Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

I believe the Pepacton and the Neversink is not capable of releasing that much water(FOR THE MONTAQUE TARGET) from there valves.Even if they where you would have flooding in some of the valleys on both rivers from the amount of water needed to keep the M. target at 1750 cfs.

You could spin the numbers like nyc does so often,however the bottom line is that they have been releasing 640 cfs as an avg for 40 years now.It demonstrates that there is enough water.

One more thing to throw into the soup,lets not forget PPL.Gotta run maybe someone else could fill in FF on the PPL issue.

FF funny how you BACKED away from your theory that the people in the small towns and the small money generated from these towns are so insignificant TO NYS?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

FF,
    You are wrong again with your numbers and for BS to think you are right, well thats wrong too.

If a release is at 600, never would the montague target be at 500. Are the fish putting the water in buckets?

Montague target at 170 has quite a few different resourses to pull from. PPL will be the big one. If you dont want to understand it now, watch the numbers as the summer progresses when PPPL starts dumping water.

there is more than enough water in the reservoirs, NYC can pull up to a certain amount every year and has never taken all they can. Habitat banjs etc. have been around for years, whether called habitat or not, they have not come close to being used.

Science and simple math with a little long division shows this. Dont take my word for it, check public records,

--FT
    Nothing grows faster than a fish between the time the fish takes your fly...and the time he gets away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Fly Tier,

You are the confused one. FF was not suggesting that Montague would be at 500. He was suggesting that if there was only natural flow, Montague would be at 500 and that we would need more releases.

I am willing to bet a substantial amount that you will not notice any difference because of PPL this year. We did notice any difference in the years that they ran the water that is proposed in the current scheme. You all make it sound like PPL has a new reservoir full of water they will be releasing. It is still the same amount of water they have always had.

You are still asking NYC to release more than they have to. Why would they do this?

Joe,

The East Branch has valve capacity to release about 700 cfs. This would not produce flooding. I do not know what the Neversink dam can release.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    491 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 22 Posts

FT you are right; I exaggerated too much. Do you understand the concept though? Should we just ignore it because it does not fit the argument you are making?

What about the year that cannonsville went down to 3%? I'm not sure where that fits in to anyone's argument, but if that can happen without a 600 minimum release, might the probability rise of it happening again, with it? Oh, and by the way, why is nobody considering the trout fishery ABOVE the dam. I know that most of you do not partake, but there is a substantial population of Bruiser Browns in those reservoirs (You should see them when they spawn!) What levels of water in the reservoirs are you guys willing to fight for to protect them? Yeah, let's hear how they don't matter.

Joe, I'm pretty sure I never said that the 20 million mattered to NYS. If I did, point it out to me and let me see what my thinking was. Any amount of money makes a difference to a small town, absolutely. Indirectly(food, gas, etc.), the money helps to keep a few service jobs, but as has been stated, just 3 months or so of the year. I'm sure there are few, full time, 12 month positions being supported solely by fishermen. I don't know, but aside from lodging, what percent of those jobs directly paid for by fishermen such as guides, are held by full time residents? Where does that money ultimately go? Can they support themselves with three months of work? My point was only that people should not portray the money brought in as being the only game in town. One shouldn't try to convince everyone that the towns fold up without it. Those towns have been around much longer than the fishery has.

Now, how dare anyone portray me as not caring about the rivers and the fish in them. I enjoy them being there and want what ever is feasibly available for them. Excuse me for being so selfish as to have an open mind and consider the other side of the argument. It seems that there are people that don't take into consideration, ALL points of view. But only considering evidence that fits one's argument is shallow. It reeks of one just wanting to WIN. I want a solution that is right for all parties involved, not because I have an allegiance to one group or one outcome, but to the hope that the best resolution can be reached for all parties.
    John

John
    Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.--Henry David Thoreau

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    507 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 13 Times in 12 Posts

Thread Re-Opened for posting. (Over 4500 Views!)

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    491 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Re: Before it's banished to the back room(or at least, a side room)...

It's as if it were yesterday...

Or today...

11 years of the same old shit...

John
    Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.--Henry David Thoreau

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    552 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 25 Times in 25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Future Fanatic View Post

Or today...

The definition of insanity.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
    Mark Twain

http://www.savebristolbay.org/

REAL FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS SPOON FEED

http://www.roehard.com

http://www.glsteelheadco.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Or today...

FF... Fore a guy that seems tired of the shit... you sure like to put your foot in it.

"That wasn't your fly... was it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 68 Times in 58 Posts

Or today...

Great thread.

Good to put these things into perspective.

But lets put it this way....

Demand for water is going to increase, due to many factors, including climate change.

Desalination plants are coming to NYC, within a decade...

My speculation.

For those that care, San Diego is building a desalination plant w an Israeli company that will be online next year.

And Lockheed Martin has developed desalination technology that it says is cheap...

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    693 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by golden beetle View Post
    Great thread.

Good to put these things into perspective.

But lets put it this way....

Demand for water is going to increase, due to many factors, including climate change.

Desalination plants are coming to NYC, within a decade...

My speculation.

For those that care, San Diego is building a desalination plant w an Israeli company that will be online next year.

And Lockheed Martin has developed desalination technology that it says is cheap...
    Capitalism at its finest

"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    491 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by golden beetle View Post
    To be built next to:

Encina Power Station (EPS) is a large natural gas and oil-fueled electricity generating plant located in Carlsbad, California, in San Diego County.

Let's hear it for fracksalination!

John

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    507 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 13 Times in 12 Posts

Wow! Those were the days! lol. The best part about it... The same people with a few exceptions are still here!

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thread Information