Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    491 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 22 Posts

Re: Frack water contents startle treatment plant!!

Quote Originally Posted by MACFLY View Post
    Yes Yest but we know this is all a ruse for your master plan to take over the world...Dr Evil!!!
    Was it THAT obvious?

Nothing will get in the way of my quest for one MILLION dollars...

John
    Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.--Henry David Thoreau

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    807 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 40 Times in 37 Posts

"I chose to live in a perennially economically depressed area of upstate NY.
    I chose to be a teacher.
    I own a farm.
    I pay taxes on land that does nothing but grow some hay and trees.

Does your conclusion make ANY sense what so ever?

I guess putting me in that category makes it easy for you to demonize me and justify in your own mind NOT thinking too hard about the difference between fact and fiction.[/QUOTE]"

OK, my guess is you're the Unibomber?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    491 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Trouser Trout View Post
    OK, my guess is you're the Unibomber?
    That's totally ridiculous!!!

I prefer Unabomber.

John
    Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.--Henry David Thoreau

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Catskill Mountain Man View Post
    \/.... no not really, still going to have development happen, still going to be increased erosion problems, increased traffic, gas, oil or other spills. you just care about money.

side with trout not money

LOL...When the trout (or you) write me a check every month like the gas co. will I will do that. How much are you and the trout going to send me every month?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    491 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher346 View Post
    [/U][/B]

LOL...When the trout (or you) write me a check every month like the gas co. will I will do that. How much are you and the trout going to send me every month?
    Put that aside and look at the big picture 346(may I call you that?)

If you look at this ccm's comment, you find what a lot of this anti hub bub is about. THEY SAY that their concern is the trout being affected by the taking of water for Fracking or being killed by toxic chemicals in the waterways. I have not seen them produce evidence. Oh sure, they can point to an accidental spill here and there, and certainly this is unfortunate, but accidents happen. Wyoming has some INTENSE gas extraction activity(and I'm sure the accidents that go along with it) and their trout seem to be doing fine. Golf courses and other industries siphon off huge amounts of water and there's been no push (that I have heard about) to ban the construction of new golf courses or ban paper mills, etc. More trout have been killed by the burning of coal and the resultant acid rain than by Fracking fluid ever will, but no ban on electricity is called for.

So, look at the comment again.

"...still going to have development happen, still going to be increased erosion problems, increased traffic, gas, oil or other spills"

They want stifle development. They want the people in these areas to remain in poverty for the sake of their hobby. Nevermind that downstaters and Jerseyites are responsible for the subdivision of this area's lands, the cutting of roadways to access their newly bought "pieces of god's country" and the building of cabins and such with all of the "increased erosion problems, increased traffic, gas, oil or other spills" that results. If NOW, these listed things are the "problems" with gas extraction, do they also want to ban the selling of land, building of homes or construction of new businesses that would increase these stated "problems"?

I'd argue that they do. These upstaters who own and pay taxes on the very land that the precious rain falls to fill the trout streams should keep this land exactly how the anti's want it. Unproductive and cheap. Gas extraction ruins this.

I once proposed here that NYC should start paying landowners within the watershed to NOT drill if it concerned them so. This of course could be in the form of easements or outright purchase of lands. NYC has a program to do that. In fact, they MUST do this as part of their agreement with the Feds which allows them to NOT filter their water. I was castigated by some. Well, it seems NYC is getting the hint and doing that. They just acquired(or soon will) 685 acres in the watershed for 3.1 million dollars. I believe that is in the neighborhood of $4500 per acre. At a time when real estate prices are down, this price is not. Sure they should pay if people voluntarily give up their right to extract the gas within their property. If it is more important for people to feel that they are protecting the environment than to burn natural gas, they will. And of course if they did NOT burn natural gas in the first place, this argument would be academic, anyway.

Now, to really save some trout, we need to get them to stop using coal produced electricity. You want to take bets on that?

John

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I'm guessing that some folks are just easier to demonize than others.

TU Life Member, Forks of the Delaware Chapter

NRA Life Member

"Where the air's a little cleaner, the trees a little greener and the road don't go through your town."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Future Fanatic View Post
    Put that aside and look at the big picture 346(may I call you that?)

If you look at this ccm's comment, you find what a lot of this anti hub bub is about. THEY SAY that their concern is the trout being affected by the taking of water for Fracking or being killed by toxic chemicals in the waterways. I have not seen them produce evidence. Oh sure, they can point to an accidental spill here and there, and certainly this is unfortunate, but accidents happen. Wyoming has some INTENSE gas extraction activity(and I'm sure the accidents that go along with it) and their trout seem to be doing fine. Golf courses and other industries siphon off huge amounts of water and there's been no push (that I have heard about) to ban the construction of new golf courses or ban paper mills, etc. More trout have been killed by the burning of coal and the resultant acid rain than by Fracking fluid ever will, but no ban on electricity is called for.

So, look at the comment again.

"...still going to have development happen, still going to be increased erosion problems, increased traffic, gas, oil or other spills"

They want stifle development. They want the people in these areas to remain in poverty for the sake of their hobby. Nevermind that downstaters and Jerseyites are responsible for the subdivision of this area's lands, the cutting of roadways to access their newly bought "pieces of god's country" and the building of cabins and such with all of the "increased erosion problems, increased traffic, gas, oil or other spills" that results. If NOW, these listed things are the "problems" with gas extraction, do they also want to ban the selling of land, building of homes or construction of new businesses that would increase these stated "problems"?

I'd argue that they do. These upstaters who own and pay taxes on the very land that the precious rain falls to fill the trout streams should keep this land exactly how the anti's want it. Unproductive and cheap. Gas extraction ruins this.

I once proposed here that NYC should start paying landowners within the watershed to NOT drill if it concerned them so. This of course could be in the form of easements or outright purchase of lands. NYC has a program to do that. In fact, they MUST do this as part of their agreement with the Feds which allows them to NOT filter their water. I was castigated by some. Well, it seems NYC is getting the hint and doing that. They just acquired(or soon will) 685 acres in the watershed for 3.1 million dollars. I believe that is in the neighborhood of $4500 per acre. At a time when real estate prices are down, this price is not. Sure they should pay if people voluntarily give up their right to extract the gas within their property. If it is more important for people to feel that they are protecting the environment than to burn natural gas, they will. And of course if they did NOT burn natural gas in the first place, this argument would be academic, anyway.

Now, to really save some trout, we need to get them to stop using coal produced electricity. You want to take bets on that?
    I agree with you 100%...I think I might be the exception to the whole "city" mentality. I live in Westchester Co. and own a summer residence with 56 acres in Sanford. I am an avid fly fisherman for 10 years and love being out there. I also have signed with XTO and hope to see the drilling start soon. As you pointed out, there are many other places where responsible drilling is going on, and the environment hasn't been ruined. I guess we will see what happens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    321 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I chose to live in a perennially economically depressed area of upstate NY.
    I chose to be a teacher.
    I own a farm.
    I pay taxes on land that does nothing but grow some hay and trees.

FF, don't you sell alpacas? Ideuma Creek Alpacas! (thought I'd give your business a little plug)

"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

www.FlyFishTheDelaware.com

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    694 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
    FF, don't you sell alpacas? Ideuma Creek Alpacas! (thought I'd give your business a little plug)

Alpacas..Hey can you send me some alpaca socks

"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    491 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Joe D View Post

Yes, that would be the aforementioned farm.

You were so kind to give my farm a plug, but THIS site : Home is MUCH better.

As for sending socks, you'd have to be MUCH more specific...

John

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    694 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts

Yes, that would be the aforementioned farm.

You were so kind to give my farm a plug, but THIS site : Home is MUCH better.

As for sending socks, you'd have to be MUCH more specific...
    How about 2 pairs of double knits in Brown..my favorite color

"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by MACFLY View Post
    Alpacas..Hey can you send me some alpaca socks

Don't be silly...the alpacas have no need for socks.

Proud supporter of Trout Unlimited.

Thread Information