Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Antique Bamboo? What have I got?

It's very difficult to tell what you have from those two pictures. I suggest you try posting on the Classic Fly Rod Forum. http://www.classicflyrodforum.com/directory

Also, try Bamboo fly rods Bamboo fly rod makers fly reels Len and his wife Carol have been dealing in classic bamboo longer than anyone else I know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Smile Re: Antique Bamboo? What have I got?

thanks. I will try those two sites. Thanks to all, and also others who might post suggestions later. Will continue to monitor this thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Also I would like to add that 99.99% of the time the rod makers name is on the rod shaft above the hook keeper, not on the reel seat.

The most important issues here are who's name is on the rod shaft and more importantly, what is the serial number? The serial number will tell you who made the rod and during what time period the rod was made.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Unfortunately I don't seem to find anything on the rod blank above the reel seat. Incidentally, I have another bamboo rod which does have Leonard itched near the butt of the reel seat. It also has nothing on the rod blank.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

You know what? That could be the way it is. My bad.
    Here's another bamboo dealer; go to this site and look at the pictures. There's no serial number on the sections or anywhere else.

Classic Fly Fisherman

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

The Mills Standard is a Leonard rod. I'm guessing the date is from the 1880's to the 1920's. I would post pictures on the classicrodforum site for more details dating it. They would need pictures of the reel seat, stamping, ferrules, and signature wraps for a better ID.

Wm Mills was one of the big NYC sporting goods stores and fishing tackle wholesalers. In 1878 they bought out Hiram Leonard's partner and in the 1880's got control of the Leonard Rod Company. The Mills Co. were pretty aggressive in pumping out rods and many of the early Leonard employess like Fred Thomas, Ed Payne, Hiram Hawes, and Eustis Edwards left at the time to form some of the great bamboo rod makers.

The premium Leonard rods were marked "The Leonard Rod". The less than perfect cosmetic rods were marked as Mill's Standard rods. When Leonard ran the show, the imperfect pieces of cane were tossed. Mills put these to use on the standard line. In 1894 a Leonard Rod went for $30 and a Standard rod went for $15.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I hope I'm in the right place and doing this correctly. I find this site to be fascinating -- even for a westerner whose main pursuit is cutthroat trout in the fall. I recently discovered (I had forgotten that I had it!) what appears to be the tip and mid section of a montague split bamboo rod. Is there any way to determine the model by those two pieces? If so, and even if not, any thoughts about finding a butt section to complete the rod? What I have is in excellent condition and if for no other reason than sentiment I would like to pursue this. Thanks for any information

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

How do you know it is a Montague? If I had close up pictures of the ferrules and wraps I could probally tell you what it is. My suggestion to you would be to have a builder make you a small stream rod out of the mid and tip. If it measures about 5" 4" put togeather then it was a 9 foot rod. I just made up two midge rods from mid and tip sections of 9 footers, if you would like to view them they are in my albums in my profile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
    How do you know it is a Montague? If I had close up pictures of the ferrules and wraps I could probally tell you what it is. My suggestion to you would be to have a builder make you a small stream rod out of the mid and tip. If it measures about 5" 4" put togeather then it was a 9 foot rod. I just made up two midge rods from mid and tip sections of 9 footers, if you would like to view them they are in my albums in my profile.
    I'm just assuming it's a Montague because it came to me in a case with a barely legible label - couldn't read anything more than "Montague". I've attached a couple of pictures as you suggested. If you can tell anything from those I would be very grateful. There are a couple of complete Montague rods on ebay that I thought I might bid on if they are anywhere close to what I have. Having a butt made might be the best solution.

I looked at your photos -- very nicely done. Congratulations.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Last Import-1.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	165.5 KB 
ID:	4648Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Last Import-0.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	268.8 KB 
ID:	4649Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Last Import-2.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	159.4 KB 
ID:	4650

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

The ferrules do look like Montague to me. Judging from the wraps on the mid section, male and female, I believe you have two sections of a Montague “Splitswitch” combo version, the mid section and the fly tip section. These rods came with four 36 ½” sections. Three would make up a 9 foot fly rod and the casting tip and butt section would make a 6 foot casting rod. Montague also made a non-combo “Splitswitch” that came with two fly tips and the handle was not reversible. The non-combo versions are harder to find. Looks like someone removed the mid and fly tip section snake guides and replaced them with casting guides, because the wraps are not the same as on the ferrules. The tip top looks original. Hope this helps….

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Montague Splitswitch sections.JPG 
Views:	309 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	4651   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Montague Splitswitch handle and butt section.JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	4652   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Montague mid female and fly tip male ferrule.JPG 
Views:	295 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	4653   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Montague Splitswitch decal.JPG 
Views:	371 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	4654  

Thread Information