Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 8 Times in 7 Posts

Re: Delaware River DIDYMO

We all agree that DIDYMO has become a serious problem. From what I have been reading on this strain of Algae, It is a naturally occurring Organism in the Unites States. What is not normal are the excessive blooms that occur. All from the research that I have been reading know one has a clue what is the trigger for this occurrence. As far as trying to quell the spread cleaning and drying your equipment is essential. As far as treating the nuisance the Amino Acid Copper Chelate has shown promise. Research still needs to be done to find out what the trigger is.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I always read such glowing reports of the Delaware River and the brown trout fishing there. It is rare for me to get into browns and I would love to spend a day or two fishing brown trout again. In what stretch of river, what towns is the trout fishing located? I am not asking for spot burning just a general idea of where to start looking as I do get a NY seasons license each year so it might be fun to give the Delaware a try.

Is it legal to fly fish at night there?

Thanks!

Truth,Truth....isn't all that popular lately!

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Two words that I never hear "professionals say" but ask locals who live on the river, anchor ice or lack thereof.

Its been around along time in the Delaware and has become more and more of a problem since winter flows have increased.

This year the river didn't even freeze so expect more of it this year.

Its like the Dwarf Wedge Mussel. they say the water is to warm for them but yet they were here before the reservoirs, a warm water fishery, with what could be termed bath water and they were fine then. Only after thee reservoirs and system were converted to a cold water fishery did the DWM start to diminish in the river.

They aren't the best to eat, a little tough...

A good well with a trouble-free delivery system is more comfort than a healthy bank account... water will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no water.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

I took a guided float trip on the Mainstem of the Delaware between Hankins - Damascus in the beginning of May 2010. The Didymo bloom was completely and totally out of control, and chunks of the “rock snot” were suspended throughout the water column. The guide that my friend and I used knew absolutely NOTHING about Didymo. He had no idea what the consequences were to the river system, how it was spread, or what others waterways it was in. Apparently the park service and the DEC have not seen fit to tell this guide, and presumably had not informed others guides how bad the problem can be. I was a little shocked and upset

The Ditom (Didymo is not really an algae, but a hard-shelled single celled organism) gets on everything. You need to treat not only waders, but boats, tubes, lines, leaders, flies, etc... The good news is that the organism doesn't survive if it's completely dried out, or treated with chemicals. I've read that the organism is killed by soaking exposed items in warm soapy water, soaking in very hot water, and that freezing kills it too; but the experts recommend eradicating the organism through drying contaminated gear and/or treating it with bleach solution, or anti-fungal products. Felt waders are a problem, but are not the only way it’s spread. Dories, tubes, wader, rod handles, line, etc can pick up the organism, and if not quarantined will also spread the pest. I find it also interesting, that many of the areas in NY State where didymo is a problem, are waterways not only frequented by us, but also by tubers. The Esopus, the Delaware(s), and the Battenkill all have very healthy tubing businesses. I actually enjoy tubing, but it’s probably another component of the problem. I can’t help but wonder if maybe the tube rental companies should inform their customers as to the problem and suggest them, the customers, take the same precautions that we do.

It (didymo) unfortunately is going to spread. This is an invasive species that comes from Asia. It’s colonized throughout the Western US, and is here in the East now. As anglers there are three things that we can do to help slow the spread. 1) Information: The conservation agencies are in my opinion not doing a very good job of informing the public of the problem. Whenever you get a chance, tell people about Didymo, and how to stop it. Tell not only fellow fly fishermen, but hardware fishermen, tubers and people wading in the streams, hunters, store owners, etc. This year, after my float trip, I can not tell you the number of people that I spoke to who had NO idea what didymo was, or that it was in our waters. 2)Quarantine: Be proactive, and always treat your gear (or use different gear) when going from one system to the other. Assume that the river you’ve fished in is infected, and take precautions. 3) Research and eradication: After my float, I did a little bit of research into the scientific literature, and the scientific community has a long way to go on this. Maybe we should ask TU to press the issue further?

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

I would say that guide is completely out of touch, most likely someone who
    was asked by the guide service to take you on a boat ride down the river. This problem is not a secret, everyone knows it, even my daughter who knows nothing about fishing asked me if I ever heard of it. I bet he did not put you into any fish either. I would ask for a refund. Thats like a driving instructor saying he never heard you had to buckle up.

North Jersey

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgour Farms View Post
    Two words that I never hear "professionals say" but ask locals who live on the river, anchor ice or lack thereof.

Its been around along time in the Delaware and has become more and more of a problem since winter flows have increased.

This year the river didn't even freeze so expect more of it this year.

Its like the Dwarf Wedge Mussel. they say the water is to warm for them but yet they were here before the reservoirs, a warm water fishery, with what could be termed bath water and they were fine then. Only after thee reservoirs and system were converted to a cold water fishery did the DWM start to diminish in the river.

They aren't the best to eat, a little tough...
    Couldn't agree with you more about the lack of anchor ice and profusion of didymo. I also think that the algae and moss that runs all season is related to the higher winter flows. I dont know ther connection, but I would bet that the reservoir is not turning over the way that it has historically.

Hopefully, when the FFMP is renewed, lower winertime flows will be adressed.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 1 Post

never mind

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

The NPS & the DEC have communicated with guides & license agents about didymo and other nuisance species. Maybe they haven't knocked anyone over the head about it, but that's not really their responsibility. NYDECD has amde available to guides brochures about the problem and programs like Protect Our Waters have been around for a couple of years. It is the resposnsibilty of a proffessional to keep up on issues that affect their fishery. I would have been a little shocked & upset with the guide and not the DEC or NPS.

"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

www.FlyFishTheDelaware.com

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Claw View Post
    I would say that guide is completely out of touch, most likely someone who
    was asked by the guide service to take you on a boat ride down the river. This problem is not a secret, everyone knows it, even my daughter who knows nothing about fishing asked me if I ever heard of it. I bet he did not put you into any fish either. I would ask for a refund. Thats like a driving instructor saying he never heard you had to buckle up.
    I just posted for others edification, and I disagree that "everyone knows it". Over the last year I've talked to enough people that are oblivious about Didymo, and the problems in the Delaware system. (I'm glad that your daughter heard about it, someone in a classroom obviously is getting the word out)

The guide has almost 20 years on the river, and he did actually put us into many fish that day. I am a little taken a back by his lack knowledge. I specifically asked the guy if DEC and the Park department had notified him. He said something about a newsletter, and really seemed clueless. (The guy is legit, well known, is affliated with the park system , and NO the park system did not pay him to take us down the Delaware)

My point is, based on my experience, the problem was NOT well known outside of the hardcore fly community. Didymo is a huge problem, and I hope we can stem it's spread.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

He may have experience and put you into fish but it is beyond comprehension that he never heard of it. Its been in fishing magazines, on all the fishing sites, fly shops have posted info on their sites, signs are up in many parking areas, ect. Boot manufacturers have stopped making felt soles and explained the reason why, ect. You would think he would have noticed it in the rivers and asked himself, what is this brown stuff. Its been a national problem not just local for a few years now. Thats like saying you never heard of West Nile Virus or hot low water is bad for trout because no one ever sent you a notification on it. I can understand the average guy on the street never hearing of it but not a guide on the D system with 20 years experience is unbelievable.

North Jersey

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
    The NPS & the DEC have communicated with guides & license agents about didymo and other nuisance species. Maybe they haven't knocked anyone over the head about it, but that's not really their responsibility. NYDECD has amde available to guides brochures about the problem and programs like Protect Our Waters have been around for a couple of years. It is the resposnsibilty of a proffessional to keep up on issues that affect their fishery. I would have been a little shocked & upset with the guide and not the DEC or NPS.
    A good guide should understand what is going on in the river system, and especially should be aware of factors that are detrimental to the entymology of a system. This guide is a fairly well known independent guide. He knew a little about Didymo, but was for the most part oblivious. I do blame the guide, and will most likely NOT be using him again. But you can't help but wonder if NYDEC, PA's equivalent, DEP, and NPS could be a little more agressive with their information campaign. (Considering all of the hoops we all have to jump through, the fees, etc).

I've been to number of county fairs, and other events reecntly where DEC is there in force. I always see tons of literature for the Emerald Ashnborers, Long horn beetle, and VHS, however i have never seem a Didymo brochures on their tables. I took a summer class right next door to the a DEC facility that had school field trips daily. I was in the education center quite a few times and I never noticed Didymo brochures. Didymo is NOT a priority to the regulatory people, and they're half a**ing their information campaign. This has been my experience, and I see it as a problem.

Guys that fly fish are at least a little bit in tune with river systems. We pretty much know abut Didymo, but we're not the only ones who use the rivers and can carry the darn diotom to other systems. I'm just concerned, and maybe winter freezes will help the issue in the future.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

NYDEC has posted posters at access points and other places. NYDEC has sent guides, fly shops & others brochures alerting to the problem and make them available on request. NYDEC has issues press releases and published pages on their web site about the problem. The Feds have also published websites just for this purpose and have invited guides, business and individuals to sign on as supporters.

See: Didymo Alert - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation
    Attention Boaters and Anglers: Don't Spread Invasive Species! - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation
    Protect Your Waters and Stop Aquatic Hitchhikers.

Plug didymo into Google and you'll have tens of thousands of pages show up.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't force him to drink.

"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

www.FlyFishTheDelaware.com

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information