Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts

Re: Fly Tying at Hacklebarney TU

I don't think a tyer has to be able to tie all types of flies to be a master. Every tyer has their own style and they fit into their genre of tying. Some salt water guys could probably never tie a salmon fly like Radencich or Wolf gang von Malottke but they would probably not care to. This doesn't mean they are not masters in the style of flies they tie. It's comparing apples to oranges. Like saying Michael Jordan was not a master athlete because he could only play basketball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trico mike View Post
    This doesn't mean they are not masters in the style of flies they tie.
    Sounds good Mike.

I didn't know they were there tying salt water flies. Why that puts a whole different light no things because no one cares about salt water flies.

However, I believe you missed the point entirely.

If they were tying dry flies (fresh water patterns used on trout streams) or wet flies (fresh water patterns used on trout streams), streamers (fresh water patterns used on trout streams) then I am going to have to disagree with you.

Which was Andy's point never the less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AKSkim View Post
    I just hope you and your TU chapter are transparent enough to post on here how much Ed cost and what the raffle brought in, in addition to the profit from it all for your TU chapter.

I await the final figures that night to be posted here.

You make money I'll even tip my cap.

If not, well..

Let's just hope we don't get that that part of the equation.

Make MONEY ED....

As always, for more responsible fiscal responsibility.

AK Skim
    Please everyone come out and support our chapter for I have made a terrible mistake of spending too much money on a speaker. I have seen the error's of my way's and will gladly step down from my position if I am called to do so. Many Thanks to Mr. AK Skim for shining the light on the ignorance of my decision. I hope and pray that my action will not cost our chapter all it's membership.
    God Bless You AK

Dave

" The more one comes to know men the more one comes to admire the Dog"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

The reason for the thumbs down was simple. The North Jeresy Chapter works hard to provide it's members with quality speakers, and many members provide programs which cost the chapter nothing. So to once in a while go wild and spend money on a draw that will bring out the membership, and other interested anglers is a good thing. When you have a good crowed a 50/50 drawing will help off set the expense. It's not like a high cost speaker is a monthly or annual event, but knowing Ed, it will be worth every penny.

As to TIC, the chapter supports over 20 schools, and just resently purchased a new chiller (a over 500 expense) for a teacher who couldn't get a replacement by the school.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Stonefly View Post

... but knowing Ed, it will be worth every penny.
    Oh... I guess I misunderstood your original post.. after all it was the one that got me thinking about the money in the first place.

" Re: Ed Engle to speak on Catching Difficult Trout at FSB/North TU chapter mtg

What are his expense costs from Colorado Springs CO, to Jefferson NJ?"

Never mind.. spend away....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

While it is nice to think everyone joins an organization because of the “good” that organization does, a high percentage of any organization’s membership also need a bonus, such as a magazine or fancy merchandise(hats and cool stickers). In TU’s case it’s the Chapter meeting that are the large draw for many of its members…My experience with Trout Unlimited, 10-15% of the membership take an active role in the chapter conservation activities...The remaining members join a chapter for the social and entertainment aspects of the meetings…A Chapter needs this 90-85% inorder to raise the funds necessary for it’s conservation projects (TIC, In-stream, in-stream projects, education, etc…). So in order to keep the funds, the Chapter needs to keep the meetings entertaining or the majority stop coming and stop contributing…Most Chapters have a Speaker or Program Budget, some of the larger chapters can afford 1 or 2 big speakers a year…The costs of the speakers are sometimes covered by the nightly raffle or 50/50 proceeds…We would always raffle off a rod during one of the big speaker events, and this usually covered or came close to covering the entire expense of such a speaker… And if the meeting was successfully marketed, we would see a nice bump in membership applications at the meeting…Cut the speaker program out or reduce the quality of the program and you will see a noticeable decline in Chapter membership over time…

Now there are different opinions on this topic and it is debated at TU Board of Director Meetings every year across the country...This is just my opinion from being involved with TU since 1989…

I am sure the meeting will be enjoyable and hopefully a big success for the North Jersey Chapter...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by bkill View Post
    … And if the meeting was successfully marketed, we would see a nice bump in membership applications at the meeting…...
    Well let me tell you since I brought up about the HUGE cost of ED to the chapter, I can assure you that no one is now going to show up because I am against it.

AK Skim
    All Powerful

PS
    I believe the Rangers have a home game on TV that night and should be very good match up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by AKSkim View Post
    Well let me tell you since I brought up about the HUGE cost of ED to the chapter, I can assure you that no one is now going to show up because I am against it.

AK Skim
    All Powerful

PS
    I believe the Rangers have a home game on TV that night and should be very good match up.
    If you're really that concerned about what it costs our chapter PM me and I will be glad to share that with you. Better yet come out to the meeting and see what it's all about first hand.

" The more one comes to know men the more one comes to admire the Dog"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts

AK, I never said the guys tying there at the Tu meeting were masters I was strictly talking about the guys I mentioned in my post. As for salt water flies some people care it is a real blast to catch a 30 pound bass on a 8 weight. I will go on the record as saying the guys that tied at the meeting are all good tiers. I'll reserve the title of master for the well known tiers that have been mentioned in this thread such as Gowens, Talleur, Malottke and others These guys are the true greats of our era.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by trico mike View Post
    AK, I will go on the record as saying the guys that tied at the meeting are all good tiers. I'll reserve the title of master for the well known tiers that have been mentioned in this thread such as Gowens, Talleur, Malottke and others These guys are the true greats of our era.
    I don't believe that anyone posted that they were not good tyers, the main topic of discussion was the use of the title MASTER in billing them.

None of them came on this thread said I am happy that someone thought of me as a master fly tyer, however I do not consider myself a master fly tyer.

Simple and easy.

That is not their style to come out of the woodwork and stand up, they rely on other's to do their bidding.

Like you.

I believe this is the second time you had to come to the defense and both times in reflection you find yourself in an untenable position.

Don't worry I believe you can take it because you don't have a K after your nick, ie. MikeK.

Scoring a baseball game for a strike out you mark it with a K.

Yourrrrrrrrrrr...... OUTTTTAAaaaaaaa HERRrrrreeeeee.... !!!!

I don't see you running away to the sand lot to play.

AK Skim
    NEFF Major League Umpire

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

It's amazing, all typical fuckwads like yourself can do is complain. With guys like you its always the same, nobody can do anything that is satisfactory in your eyes. Hire a good speaker to encourage a good turnout (you know, for better raffles that raise the money for things like TIC, etc. BTW, TIC is also largely funded by grants, ever volunteer to write some for your chapter?) and you get complaints. Don't hire one and you get complaints too and even no shows. My personal feeling is TU is much better off without you fuckwads that just complain all the time, becuase your type rarely, if ever, contributes in a meaningful way to the organization. All TU chapters are transparent douchebag, simply ask for a copy of a monthly treasurers report. So fire back, call me stupid or make some lame comment about rats or GST, don't care. Tomorrow is the flyfishing Show, I'm going and right now I'm in the type of mood where if I meet you I'd like to deck you. Hopefully that mood sticks and somebody will introduce me to you.

TU Life Member, Forks of the Delaware Chapter

NRA Life Member

"Where the air's a little cleaner, the trees a little greener and the road don't go through your town."

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 13 Times in 12 Posts

right now I'm in the type of mood where if I meet you I'd like to deck you. Hopefully that mood sticks and somebody will introduce me to you.
    Just wondering, will raffle tickets be available for this event and is there a room we might be able to book for this? I'd like to see AK up on the podium and all the GST guys have at it with tomatoes.

I wasn't going to go to the show (so I say), but If I know for sure that there will be some type of drama there, involving someone else, I will be there!!!

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thread Information