials and NOT flies. The glaring difference being that the fly fishing tradition is rooted in the angler crafting the offering him/herself or at least using an offering that has been crafted by another human. If "fly only" waters were set aside to uphold this tradition of our sport, a solo plastic bead definitely falls short of this tradition. A Glo Gug takes (at a minimum) one material, thread, a hook, PLUS the knowledge of a basic tying skill and the ability to execute that skill.

All for catching lots of fish, all for artificial only waters, all for beads being a safe way to C&R fish, but also feel strongly about the importance of knowing where a sport is rooted, and preserving that for the future.

Just my .02

~James

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jcstikfish For This Useful Post:

JeffK (10-22-2010), WBDluver (10-23-2010)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Simms View Post
    Perhaps tying on a sperm sack would constitute it a fly for ya?
    I bet that is what the doctor said to your PARENT.

Reason for Editing:
    PARENT ... singular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    553 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 25 Times in 25 Posts

As far as working on small streams, beads produce. I've caught many trout on 6mm and 8mm beads. They're opportunistic feeders.

On the topic of fly only sections, beads do not legally fall into the category of a fly per the NYS definition for fly only zones. Now, I know guys that will run a bead with a nymph or beadhead as their hook. That is perfectly legal, because they hook is technically a fly per the definition givin by NYS. I don't have a problem with people using beads in fly only zones, as long as they follow the rules for that zone. Running a bare hook with the bead in a "fly zone" is not legal.

I believe that more of the SR should be catch and release and artificials only like many streams and rivers in western ny. I'd like to see from the Pineville (2A) bridge up all artificial onl as well as catch and release as far as trout goes. As well as pure C and R for Atlantics until a healthy population is restored.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
    Mark Twain

http://www.savebristolbay.org/

REAL FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS SPOON FEED

http://www.roehard.com

http://www.glsteelheadco.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I see people using a plastic bead above a bare hook and instantly I think back to the J-Plug disaster a few years back. Lifting and Snatching ! I'm not saying everyone does it, but I live 35 min. away from the SR and get to watch "the show" pretty often.
    I will say there has been a big improvement in the fisherman's ethics in the last few years.
    But ! I can't help being suspicious of this type of tackle as I've seen too many people abuse it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

I was talking to a guy from the dec who helps to write the fishing laws on the Salmon River and he said there will be changes next year for the fly zone.And one of them is no beads or spinner blades above the fly as they are attractors .Also summer month fishing in the upper fly zone will be restricted to floating lines only no sink tips no weight .

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Broadheadscreek For This Useful Post:

jcstikfish (10-22-2010), Joe D (11-01-2010), PRomano (10-22-2010), RickW (11-22-2010), WBDluver (10-23-2010)

Thread Information