Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lake Placid Lake Trout

I was just wondering if anybody has any early season experience fishing for Lake Trout in Lake Placid. I am going to try and give it a shot this weekend and was looking for a few tips. From what I have read, the fish will most likely be in the top 10 feet or so of the water column. Does this sound correct?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

Re: Lake Placid Lake Trout

I'm familiar with Finger Lakes fishing and not Lake Placid - so all I can recommend are good questions to ask. The old technique there is fish where the optimum temperature (48F) meets the bottom - lakers tend to be bottom oriented. Stream inflows and wind driven currents fine tune the areas to fish. I would guess that the Lake Placid temps are below 48F now so you are looking for the warmer spots, which would be shallow over dark bottom on the opposite side of the wind direction (i.e fish East shore in a West wind) since the wind pushes the warmer surface water to one side. For the shorebound, the best shot is to look for wind driven currents and where points intersect the currents and concentrate bait.

I would ask a lot of questions of the local fishing shops and find areas to fish, since the early season fish are likely to be close to the overwintering spots. The hot spots are key. Look for where the trollers are working.

Another thing I would ask is where the smelt spawn. This time of year is around smelt spawning and the lakers and all the other trouts will be hanging around the smelt spawning streams. This is also key for the shorebound since smelt cruise fairly shallow and the trout will be behind them. In my days of shore fishing for lakers knowing the pattern of smelt movements made all the difference in the world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Lake Placid Lake Trout

Thanks for the info. I'll be fishing from a boat so I will have access to a fishfinder with thermometer and maps of course. This is my first time fishing lakers, let alone with a fly rod. Hopefully I can post some pics if we have some luck.

Thread Information