Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 1 Post

Re: test html

from what i understand when cannonsville gets below 80% the west br release is cut back and the montague mark of 2000cfs mostly comes from the lackawaxon..hale eddy was 64 degrees last week..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just read flow will stay as is until August 30th unless they get a lot more rain. Well good for the waders, bad for the fish and the floaters.

flyI4 is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    259 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

yeah this flow just doesn't cut it this time of year, and although cannonsville is below 80% overall capacity for the system is around 85% and we're almost through summer. I'm really starting to doubt this flow plan, it allows for piss stream level flows early season when the res is anything but spilling to 95% and leaves flows at a still very low flow of 300-400 cfs all the way through late spring. Is this flow plan really worth having a month and a half of 500cfs where people are happy during the early summer? I know the yo-yo flows were harmful for fish and bug life, however if this is what we are going to get out of this plan during the warmest month of the year, screw it I'd rather go back to yo yo flows where you could get 1500 cfs during the summer and enjoy some streamer fishing, brief windows of fishable temps on the mainstem and periods of time when the waders couldnt wade the river and floating really came into its own.

Signed-----another delaware river angler pissing and moaning about river management.(for the record I do not blame those anglers and advocates involved that put this plan in place, its always been a bitch of a fight and I thank everyone involved for putting in as much time as they do)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    968 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

My take on the flow plans is that we need to keep making steady, albeit slow, progress. After all, we're literally fighting city hall and it's the biggest city in the nation. So we may never get what we want, but through science we can keep creeping up the flows as we convince NY that its citizens are in no danger of running out of water anytime soon. Especially since their usage consumption has fallen most of the last couple of decades...

Here we are at a borderline drought yet the reservoirs are averaging 85% of capacity. Clearly there is more water available for aquatic habitat health.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty Spinner For This Useful Post:

Johnw (08-08-2012)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I've been in the minority and have advocated scraping the FFMP and starting over. Many have said it would play havick on the system by reverting it back to the orginial flow releases but my thoughts are that scraping it would encourage the parties to fix it the way they should and put pressure on them to do it right and in a timely manner rather then trying to fix something that has proven to be unworkable to begin with and will not work no matter what they do, JMO!

The FFMP is damaging the ecology of the river whether some admit it or not and tweeking it will not help, we need a new plan!!

A good well with a trouble-free delivery system is more comfort than a healthy bank account... water will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no water.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    968 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgour Farms View Post
    I've been in the minority and have advocated scraping the FFMP and starting over. Many have said it would play havick on the system by reverting it back to the orginial flow releases but my thoughts are that scraping it would encourage the parties to fix it the way they should and put pressure on them to do it right and in a timely manner rather then trying to fix something that has proven to be unworkable to begin with and will not work no matter what they do, JMO!

The FFMP is damaging the ecology of the river whether some admit it or not and tweeking it will not help, we need a new plan!!
    Sounds great, sign me up....

The only problem with your statement is that it makes sense. NY City doesn't care one bit about what makes sense for the trout or the river downstream of their reservoirs. They care about one thing and one thing only: if the drought of record were to begin today, will they have enough water to supply the needs of 9 million+ in the greatest city on Earth? Without convincing them through science and steady progress on flows, we'll never blow up FFMP and suddenly come up with some great flow plan that we can all agree on. As many flaws as FFMP has, it is, in fact, flexible and has been modified and can be again and again until we get closer to what we can agree are good flows for habitat that won't threaten the city's drinking water needs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    468 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 23 Times in 21 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    if the drought of record were to begin today, will they have enough water to supply the needs of 9 million+ in the greatest city on Earth?
    Warwick? ...or was it the dark dirt place… or the mulch mountain town… I’m confused…

John
    Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.--Henry David Thoreau

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

What irks me the most we can be in drought conditions and have all kinds of water use restrictions as well as flow restrictions up here yet the folks down in the city can use the water as they see fit including opening up hydrants to cool the kids off on those hot summer days rather then conserving it.

A good well with a trouble-free delivery system is more comfort than a healthy bank account... water will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no water.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    968 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgour Farms View Post
    What irks me the most we can be in drought conditions and have all kinds of water use restrictions as well as flow restrictions up here yet the folks down in the city can use the water as they see fit including opening up hydrants to cool the kids off on those hot summer days rather then conserving it.
    In part because there are no water meters in NYC, you just pay a flat rate. Pay the going rate for your actual usage and many customers would surely conserve water. Bostonians use something like 1/3 of the water that NY City people use because they have metered usage.

Thread Information