Rio
    chismar is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I need help on picking out a setup

I'm new to fly fishing and was wondering what you all thought about what setup i should use for the Musconetcong river for trout, Should i be using a 5 wt if so how lon 7.5' or 8.5 again i'm new, please help i need advice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Re: I need help on picking out a setup

Yes, a 5wt, 8 1/2' rod is a very versatile rod. It's the one I use the most and on many different kinds of water.

If money is an issue, invest more in the rod then in the reel. A reel on most of our streams here in NJ is nothing more than a line holder.

Welcome aboard,
    Cdog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I think a medium-fast 9' 4wt is most versatile for rivers that size (for me) because it can nymph pocket water easily, mends better, roll casts better, light enough for delicate fishing. If you need to throw heavy flies, consider uplining this with a spool of DT6 and shortening your leader to 6-7'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

7 1/2 to a 9' (I prefer 8'myself) 5wt should serve you fine as a 1st rod. Versatile to do many things from fishing weighted flies to throwing small dries on fine tippets. 6wt is a little overkill, 4wt (and lower) may be a bit light for a begginner. Best thing you can do is find a local shop and get out there. They'll let you cast rods to find the best fit (they'll even hook you up with casting lessons). Next best thing, do an extensive search on this site. Lots of great advice on beginner setups on here since it one of the biggest FAQ's.

"You hate people"..."But I love gatherings, isn't it ironic"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

A four weight is great for the rivers around here under normal conditions, but if the water is high you'll want a five weight. Also, a five weight will serve you much better if you decide to start making trips to some of the bigger waters up in the catskills.

Personally, I like a longer rod. A 9 footer will make it easier to keep line off the water when your nymphing, and will help with casting on big waters. However, if you go the other direction and spend a lot of time fishing small wild trout streams, you will want something shorter.

If you are starting out on a budget, I think Temple Fork Outfitters is a good bet. I've had 2 of their professional series and been quite happy. I also hear that the Echo rods are a great bargain, though I have yet to cast one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Read everything everyone posts for this thread (and tons of others) to give you an idea of the size outfit you need for the water you want to fish. THEN go to your local fly fishing shop and cast any rod before you commit. You can buy the most expensive rod on the market and, if it doesn't fit your style, you will be disappointed in it. Like others have said on different threads, for those new to fly fishing, take some casting lessons before you commit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

How about a Orvis clearwater 7'9" 5 weight. Great rod and a very versatile size. If you wanted something with better cosmetics, you could buy the same rod in one of Orvis more expensive rod models. Match it with a WF5F line and a decent reel and you are good to go on most any water. Just my .02.

Thread Information