Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old School

So i've been thinking lately about getting a dream old school flyrod outfit. Im talking about a fine crafted bamboo rod, the finest silk line, and of course a newer reel that looks old school. Any direction on where to start and if its a good investment? Never casted a bamboo rod or silk line how is it different in feel, I also heard that silk line has to be maintained pretty good?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Re: Old School

I started with fiberglass and primarily fished that most of my life.
    I started my quest about 5 years ago.
    Ii wanted to try cane/bamboo.
    I use primarily for mid weight range. primarily 5 weight.
    I use my fiberglass for 3 weight.
    It is a unique experience, and a pleasure.
    My cane rods are beautiful. It has made me appreciate the fly rod, and everything about it.
    With the mid weights, you are able to enjoy feeling your rod load. That is kind of unique. To be able to appreciate the physics behind the fly rod.
    I bought a Heddon Black Beauty, Granger Special and have just picked up a gorgeous Devine, that was done for me.
    I recomend going to the classic fly rod forum. They have been a great help.
    I think you will appreciate fly fishing, by adding the bamboo/cane rods.
    There are many out there doing custom rods that are a lot of mney. I have been lucky buying the workers rod so to say, but these can run some money
    Good luck enjoy

Thank you

De Oppresso Liber

Jimmy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I agree with Hardy1 that you should definitely check out class fly rod forum- you can't beat the expertise on that site for bamboo- new and classic as well as reels- new and classic. If you are looking to just get your feet wet in bamboo I would look for a new or modern rod built on a classic taper. Also there appears to be a number of replica reel manufacturers that mimic the classics (Hardy is one of the classic reel manufacturers that still makes reels (100 years later!)). The knock offs are on ebay and you should check out Caps or Fishon reels and ZYZ reels. The caps/fishon are replicas of Hardys and the ZYZ are more reminscent of Vom Hofe style reels. I also saw a Vom Hofe style reel from someone else which are selling for like $30! I picked up one of the ZYZ reels and it is pretty decent for $200 compared to a new Saracione at $750+ or another reel maker for even more.
    AZ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    388 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

Classic rod forum is great, but it is always better to actually get your hands on a cane rod.

A few options:
    Look for cane rod get togethers/claves on the classic rod forum. Nothing like hanging around cane heads to speed up the learning curve. You may run into a few snobs, but the great majority are more than willing to help newbies.

Go to a fly shop that has plenty of cane rods and specializes in them. Two I am familiar with are Housatonic River Outfitters in Cornwall, CT and The Feathered Hook in Coburn, PA.

Go to one of the big fly shows. Unfortunately you missed this years batch since they are in the winter, but plenty of cane rod makers show up for them.

Good luck on a new addiction.

Thread Information