Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    134 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

17 year Cicada Cycle

Guy's keep in mind that this year is the 17 year cicada hatch. This means that all like me who also like to go after smallies and Hawgs on fly rods will have a great summer. It's time to start thinking of flies that imitate these insects. I will be using a foam pattern that looks close enough. The Bass and Pike love these tank sizes bugs a ton. So any one who really wants to get in on some good fishing in the summer for bass and pike, now is the time to start your planning and tying.

Andy B

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Wonder what would happen if we stuck one of these cicada's on a hook and let it drift ?

North Jersey

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

arnold,

Probably a lot of fun except on 'Artificials Only' water.

Allan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Thumbs up bugs

Guys, they were talkin' about the different cicada hatches last weekend when i was in Idaho. Apparently, there are many different species of Cicadas, and they all have their own hatch cycles. But, i guess it's the largest one of them all that has the 17 yr. cycle. And THIS is the year. Supposed to be some sight on the Green River in Utah when they hit the water. mark.........

Mark J. Romero
    www.fudr.org
    607-498-9944
    M&M Fly Fishing
    JazzMark Gallery
    94 Yorktown Road
    Roscoe, N.Y. 12776-5017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

To add to Mark's comments, this year's group is called "Brood X" and it's the largest of all the hatches. The cycles run either 13 or 17 years and on some years, there are multiple broods that hatch. The cicadas lay their eggs in trees and when the larvae hatch they fall to the groud and burrow there until they come out again over a decade later. I'm thinking that since the bugs live in the ground, they probably don't live too close to water. Any flooding over a period of 17 years is likely near a river and would kill off a lot of the brood. Probably not worth fishing with them. At least not around here. Just my opinion though...can anyone with a technical background confirm this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Dave is right about not fishing for them around here. Central Pennsylvania and Maryland are your best bet. Here is a good article on them:
    http://www.ento.psu.edu/extension/fa...cal_cicada.htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

For those of you who would be interested in using a top water lure with a flyrod or spin/casting gear instead of a fly, Heddon makes two locust topwater baits that are dead-on. I bought a couple of the mat Wal MArt.

Blackflies - Defenders of the Wilderness!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I bet they are yummy! One of those fat beatch's is like the equivelent of 50 mayflys in protein. They suck at flying and I am sure if a cload of them gets caught in a nice breaze they will be landing in some lucky trouts' stream. I remember when they were around when I was a kid, the birds went beserk over them, but since they are around so infrequently,
    the tide of predators catch's up with them too late to make real hay out of the bonanza. You will need a Tuna hook to tie one of these babys and some super huge Crimson Red Bug Eyes. I'm on the case, might get lucky! By the way, it will not last till summer, they come,hatch,boogie woogie till they just cant boogie no more, swarm and die the whole show is over in several weeks.

Thread Information