Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Odnjbfb

Quote Originally Posted by jlajoie View Post
    As much as it bothers me to see stringers of fish being pulled from a stream, I find it funny that most of the guys doing the keeping are pulling purely stocked fish, with the occasional wild or "acclimated" holdover fish thrown in. BHC, I know we talked about the stocking a few weeks ago when Jamie and I were up there for ODNY, but do you guys have any statistics on what the chances of overpopulation of trout would be if there were a 1 fish limit per person? I would have to think that with the few thousand fish thrown into the KLG for example, starvation and slower growth rates could be an issue...
    I dunno, just a thought.
    And, those stockies are certainly not the sharpest tool in the stream, er, shed....
    Some good points J. There are always more bugs on the water then the fish eat. I'm guessing here, but I think they would do fine most of the year. As for winter I don't know what they would eat after they cleaned all the little fish out. I've heard that Blue Herons and Kingfishers take quite a few trout out of our streams as well. But, if they put 30,000 trout in the BFB for example, I can't imagine them all finding enough food to survive, but as Jeff Goldbloom said, "Nature finds a way".

Cdog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Thanks for the pics! Makes me even more thankful for the day I had...not one other fisherman in sight all day.

"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." Chuck Clark

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

The last picture on BFB looks like we used to call "Warner's Pool". Is it still called that? Haven't fished NJOD since 1984. It seems pretty pathetic that a fly guy would even try and fish these gauntlets but I shouldn't be so critical as some guys don't have the time, or liberty, to fish less crowded waterss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
    Some good points J. There are always more bugs on the water then the fish eat. I'm guessing here, but I think they would do fine most of the year. As for winter I don't know what they would eat after they cleaned all the little fish out. I've heard that Blue Herons and Kingfishers take quite a few trout out of our streams as well. But, if they put 30,000 trout in the BFB for example, I can't imagine them all finding enough food to survive, but as Jeff Goldbloom said, "Nature finds a way".

Cdog
    I guess another point is, and you can take this as a good or bad thing, but if not allowing a creel stops even one person from ever fishing again, that is one more person that is now completely out of touch with our streams, rivers and creeks, and one more person that is going to care less and less for the health of our waterways. Even if they are a weekend junk caster, some percentage of them will give second thoughts about nature every now and again!
    I know it might seem like i am arguing both sides of the point here, but I like a healthy debate, even if it is with myself!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

WB, yes that's Werner's Pool. Having been that long since you were there last, you've got a great memory. I fished there all winter and rarely saw another sole. I'd bet there were still 20+ fish there. Now it will be fished hard most of the year.

J, If license sales went down I'm sure it would have an impact on the fishery, but the question is...would license sales go down? The meat hunters don't only target trout. They might stop buying the trout stamp though.

Cdog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Hi Corndog,

"Having been that long since you were there last, you've got a great memory"

I fished BFb from the time I was twelve in 1955 until I was in my mid 40's in 1984 - that was almost thirty years so my memory is still vivid. I used to fish a pool just downstream from the Rte 206 bridge that we used to call the "Abutment". It must have been a bridge at one time but all that was left were the stone walls that had held the deck of the bridge. A friend of mine told me that the pool has pretty much vanished and filled up with gravel.

I also remember the "Eel Trap" the first pool going upstream at the Blewett water, then the "Sycamore Pool", "The Flats", "The S Pool", "The Mudhole", and of course "Junction Pool".

Many decades ago I remember a large log jam below Werner's Pool, about 200 yards below. The logs were on the left side going downstream, and the right side of the stream had deeply undercut banks. We caught lots of 16" - 18" trout in that pool. Down stream from that was a nice section with overhanging trees and it was deeper on the right side. Then about 50 yards further down was the start of what we called then "The Jungle", where the BFB is all braided and gets very shallow and tough to penetrate. I never fished the "Jungle". I doubt if many guys hwere even have a clue of where I'm referring to??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Wbranch View Post
    Hi Corndog,

I fished BFb from the time I was twelve in 1955 until I was in my mid 40's in 1984 - that was almost thirty years so my memory is still vivid. I used to fish a pool just downstream from the Rte 206 bridge that we used to call the "Abutment". It must have been a bridge at one time but all that was left were the stone walls that had held the deck of the bridge. A friend of mine told me that the pool has pretty much vanished and filled up with gravel.

I also remember the "Eel Trap" the first pool going upstream at the Blewett water, then the "Sycamore Pool", "The Flats", "The S Pool", "The Mudhole", and of course "Junction Pool".

Many decades ago I remember a large log jam below Werner's Pool, about 200 yards below. The logs were on the left side going downstream, and the right side of the stream had deeply undercut banks. We caught lots of 16" - 18" trout in that pool. Down stream from that was a nice section with overhanging trees and it was deeper on the right side. Then about 50 yards further down was the start of what we called then "The Jungle", where the BFB is all braided and gets very shallow and tough to penetrate. I never fished the "Jungle". I doubt if many guys hwere even have a clue of where I'm referring to??

Ironically enough, after my little trip to Ny this morning, I was in the exact spot that you are calling the "jungle"....never been there before, and there weren't any other guys there, which surprised the heck outta me....I had to see for myself if there was a spot left with some fish after yesterdays massacre....and there were none, at least for me!

john

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Wbranch View Post
    Hi Corndog,

WB,

Wow! You were fishing there around the time I was in Kindergarden in Illinois. The pool you called the Abutment I call the Old Bridge Pool and it is still there, but probably not as you remember it. Over the past 5-6 years there were some pretty intense flooding on the BFB, the same times the BigD flooded and it has changed considerably. You would probably enjoy a stroll down the river to see how much it has changed. Especially below Werners and the Blewett down to Roy bridge. There are alot of new twists and turns in the river.

Cdog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Was at BFB today and there were remnants of Saturdays massacre. At 6:00 I was near the Roy Tract de-icing my eyelets and just moved upstream picking up garbage. Filed up a Shop-Rite bag!!
    It was like there was no fish. Met two guys who were casting flys and they had no luck either. WTF?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by RobYas View Post
    Was at BFB today and there were remnants of Saturdays massacre. At 6:00 I was near the Roy Tract de-icing my eyelets and just moved upstream picking up garbage. Filed up a Shop-Rite bag!!
    It was like there was no fish. Met two guys who were casting flys and they had no luck either. WTF?

Thanks for helping keep the Flatbrook clean Rob. FYI May 16th is Flatbrook cleanup day.

Cdog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

kindanewbie77,

"Ironically enough, after my little trip to Ny this morning, I was in the exact spot that you are calling the "jungle"....

Now that is weird and very ironinc! As I said earlier right before the start of the "Jungle" there used to be a pretty pool with a big tree on the right side looking down river. Not a very big pool but one that always held a couple of fish. I know when I was fishing BFB in those days that NJ never stocked below that pool. I don't believe there was even a rutted trail to take the truck down into the "Jungle". I looked at it on Google Earth one time and it goes for miles with many little braids - I wonder if anyone here does ever fish thart water?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Hey Corndog,

I've though about buying a short duration NJ non resident license and going back to take a trip down memory lane. But maybe I'd be disappointed to see the creek now after all these years. When I was a kid in my mid to late teens I used to think it was a pretty decent sized creek. Now I seldom fish water this narrow. Are there any mayflies on the BFB? Back in my time there were hardly any mayflies or aquatic insects of any sort. This was the time when DDT was still considered a "good" chemical!!

Thread Information