Simms
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Delaware River DIDYMO

Bamboozle:

I agree with you about staying out of a stream that is known to be infected. Also agree with you about there are a lot of other places to fish. The question in my eyes is how is this issue of getting rid of didymo going to be addressed and in what time line. Lastly how expensive will the cost to cure this be and the true bottom line will be fought who will be funding this and how long of a battle will it be to get this money. Just some food for thought in realistic future thinking.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    CDOG:

Your missing the point here. It's just not anglers that spread didymo. Birds/water Fowl also spread this as well from stream to stream and any other bodies of water that they may visit. It's more a bigger issue than just the anglers. Think of didymo like the flu. It does spread around and winds up in places that you least aspect it to. So anglers are only part of the equation. The only true answer I feel will come from Biologists. We can band this and band that, but how do you band Birds, Deer, Bear and raccoons. All this has to be part of the equation but we can't jump to conclusions that only represents half the issue. There is a lot more to this equation than most people think.

Andy,

Not missing any point here, I get where you're going.

Check out this site. New Zealand has been dealing with this stuff for awhile and has closed 10 of their infected rivers.
    Didymo

Looks like there is no cure at this time.

Cdog

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    The question in my eyes is how is this issue of getting rid of didymo going to be addressed and in what time line. Lastly how expensive will the cost to cure this be and the true bottom line will be fought who will be funding this and how long of a battle will it be to get this money. Just some food for thought in realistic future thinking.
    Agreed!!

The questions in my eyes are:

• If there isn't a solution, can the resource deal with it or is it the end of fishing as we know it.

• IF there ever is a solution that requires $$$, what stupid new Federal stimulus project can we divert some money from? Maybe the bridge that's being built for Microsoft??

Hatches?, I don't got to show you any stinkin' hatches!! - FUBO

flyI4 is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

as of right now, didymo in the river is not a major problem. I have personally not seen it and fish the river regularly and many ive spoken to havent seen it. For those who have, its been minimal amounts. The upper east branch has had more common sightings,but I think some of that has to do with the weed growth up there anyway and people miss identifying it as didymo. Dont get me wrong, I'm extremely concerned about the didymo issue on the rivers and would like to erradicate it now before it becomes a problem, but as of now the occurance of it is minimal at best in the system.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,130 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flyI4 View Post
    as of right now, didymo in the river is not a major problem.

OK.. now know where your head is on this subject.

flyI4 is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

coming from someone who rarely fishes the river, I wont even get into it with you. As of now however, there hasn't been major issues with didymo taking over the delaware, its just important to monitor the situation closely so that if it starts getting worse action can be taken. How many times do you fish the river a year?It Doesn't seem like your in a position to tell me the case of the WB

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

there hasn't been major issues with didymo taking over the delaware
    You're right. I stand corrected.

So, I take it DIDYMO is like your adolescence acne...

It will clear up in time.

All by it's self.

Thank you Mr. Brainiac....

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

About two years ago I knew it was in some New England streams and mentioned to some fly shops around Roscoe that now was the time to perhaps sound the alarm before it got in the NY rivers. It was shrugged of as silly because all it takes is one person not to disinfect and that birds also carried it.
    I find it interesting that everyone is now concerned now that its here. It is too late, once it is in the steam its here to stay and it is not going away no matter how much you wash your boots. Think about it, you have tons of this stuff moving through the system in floods and you think washing your boots is going to help. You might however stop it from spreading to uninfected streams providing their is 100 percent compliance which is not going to happen. Felt soles or no felt soles are not the problem, its lazy fisherman that are the problem.

North Jersey

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

coming from someone who rarely fishes the river, I wont even get into it with you. As of now however, there hasn't been major issues with didymo taking over the delaware, its just important to monitor the situation closely so that if it starts getting worse action can be taken. How many times do you fish the river a year?It Doesn't seem like your in a position to tell me the case of the WB
    No, pro-active steps should be taken long before it becomes a problem, you don't wait for it to begin becomming a problem and then think about taking action. That is why so many conservation groups are urging anglers to take such preventative measures, to curb the spread as much as possible. As far as not seeing it much up there, a friend was just up there and mentioned they saw it in several places.

TU Life Member, Forks of the Delaware Chapter

NRA Life Member

"Where the air's a little cleaner, the trees a little greener and the road don't go through your town."

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

as of right now, didymo in the river is not a major problem. I have personally not seen it and fish the river regularly and many ive spoken to havent seen it.
    Just because you have not seen it, does not mean it is not there. I only go up 3-4 times a year. I have seen it every time, not in the blankets that some places get but certainly in mats that are noticeable if you look.

The risk is real, how you deal with it or do not deal with it is a very personal matter. I plan to use bleach and hot water when I return, it may not be perfect but it is better than nothing. Not fishing there is not an option for me.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

flyI4 "I don't see any Didymo..."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,544 Times in 981 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 23 Times in 22 Posts

Recently back from the WB and saw it in several spots. It seems to grow during the summer months and die off during the winter months. So far, the didymo we have in the Catskills is not the same diatom as the New Zealand strain that seems to grow into dense mats and cover the bottom.

For the record, I use the bleach solution followed by a thorough drying after fishing infected waters. I have two sets of boots, so it's easy to use my second pair until my first are cleaned. I have Simms new Vibram soled boots on order, should be easier to clean than my Chota or Hodgeman felts. There may also be something to each individual river that keeps many or most rivers from seeing this infestation. There is no way you can tell me that NJ anglers have all completely cleaned their gear upon return from the D and its tribs and have not transfered any to our waters, yet there is still no evidence of didymo in NJ waters.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information