Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 1 Post

Re: Kick the globug habbit and start running beads.....

besides ego being an issue being that its traditional to not use beads. What is the difference between fishing a globug and a bead(given that you are not using a snagger). Its used to replicate the exact same as a globug and is more effective. I mean, i dont feel any less of a fly fisherman when i fish a bead. Other than the definition you just gave, most will still call it fly fishing. They sell beads in all flyshops.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Success, therefore is not an act, but a habit." ~Adam Frey

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    321 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Skipper,

A glowbug is tied on a hook, not molded. Albeit, extremely easy to tie. An egg sack is also used to replicate the exact same thing and is also more effective. Fly shops carry and sell what the market wants. If I had a fly shop on a steelhead river I would carry beads too. It's not about if it's okay or ethical to use them. Personally I have no problem with someone using them, have at it and enjoy! I'm just saying that IMHO it isn't fly fishing when you do. All the components need to come together.

How's the fishing been for you? I hope you've been slaying them!

Joe

"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

www.FlyFishTheDelaware.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 1 Post

Its been alright. We are still in an indian summer out here. Its thrown everything off. Baetis hatch was crap this fall since its 60 degrees and sunny everyday. Streamer fishing is gettin better, but we are really just waiting for it to get crappy out already. Browns are on redds in most places so beads work well haha.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Success, therefore is not an act, but a habit." ~Adam Frey

4. The Following User Says Thank You to skipper3245 For This Useful Post:

Joe D (11-01-2010)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 92 Times in 91 Posts

I know beads catch fish, but glo bugs work pretty damn good too. Lost plenty of big fish over the last week on them. As it was said, dont put a bead on a fly rod and call it fly fishing, and make sure you follow the regulations. The next guy i see in the fly zones with a bead is gonna get a tongue lashing from me for sure! He will will either cut it off or get a wet ride below the bridge where its legal

Im not saying there is a right or wrong way to fish an egg imitation on a fly rod, but there are glo bugs (hand tied FLIES) and there are... beads. Save them for all the pinners.

Personally, ill put my favorite egg pattern up against anyone with a bead this time of year. I dont think i will come up short. Use your beads for crafts class, not fishing.

http://www.gardenstatetrout.com
    The sunken ship has risen! Come join the rats!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Tom,

With all due respect, you told me at your clubs meeting last year that you guys were foul hooking/snagging the majority of fish that you were hooking. As a matter if fact you asked me how to rig up your rod so that you could fairly catch steelhead. You also said how much you hated slinging all of that weight out there and that you though that it was not needed. So how did you go from doing that to telling people what is fly fishing and what's not? Also, there is no need to threaten people with violence on a stream for fishing in a certain manner. Fishing is personal. You fish how you want an the guy who is fishing ethically bead or not is still doing better than the guy who us hooking fish in the back, fin or stomach with a fly.

www.troutpredator.info ... fishing reports, techniques, etc...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ajfromnj View Post
    Tom,

With all due respect, you told me at your clubs meeting last year that you guys were foul hooking/snagging the majority of fish that you were hooking. As a matter if fact you asked me how to rig up your rod so that you could fairly catch steelhead. You also said how much you hated slinging all of that weight out there and that you though that it was not needed. So how did you go from doing that to telling people what is fly fishing and what's not? Also, there is no need to threaten people with violence on a stream for fishing in a certain manner. Fishing is personal. You fish how you want an the guy who is fishing ethically bead or not is still doing better than the guy who us hooking fish in the back, fin or stomach with a fly.
    Hi Aaron,

I never meant to imply that the guys i was fishing with were foul hooking fish or snagging them. Of all the fish ive seem my friends land this and last year maybe 1 or 2 were foul hooked. When the fish are in thick its something no angler can always avoid, not matter your method of fishing. I spoke with you after my first ever trip for steelies so being new i had a fair amount of snagged fish and though maybe the weight was to blame. I was also looking to learn more about the technique of indie fishing. Now that ive learned more ive dialing in my nymphing ability and rarely snag fish by accident, there were a few things i needed to change, such as letting your fly fishing the drift and swing out or determining bottom from hits. I dont mind the weight now that everyone, who are extremely talented, have helped me learn to fish it. I have used your method for indie fishing as well, and its effective. None of my friends snag/ foul hook or line fish.
    Im no expert on fly fishing, but if your not using a hook which is dressed with materials and tied on with thread, its not a fly and therefore not fly fishing. You can be bead fishing, with a fly rod, but there is a difference.
    Im not threating anyone, notice the , its more of a joke. However, people should follow the rules in the fly zones and bead fishing is not allowed. I will mention that to them.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Tom,

You are not getting my underlying point here. You used to fish barbed spinners and trout magnets on a spinning rod. Now you're telling people how not to "fly fish." Remember how you used to defend spin fishing? I also remember you telling me how much skill it took for fish those trout magnets.

I will be the first to admit that I have plenty of faults. But the very essence of what you posted is exactly what gets me upset about fly fishing. When you are trying to prove that you are better than someone, you put someone down to do it. Just BE better. If a guy is catching fish in the fly zone with beads fairly and releasing his catch, who cares. Now if a guy is snagging fish with a lo bug, then I will say something. Pick your battles. As long as the fish are being ethically caught on a fly rod who cares.

www.troutpredator.info ... fishing reports, techniques, etc...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ajfromnj View Post
    You are not getting my underlying point here. You used to fish barbed spinners and trout magnets on a spinning rod. Now you're telling people how not to "fly fish." Remember how you used to defend spin fishing? I also remember you telling me how much skill it took for fish those trout magnets.

I will be the first to admit that I have plenty of faults. But the very essence of what you posted is exactly what gets me upset about fly fishing. When you are trying to prove that you are better than someone, you put someone down to do it. Just BE better. If a guy is catching fish in the fly zone with beads fairly and releasing his catch, who cares. Now if a guy is snagging fish with a lo bug, then I will say something. Pick your battles. As long as the fish are being ethically caught on a fly rod who cares.
    I still fish with spinners and trout magnets. I will never be a 100% fly guy. Nothing is wrong with them and they do require skill but thats not the point.

Im not saying im better then anyone, i think you are trying to get in a discussion of ethics. Beads are not flys, and not allowed in fly zones. Thats all im saying. It is small battle to fight, and there are bigger problems on the river for sure, but when im in the fly zone im only concerned with people breaking those rules.

I dont hold fly fishing on a higher moral ground then enything else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 35 Times in 24 Posts

IF you read the articles on bead fishing, the reason the beads are NOT located on the hook is because a trout INHALES beads(eggs), thus a nightmare to get out, with a possibility of killing the poor bugger. A bead which sits 1.25'' above the hook, even though NOT on the hook, is more ethical. The hook almost 100% gets them right inside the mouth where a pair of forceps is rarely needed...

I agree this really is NOT a fly, however, throw a bead without any weight on the leader and try to cast it... esp with 6 or 8lb test. As long as individuals are NOT snagging fish with them on purpose, I see no harm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

AJ,

I'm pretty sure a bead is not considered a fly by NYS and using it with a fly rod wouldn't convert it. Plus the guys I saw using it were also rigging multiple beds where one hook is the rule. Like a couple of years ago at the Fly Stretch of the Housatonic I saw a guy clobbering huge browns with a #3 silver Mepps. Don't think a rod makes a Mepps spinner a fly either. I have no problem with either technique in general, but not in a FFO area. Fish tend to be suckers for techniques that they don't see very often. A worm, Rapala, or bead can be a lot more effective when a trout has never seen one before - like in an FFO area. Of course, sometimes they don't see many flies in open water and flies can be the hot technique when the Power Bait guys are getting skunked (as you have probably proved many times)- but that is legal.

BTW, Marty had a fit when he heard about the Mepps spinner thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts

One question I have is that if the bead is placed on the line above the hook,when the fish eats the bead the hook swings around and hits the fish somewere be it in the mouth or outside the mouth or were ever. If the fish is not hooked in the mouth then would it be considered foul hooked and thus snagged? The fish never ate the hook it ate the bead above the hook.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by trico mike View Post
    One question I have is that if the bead is placed on the line above the hook,when the fish eats the bead the hook swings around and hits the fish somewere be it in the mouth or outside the mouth or were ever. If the fish is not hooked in the mouth then would it be considered foul hooked and thus snagged? The fish never ate the hook it ate the bead above the hook.
    I believe any fish hooked on the outside of the jaw is considered foul hooked.

Thread Information