Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Global Warming a Hoax, don't worry you will still pay for it.

I'm not quite sure why this is in the "education" forum, but apparently some people feel the need to spout nonsense from street corners even in the information age.

Is there a propaganda and paranoia sub-forum?

Edited to add a little reality:

The premise (30% increase in arctic sea ice) is inaccurate and based on a report of a guy doing his own "research" by counting pixels in a 2D representation of a 3D planet. Maps are distorted because a 3D object can't be accurately represented in a 2D space.

See the editor's note at the end of the original article the initial link referenced at http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08...c_ice_mystery/.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

I think that the arctic sea ice example was maybe not the best way to counter the steaming load of BS that is man-made climate change. Maybe pointing out that there is data that actually shows that CO2 increases as a result of warming is a better place to start. Maybe talking about climate change with the perspective that there have been something like 8 ice-ages (that we know of), and 6-12 interglacials within each. Oh, and all before people. How about the influence of Milankovich cycles and solar radiation vs. Earths magnetic field? How about actual science to prove that CO2 causes warming on a global scale? Still waiting for it.....

Roll up the windows Brian, you're letting the stank out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I have seen the discussion of this subject started up on every web forum I've ever been a part of for the last ten years.

It never goes anywhere, and nobody from either side ever convinces the other side of anything.

Let's see how long we can make this thread...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Is that a challenge? Still won't be as long as the old Salmon River Report or West Branch report.

Plus, seems pretty one-sided here to me.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    693 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by webdevmonkey View Post
    I have seen the discussion of this subject started up on every web forum I've ever been a part of for the last ten years.

It never goes anywhere, and nobody from either side ever convinces the other side of anything.

Let's see how long we can make this thread...
    If the only reason you have a discussion is to change the other person's mind you might as well become a monk. If on the other hand you want have a discussion to raise awareness of a particular point of view or some information that someone may not have seen or been privy to than thats probably a better way to go. Regarding the Global Warming issue I had posted an interesting article on this a couple of years ago that discussed some of the positive impacts if in fact global warming is true. I dont claim to know positively. My belief based on information I have read is that it is unclear at best and murky to suggest that if there is global warming man is responsible for it. I felt differently a couple years ago but as I read more and more it seems patently unclear. However I have very deliberate beliefs about the bill going through congress and that is its going to be very bad for the U.S. and for our wallets overall. It is also ridiculous to think that this will help given the fact that china, India, and others are not remotely interested in curbing their emissions.

I truly believe its a great idea to invest in renewable energy sources and cleaner fuels as I believe we need to have a capability to produce our own energy. A Bill could be produced that would incentivize industry to invest in this area instead we are going to radically alter our economy in some kind of social expirement based on something short of facts. You could do a lot to optimize, conserve, and generally make better use of our existing energy capabilities without impacting us economically. Why would it be necessary to create such hardship if there are alternatives.

"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Lets not forget about the other justification made for this legislation, that it will decrease our reliance on foreign oil. I find this really funny since there aren't any bills forthcoming that try to curb our dependence on foreign cars, or our dependence on all the other cheap foreign junk thats made from foreign oil.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

And no bills to explore or drill for our OWN oil!

Hatches?, I don't got to show you any stinkin' hatches!! - FUBO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Shhhh -- listen -- hear that??? A sound I haven't heard since the mid 90s: the thrumming rotors of black helicopters!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I read this thread with discust.

CT you're a SNAGGER for starting this thread!

I come here for the same reason I fish. It's to get my mind off the stress of the day and focus on one of the things that really matter in life. Take this issue up on another forum and lets get back to fish talk here.

Herbert Hoover once said, "As civilizations, cement pavements, office buildings, and radio have overwhelmed us, the need for regeneration has increased. Fishing is a sound, valid reason to go away from here to somewhere else."

Cdog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

the sooner we burn all the oil, the sooner we don't give a shit about the ****in desert. you know the one with all the oil under it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Its upsetting to see some members so anti any bill that would benefit the environment. Regardless if you buy into global warming or not, what's so bad about a bill that would help keep the planet cleaner? Taxes? Thats B.S. If it costs me a little more to do whats right for the world so be it. We know many of these emissions and pollutants have terrible long term impacts on the earth (who cares if its global warming or not), so why not take a look into better methods of living. I suppose theres no hole in the ozone either? If we leave things the way they are, will they get better or fix themselves? Some of you are the ones buying into a crock of shit! If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Then there are those great people who will go against everything that their party does without thinking for themselves. Gotta love politics.

Listen To The River Sing Sweet Songs To Rock My Soul...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Thats beautiful. I'd agree with you if this bills purpose was to actually make the Earth cleaner.

And the hole in the ozone layer is so 90's. That problem slowly "went away" after they discovered its been there all along, occurring naturally.

At the end of they day, it doesn't matter, we'll be driving gasoline and diesel engined cars till the day we die. You can't just invent a technological revolution and discover a new energy source because the government commands it. Last time that happened was in the 40's, and the worlds top physicists were involved. I don't see people that smart involved this time.

Going back to tying now.