Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Esopus Creek, 7/18/09

There is some research out in Colorado that suggests Didymo can be controlled early on by HIGH FLOW. Rolling rocks shake the stuff off. We may have gotten lucky this year with the big rains -- the river is VERY different than in May. Back then, every 4th cast came back coated in snot -- very, VERY depressing. Now there's very little sign of the stuff, and the river is running nice and clear. Pocket, pool and riffle fishing has been EXCELLENT. My best rainbow was a fat 14", which is big and strong for an upstream bow in this system. Lots of 9-12" bows, a few brookies at mouths of creeks and plenty of browns.

Seems to me the browns must breed here as well -- you sometimes catch a clean, sparkly 5" brown that shows no hatchery marks. I also caught a fat 15" brown that had hatchery marks, and might have been put in this spring, hard to tell. Plenty of willing 9-12" hatchery browns, but they are gradually getting fished out. Also a few shiny, no-hatchery-marks browns in this same size class which makes me think they might be wilds.

It's still an awesome system. I hear pessimism from old-timers, but the issues with the portal seem a bit better and I love fishing the Esopus!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Re: Esopus Creek, 7/18/09

Glad to hear that the river is going good. I will be headed up that way in late August
    to visit my sister. I usually just fish around 5 arches or drive up by Woodland Valley.
    What other general areas are accessible, seems like a lot is posted. You can PM me if you
    want with any info.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Re: Esopus Creek, 7/18/09

DEC has decent maps of public access at this url:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_mari...fresopusck.pdf

Good luck! And remember to wash wading gear -- the junk is still in there, even when we don't see it...and we all gotta keep positive that didymo won't get along with the Esopus!

Thread Information