Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Wild trout streams

I have been doing some research on wild trout steams in nj, ny, pa and ct. I didnt know how many there really were through out these states. I was suprised that there are so many rivers in ct, but i was wondering which if any are cool enough and worth fishing? Are any wild trout streams fishable this time of the yr i would perfer nj, but am willing to try anywhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    807 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 40 Times in 37 Posts

Re: Wild trout streams

I tried Parker Brook and Jackson Brook this year, spent the better part of a day on each, only saw 1 trout and that was where jackson brook empties into Heddon Pond. Parker Brook I saw nothing but a few old beer cans that I picked up (no full ones). If you have any luck i would love to hear about it. Nearly all of my fishing is in wild brookie streams in VT. With the occasional trip to BFB or the Rockaway.

Hell no and it aint over now.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

Depending on if they are cool enough and there is sufficient water to do so yes there are a few. But mostly I reserve this type of fishing for the spring and winter as there is usually plenty of water in them and there is no question as to the temp. I doubt anyone one here would divulge any info on the small streams in our area. So it is best to do your home work as many have to see how they are doing and if they are fishable. Many times I have gone only to discover there was little water so it is best to have a back up plan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 27 Times in 26 Posts

Plenty of WTS here in NJ!!! And they are almost all cold enough to fish every day with some exceptions, of course. You are not likely to get a lot of "fish this small stream at this parking area where the big rock is" type of responses, this state is too crowded for that type of info to be freely shared. But if you simply begin with the state's list of 35 or so WTS, then you have a decent start. Most headwater streams in the northern half of the state, especially the further west you go have wild trout in them. Most are brookie or brookie and browns, but some have rainbows and even a few have all three naturally reproducing.

As always, take a water temp this time of year to be certain, but you should have good temps early in the morning most days and even all day most days if it is shaded enough.

BTW - on Parker Brook, NJPatbee has better info than I do, but that stream is not what it once was. I think beavers, a few low water years and gypsy moths made a trifecta that this stream has yet to recover from. It is on TU's radar to look at restoration as part of our larger Flatbrook River project through our FSB/North Jersey TU chapter.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    886 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 69 Times in 59 Posts

I need to visit some more WTS's in NJ. Without mentioning any streams, I will say that NJ has amazing wild trout. I posted a nice picture of a wild NJ trout in a previous post. It is probably the nicest picture on the whole website, not to brag or anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts

hey golden beetle
    anyone can cut and paste a picture of a native bow
    see you wouldnt even know that isnt me

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big trout.jpg 
Views:	2043 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	4033  
    TF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    121 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

NJ has a surprising number of small wild trout streams and a couple of my favorites are as good as you will get in the Northeast. I rarely fish these small streams in the summer due to the low water levels and difficulty getting anywhere near any of the holding water without spooking any trout 50 yards upstream. For myself, Spring and Autumn (with a little help from some rain) are the times I enjoy these waters.

Most on sites like this do not mention the location of their favorite wild trout streams. However, I have no problem mentioning NJ's Parker Brook since it is a brook in need of some help. As Rusty stated, FSB North Jersey TU did an exploratory walk last year due to the lack of trout in Parkers in recent years. What we found was a brook that was split into many small riffles in an almost swamp like setting in its upper stretches, much of it also exposed to the direct sun for most of the day. Where Parker enters the Big Flatbrook, we had a mid-Summer 6AM temp of 72F, which is about 6-8 degrees warmer compared to 15-20 years ago. Its on the back burner now because of the major Flatbrook improvement project TU is getting underway, but it is on the list not too far down the road since it is (was) an important source of cold water for the BFB.

NJPB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts

It is funny to me that when people talk about wts they always seem to think of small brooks. There are many bigger creeks and rivers that are wild trout streams. I can think of at least five just down the road a bit from Nj that are wild trout streams and that stay fairly cold even in this heat although it is a good idea to check the temps when going there. Big fishing creek is also a wild trout stream and it is much more then just a brook, or even the upper d system. Weird fly, if you want to fish a river that you never have to worry about stream temps head out to the Letort even during the longest hottest heat waves I have never seen it get above 58. It is like mother natures bottom release dam. I may be heading out there tommorow. Do some research and you may be suprised at how many good creeks and rivers that are wild trout streams are very close by. Always chech water temps this time of year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    121 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Sure there are larger waters in our region with wild trout that can be fished in the Summer, most of these being spring fed waters like the Letort and others, or tailwaters like the Delaware system.

However, there is a far larger number of smaller wild trout streams in the Northeast (at least 135 streams in NJ) that myself and others were referring to. If you're willing to drive you can usually find some cold water with active trout (and usually a lot of anglers on the public access sections).

NJPB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

thnks alot to all u guys, i know u dont wanna give up ur secret spots i was just looking for some pin points. northeast nj is pretty big, mike thanks for everything i got to check that place out this week or next weekend along w farmington.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I believe the Titicus River Outlet in Westchester has a lot of wild trout. It's a short stream and you'll need a DEP permit from NYC.

Randy

Thread Information