Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Neversink Map?

Decided to hike/campout/flyfish along the neversink for a few days with a friend. Is there any good maps out there online showing trails and whatnot?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

Re: Neversink Map?

Here's the Public Fishing Rights Map for the Neversink:
    http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_mari...rneversink.pdf

The best hiking is in the Neversink Unique Area (aka the gorge). Google for maps - some hiking clubs have them on-line.

Can't camp in the Unique Area. There are some private campgrounds in the area, but I don't remember the names. Woodland Valley is a state campground on Woodland Valley Ck in the Esopus watershed. Not far from the Neversink as the crow flies, but have to drive around or over the mountains to get to the Neversink valley.

Above the reservoir the Neversink is all private until you get to state forest land way up in the headwaters near Slide Mountain. Good hiking/backpacking in the state forest lands, but it is a little too early right now for my tastes. Some brookie fishing in the forest lands, but generally they are on the mountains where the streams are just trickles. Can't camp above 3500 ft on the Catskill trails.

Frost Valley YMCA Camp has good hiking and fishing, but don't know their access policy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

you can stay at the YMCA camp for $ and then you get to fish their water. The back country camping in the area is great and this time of year the brookie streams will only be getting smaller

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Got my interest piqued so I started poking around. One great thing about being new to an area...is that everything is new! An adventure around every corner. I found these at the YMCA site.
    Frost Valley YMCA: Maps

might help a bit. Have a great time!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

those maps are a bit illuminating. It the lower left hand corner of the West Branch map, it looks like state forest land borders the main river but is surrounded on all other sides by private property and YMCA property. I wonder how much of hike it would be from some public land to that area.

The fishing up there is not necessarily epic but it is certainly one of the prettiest parts of the 'skills. It's also far from any highways which makes it a bit unique,

Thread Information