Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Suggestions for Montana Camping & Fishing Trip?

Ok so I need some help. We are thinking about doing a trip to Montana next year and I’m having a hard time deciding where to go. I have been looking at Bitterroot, Lamar (in Yellowstone Wyoming) or maybe even the Middle Fork Flathead River. I really could use some suggestions....

We are looking to try and keep the cost down, so guided trips and "adventure" lodges are pretty much not an option for us. The type of trip I am trying to plan would be like:

Arrive, rent cars, drive to a parking area and hike into a "backcountry" camp site along a nice river. The group I am going with are a mixed bag when it comes to backpacking & camping, so I would like to keep the hiking under 15 miles. Preferably we wouldn't have to change campsites mid week (like we would in Yellowstone).

Any ideas, suggestions or advice would be very greatly appreciated.

Bringing dapper back....

http://www.facebook.com/njdrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Re: Suggestions for Montana Camping & Fishing Trip?

You meant South Fork of the Flathead, right? That's the one upstream of Hungry Horse Dam where you can hike as far as you want into the Bob Marshall. It's supposedly one of the best fishing hikes you can do. Also worth researching: Box Canyon section of Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by coolkyle View Post
    You meant South Fork of the Flathead, right? That's the one upstream of Hungry Horse Dam where you can hike as far as you want into the Bob Marshall. It's supposedly one of the best fishing hikes you can do. Also worth researching: Box Canyon section of Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone.
    Well from what I understand (I need to do allot more research mind you) is that the middle fork gets high in the spring time (white water) and settles down around late July. The water runs crystal clear and the trout are not very picky since there are little nutrients in the glacier fed water to support insect life. This is good as 2 or 3 of the group members are still new to fly-fishing and have a hard time catching. The river also has bull trout in it which would be an amazing catch for the more experienced members of the group.

Edit: So I was able to get some better maps and I realized that yes you are right the South Fork is really what we are looking for. I think I got the middle and South Fork mixed up when I was reading.

I very happy to hear you say that this is one of the better fishing hikes, because this shows the most promise out of what I have seen so far. I need to do more research, but the National Park Service site was down most of yesterday.

Edit: Well the NFS site is back up and not helpful at all. I cant even get permit and pass prices. I think I will have to shoot them an email to find out what I would need if we go that route.

Bringing dapper back....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    625 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 28 Times in 28 Posts

Might I suggest "The Montana Angling Guide" by Fothergill and Sterling, It has all the rivers, lakes with maps and camping and lodging for the entire state. It cost me 30.00 some years ago. I believe it is still in print

To look good is to fish good

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

i do a low budget trip out there each summer. i think you've got the right idea by bypassing a guide service.

i couldn't care less what ya do or where ya go, but i'd stay away from the bob ( the flathead ). it has the densest population of grizzly bears in the lower 48. a guy i go camping with was there a few years back, this guy is a mountain man from a very, very small town in ID. he said the horses, who were tied up outside the camp, were going crazy at night because of grizzlies around them. especially if you're going in with a bigger group, i'd be wary of the bob.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by thrashers.wheat View Post
    i do a low budget trip out there each summer. i think you've got the right idea by bypassing a guide service.

i couldn't care less what ya do or where ya go, but i'd stay away from the bob ( the flathead ). it has the densest population of grizzly bears in the lower 48. a guy i go camping with was there a few years back, this guy is a mountain man from a very, very small town in ID. he said the horses, who were tied up outside the camp, were going crazy at night because of grizzlies around them. especially if you're going in with a bigger group, i'd be wary of the bob.
    Well it looks like we are going to go to the Bob. We have already started getting gear and pretty much all the details have been ironed out. The majority of our group have either CCW or Out of State CCWs which are recognized by Montana. Thanks to President Obama (take note as this is one of a hand full of times I will ever give him praise) all National Forests have to recognize the gun laws of the state they reside in, so we will be carrying in the Bob Marshall Wilderness, just in case. Statistically speaking the odds of us having a bear incident is very slim, but better safe than sorry.

Bringing dapper back....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 1 Post

I was in bob marshall about a month ago and saw 4 grizz in 3 days. Bring spray it works better than a gun.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Success, therefore is not an act, but a habit." ~Adam Frey

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    87 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Shooting a grizzly with a pistol is just going to piss it off. Bear spray and a shot in the air is probably a better option.

"The two best times to go fishing is when it's rainin' and when it ain't."--Patrick McManus.

www.creekaddict.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by NJDrew View Post
    Well it looks like we are going to go to the Bob. We have already started getting gear and pretty much all the details have been ironed out. The majority of our group have either CCW or Out of State CCWs which are recognized by Montana. Thanks to President Obama (take note as this is one of a hand full of times I will ever give him praise) all National Forests have to recognize the gun laws of the state they reside in, so we will be carrying in the Bob Marshall Wilderness, just in case. Statistically speaking the odds of us having a bear incident is very slim, but better safe than sorry.
    i agree with skipper, bring the spray. MT officials would not take too kindly to a group of guys from NJ having shot a grizzly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I believe the fine is still $10,000 for killing a grizz. Only way to prove it was an attack is if you are mauled, but by that time you already are a dead man anyway. PS, you cannot fly with bearspray, it must be bought after you fly in, and you must leave it in MT when you return.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Success, therefore is not an act, but a habit." ~Adam Frey

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    807 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 40 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thrashers.wheat View Post
    i agree with skipper, bring the spray. MT officials would not take too kindly to a group of guys from NJ having shot a grizzly.
    You guys are nuts.... I suggest a .454 Casull revolver, .44 mag, and my favorite the Colt Defender Plus, .45 semi -auto 3" barrel, 8 shot clip, nobody will know you have it, unless you really need it. don't leave home without it. I would never camp without carrying a handgun.

Hell no and it aint over now.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Trouser Trout View Post
    You guys are nuts.... I suggest a .454 Casull revolver, .44 mag, and my favorite the Colt Defender Plus, .45 semi -auto 3" barrel, 8 shot clip, nobody will know you have it, unless you really need it. don't leave home without it. I would never camp without carrying a handgun.
    Totally disagree. Bearspray works much better. If you do not hit the bear in the right spot you are done. And how do you get a handgun into Montana if you are flying? You cant mail a handgun to a residential address and cant bring it on a plane. I do have a .45 but never bring it with me fishing. Hunters are the #1 attack from grizzly bears cuz they do not bring bearspray since they think their .270 will do the trick and they are field dressing.

Thread Information