Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Summer Creek fishing

I was wondering if anyone truly understands the techniques behind summer fly fishing. It seems as if the trout look for oxygen and shade, but I am convinced that they mainly would like to be deep and away from the sun where the water is a bit cooler. Yet, they still seem to bite at those surface hoppers, caddis or even adams according to dry fly guys.

I am planning to fish Ramapo, and I am stuck in deciding whether to fish a small creek for little brownies, or to hit a larger one where maybe the fish would lurk in the late summer months. Lateley, the czech nymphs are the only thing working for me. I know my technique is off.... any location suggestions (not speciffic, just an idea of obstructions to look for) for dry/wet fly fishing in late summer?

Thanks,

Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    554 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 25 Times in 25 Posts

Re: Summer Creek fishing

Fish are holding in the deeper faster water. You aren't going to find that many fish in the deeper slow pools. They want the oxygen. Even the lazy browns will sit in the deeper faster water.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
    Mark Twain

http://www.savebristolbay.org/

REAL FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS SPOON FEED

http://www.roehard.com

http://www.glsteelheadco.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    886 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 69 Times in 59 Posts

Dude, not sure how I can help ya. I am a jersey guy, but new york is my stompin ground. I am making a serious effort to learn jersey waters, tho, so maybe we are in the same boat.

First, you say you are going to fish "ramapo.". What do you mean? The ramapo river? If so, I'd be inclined to go to a smaller, cooler, year-round creek for smaller browns, as you reference in your post.

I hope there aint no ramapo die-hards in here that get offended, but I wouldn't wash my arse in that water.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I'd have to agree with that one GB. Once you get a few warm days the Ramapo heats up like a black car in a Miami parking lot. Therefore almost all the trout...if not all the trout die in the Ramapo consistently every year. Pete is our Ramapo resident expert and he can offer come insight as to how they electroshock it after the summer only to find no trout.

If you want to practice your dry fly casting the bluegill fishing is fantastic...and no that was not a joke. Those bluegills rise consistently every day during the warmer months.

If it's trout you're after though I might suggest anything but the Ramapo...try a nice tiny creek, a spring creek you know something ice cold. Good luck and have a blast.

"Take only pictures, leave only footprints, kill only time."- anonymous

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Thanks a lot fellas. I thought about the advice, and I'm fishing the housatonic where the water is cooler, and more oxygenated... just bought my three day CT license.

I know I'll have to go south of west cornwall where the current is faster,
    and wider, and nymph out the deep deep pockets.

Thanks again,

Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

The Catskills aren't that far from the Ramapo, and all the big creeks up there are doing good. I fished the Willowemoc for the first time Sunday in the pouring rain and couldn't believe how many fish were stacked deep in one of the douchey named pools, including some very nice browns rising sporadically to #18ish bwo's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

The Housatonic is quite an upgrade from the Ramapo that's for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

just finished fishing the Housatonic... WOW. Impressive river, caught some beautiful wild browns nymphing (pink bellied caddis, and yellow stoneflies worked).

I also just tried Farmingdale, and i was teaching my grandfather, so I wasn't really catching much, just showing him technique. Judging by the geology and water, it too looks like fly fishing heaven. When he took a rest (it was very strenuous for him) I popped on the beadhead wooly bugger, and missed one that was at least 18 inches just because I tied my line incorrectly (4 winds, how lazy).

I'd love to hear some stories you fellas had at either one of these rivers, because they both have some character despite farmingdale boaters/kayakers....ERRRRR.

Thread Information