Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts

fly line

bought some fly line and i have been having a hard time with my tapered leader just falling at the roll over point does any one have this same problem i used the loop knot and i think that is the problem the nail knot allways seemed to work alot better any suggestions?

TF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

Re: fly line

Hi TF ,

Loop to loop is not the best connection as it creates a hinge point there for I like to nail knot my leader to the fly line . If you would like a leader that turns over nicely try tying your own there are many recipes on line and once you try them you can build your own to suite your needs . Also there are several post here on this subject you can refer to. I'll pm you some recipes I have found effective for the given line wt.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Broadheadscreek For This Useful Post:

Trout Fever (09-02-2010)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts

yea definatly because i always used a nail knot but i figured ill try the loop to loop didnt work to well its like i have a perfect tight loop and plop the fly lands right next to the fly line

TF

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    695 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts

I just started using furled leaders which are very useful and turn over the fly nicely. Especially on light tippets

"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

A loop to loop connection will not hinge if attached properly. Check out the first diagram in the link: index_flyfishingknots.html

In fact the fly line and leader butt is doubled at the loop and is stiffer at the connection.

Your problem is likely with the taper of your leader and/or the diameter and/or length of your tippet. Here is a link to info on leaders and tapers: http://www.flyfishusa.com/tackle-tip...t-leaders.html

HTH. Good luck.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to afishinado For This Useful Post:

Broadheadscreek (09-03-2010), Joe D (09-03-2010), MACFLY (09-03-2010), Pete (09-03-2010)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    807 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 40 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by troutfever View Post
    bought some fly line and i have been having a hard time with my tapered leader just falling at the roll over point does any one have this same problem i used the loop knot and i think that is the problem the nail knot allways seemed to work alot better any suggestions?
    i use loop to loop and never have a problem unless i am using a heavy weighted fly. then things tend to get a little sloppy.

Hell no and it aint over now.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    322 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by afishinado View Post
    A loop to loop connection will not hinge if attached properly. Check out the first diagram in the link: index_flyfishingknots.html

In fact the fly line and leader butt is doubled at the loop and is stiffer at the connection.

Your problem is likely with the taper of your leader and/or the diameter and/or length of your tippet. Here is a link to info on leaders and tapers: Fly Fishing Leaders

HTH. Good luck.
    Thanks for that second link, I'm going to try those tapers.

I had been using the formulas in McClains Encyclopedia, and then adding a heavier (0.020" or heavier) section to the butt. These appear to already have a heavy enough butt section.

TF: IMHO, most "store bought" knotless leaders don't have a heavy enough or long enough butt section.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    321 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Loop to loop works fine if attached properly just like a nail know works fine if tied properly. Use whatever is your pleasure, in the grand scheme, it doesn't matter...

Now about that leader... It most likely is too soft and that's why it's collapsing, assuming your cast is okay. If you changed lines to a different type or brand the leaders that you had been using may not work on the line you switched to. If you stayed with the same line, just a new one, it is probably a little stiffer than the worn out line you replaced.

If you snip off the fly line loop be sure to seal the cut end so you don't wick water up the core.

"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

www.FlyFishTheDelaware.com

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe D For This Useful Post:

Broadheadscreek (09-03-2010), Trout Fever (09-03-2010)

Thread Information