Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 13 Times in 12 Posts

Delaware River Driveby shooting

This weekend I put the ship in at the Shehawken boatramp and trailed behind a few centerpinners. They pull over at Junction pool and started their pinning. I watched them pull one fish to the boat and proceeded to watch the technique. I don't think these guys were over exagerting their technique. They would let the line drift about 90 feet or so and reel back in.

The wind was absolutely terrible, some of the worst I've ever seen. Rowing was tough but I made it out.

With all of the wind, I did find a few rising fish very eager to take my fly. Unfortunately, with the wind taking my line and rearranging it, it was really tough to set the hook.

I found a nice trout rising but he wouldn't take what I was giving him so I did the unthinkable and put a caddis emerger dropper tied off the back of my dry fly hook. I also used a tiny split shot as to get the emerger to sink but keep the dry afloat. I thought I heard someone talking up on the hill but figured it was just my imagination. I took a cast and heard some some really awkward noises coming from the trees and before I knew it, there was a line of fire I could see racing toward me in the water. Than it occured to me that I was being shot at!!! I don't know what it was but it was a rapid fire gun, possibly paintball or BB's or pelets. Can you believe this shit! I then heard a few voices and heard a car race away. Maybe it was one of the people I pissed off over the years! Hey, you need some shooting practice.

My fish was still rising so I took a cast and hooked into a nice brown. As I was getting read to net him, he got off. I then called 911 to report the incident. They told me to meet he trooper in Stockport. 45 minutes later, the trooper calls me back to ask me how to get there. I tried to explain to him but after another 15 minutes, he asked me if the shots were from PA or NY. I told him they came from the PA side and he said it was out of his jurisdiction and could not cross over the state line. He advised me to contact the PA state police to report the incident. Screw that, I wasn't waiting another hour for someone else to call and ask me for directions.

Anyhow, just a heads up for all of you fishermen/lady's who fish the D... Be on the lookout for a group of cowards who think it would be fun to shoot at you.

Here are a few pictures I took from my trip. The first is Bard Parker. Anyone who knows this area also knows that it's pretty still water. Check out the whitecaps pushing the water in the opposite direction! The second shot is down in Lake Lenor. Again, 2-3 foot swells moving the water in the opposite direction. Finally, a picture of my fishing buddy sitting on the front of the ship. He's supposed to be watching for rising fish but took a time out for a photo op!

I feel sorry for any guide who had to go out with clients and put them on fish. It was pretty damned tough.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCM_2564-bardparker.jpg 
Views:	1989 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	2891   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCM_2568-lakelenor.jpg 
Views:	1573 
Size:	172.4 KB 
ID:	2892   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCM_2617-sage.jpg 
Views:	1633 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	2893  
    Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Delaware River Driveby shooting

Quote Originally Posted by dcabarle View Post
    Than it occured to me that I was being shot at!!! I don't know what it was but it was a rapid fire gun, possibly paintball or BB's or pelets. Can you believe this shit! I then heard a few voices and heard a car race away. Maybe it was one of the people I pissed off over the years!
    Somali pirates! Those were AK47's you heard. Lucky you had your attack puppy with you! He must have scared them off. Seriously, that must have been pretty unnerving.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I gotta tell you that third photo of the dog watching for rising fish is really outstanding. Catalog worthy, maybe even magazine cover shot worthy.

Just caption it Naked Young Blond in a float boat, and you'll be on the Google top 100 scanned images in no time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by dcabarle View Post
    I feel sorry for any guide who had to go out with clients and put them on fish. It was pretty damned tough.
    Add beginners to the mix and you have a Looong day of tying knots...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Did you happen to notice if the voices you heard were saying.."he's sure got a purty mouth" or "squeal like a pig boy"....I wonder if you heard banjo music as well....If you did you might have fallen asleep with the T.V. on..LOL.......Sadly it is all to beliveable..You were in some red necks spot..and he got pissed..Did it look like that <

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

A lot of crazy stuff happens on that river to a lot of people.

Last year I had a friend who almost lost a wheel on his way home from the system. His truck which he left at a public launch some how had its lung nuts on one tire completely loosed or removed. When he pulled over on the way home he notice that he only had two nuts left on one of his tires. He managed to take one lug nuts off each of the remaining tires and made it home alright.

My favorite story would have to be the time I was fishing the barking trout spot. I was working some nice fish when a drift boat pulled over the guy went up to his house/cabin to take a break. Another boat came down a while later the second guy stopped his boat anchored up and started yelling across the river to me. He said some very nasty things to me about the property being private and that boats couldn't be left there etc. I replied "thanks a lot its not my boat", I think he thought I rented it or didnt hear me the first time. Next thing you know the wacko un anchors the boat with no one in it and sends it gohst riding down the WB. Gets back in his boat and rows over closer to me. By now he thinks he has my number and asking what I had to say I replied again "Its not my boat thanks for letting me know"..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

ArtofFlee,

That was my boat (rental) that was sent down the river. Completely ridiculous!

Ausable

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by theartoflee View Post

Last year I had a friend who almost lost a wheel on his way home from the system. His truck which he left at a public launch some how had its lung nuts on one tire completely loosed or removed. When he pulled over on the way home he notice that he only had two nuts left on one of his tires. He managed to take one lug nuts off each of the remaining tires and made it home alright.

My favorite story would have to be the time I was fishing the barking trout spot. I was working some nice fish when a drift boat pulled over the guy went up to his house/cabin to take a break. Another boat came down a while later the second guy stopped his boat anchored up and started yelling across the river to me. He said some very nasty things to me about the property being private and that boats couldn't be left there etc. I replied "thanks a lot its not my boat", I think he thought I rented it or didnt hear me the first time. Next thing you know the wacko un anchors the boat with no one in it and sends it gohst riding down the WB. Gets back in his boat and rows over closer to me. By now he thinks he has my number and asking what I had to say I replied again "Its not my boat thanks letting me know"..

Wow! You've got a few classics here! I love your last sentence, that's definetely a classic. I wonder if that guy felt like an asshole after that!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Ausable View Post
    ArtofFlee,

That was my boat (rental) that was sent down the river. Completely ridiculous!

Ausable
    Did you manage to get it back? Was it anchored on your property or private property?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts

Overall sounds like a great day on the river.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by theartoflee View Post

My favorite story would have to be the time I was fishing the barking trout spot. I was working some nice fish when a drift boat pulled over the guy went up to his house/cabin to take a break. Another boat came down a while later the second guy stopped his boat anchored up and started yelling across the river to me. He said some very nasty things to me about the property being private and that boats couldn't be left there etc. I replied "thanks a lot its not my boat", I think he thought I rented it or didnt hear me the first time. Next thing you know the wacko un anchors the boat with no one in it and sends it gohst riding down the WB. Gets back in his boat and rows over closer to me. By now he thinks he has my number and asking what I had to say I replied again "Its not my boat thanks for letting me know"..

And people wonder why they get smacked in the face.
    Thats not cool why are people such assholes.
    That was a great reply bye the way.I wouldve paid to see the look on his face.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

That sounds like an old joke....A guy is reading the paper a dog by his leg..a man asks "does your dog bite", "no" says the man with the paper..The man trys to pet the dog and gets bit...."I thought you said your dog doesnt bite!"....."thats not my dog"

Thread Information