Rio
    JSulat is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Please School Me

I'm both new to fly fishing and new to NJ fresh water fishing but have had some fly fishing instruction. Can anyone recommend some beginner type streams for me and my son to try. I live in Gloucester county in South Jersey but understand the best places are North of here? I'm certainly willing to travel. Delaware Water Gap area is easily doable. Also, if you know of any good bait and tackle shops that specialize in NJ fly fishing that would be good too. Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Please School Me

JSulat.... welcome to the site. If you're willing to drive as far north as DWG, you can reach plenty of great water. I would recommend starting with the South Branch of the Raritan and the Musconetcong. Both great rivers and they are only ten minutes apart. They're also probably the closest good trout waters, with the exception of the Tom's River in Ocean County. I would recommend you hit Shannon's Fly and Tackle Shop in Califon, its right on the banks of the South Branch, and they will point you in the right direction. Also, think about buying Matt Grobert's book on fly fishing in NJ... it would be a great resource for you if you're just starting out. I'm sure the sell it at Shannons. If you are ever in the Pine Brook area, you should also check out Tight Lines Fly Shop. Its also a great local shop, but its much further from the streams that you will probably be fishing. Good luck and have fun!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Re: Please School Me

Welcome,
    You might want to check in with these guys:Chapter Schedule. They meet in Gibbsboro.

Thread Information