Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thursday looks nice.

Things finally aligned for some possible weekday fishing! It's supposed to hit around 50 tomorrow, and I have the day off for a dental appointment Uptown at Columbia U! If all goes well I should be on I-80 by 10:30 and at Point Mountain by noon. I'll be the guy in the completely awesome Cabela's neoprenes if anyone else heads out there. Report coming tomorrow evening. Is it really Wednesday already?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 92 Times in 91 Posts

Re: Thursday looks nice.

Yes its Wednesday, haha. The weeks fly by too fasy right? Although thats a good thing until spring gets here.
    If i wasnt swamped at work i would be out there too.

http://www.gardenstatetrout.com
    The sunken ship has risen! Come join the rats!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I would like to get up to point mountain myself. Ive heard its good fishing there. I stopped by the other day to check it out, kinda looks like KLG except deeper. any tips for some good areas along the river?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    994 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KevOK1180 View Post
    I would like to get up to point mountain myself. Ive heard its good fishing there. I stopped by the other day to check it out, kinda looks like KLG except deeper. any tips for some good areas along the river?
    Please don't take this personally, but I am on a jihad to get anglers to explore waters outside of our TCAs. There are many reasons for that. One is that we may get additional TCAs for other areas not currently understood that will qualify - but we need angler support to identify these areas and push for them. Another reason is to take the pressure off our current TCAs because they are being loved to death and that is not a good thing, IMO.

Today I met up with someone from this board at Point Mountain. I drove more than 11 miles along the river to reach this location and passed exactly ZERO anglers in the general regs stretches. When I arrived at the TCA I found that I was the 10th vehicle there, some with multiple anglers, and there were more cars parked up above the lower end.

My suggestion to all is to get out and explore some of the other open waters in our bigger rivers. There are plenty of trout out there, both wild and holdover, and you won't face the crowds and pressured fishing like you will in our TCAs. That's my two cents

As for where to fish the Musky, think DOWNSTREAM . Lots of public water and you'll find more than 20 more miles of the better Musky fishery than in Point Mountain's TCA...

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Heres the problem for me. I like to get out and fish new places, but I really don't know where to go. People say go here, go there but its hard to drive along the musky down stream, when you don't know where the river flows. You talk to people who have success in different areas along the rivers but good luck getting any clue from them. Most people are still going to fish TCAs because they KNOW fish are there and its easier then spending 3/4 of the day driving around looking for new spots.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

it simple to find new place along the Musky, an as Brian Mention , if you spend a little time on the river , you can have miles of water to yourself. very few angler take advantage of the lower river , and they stock the river down there as much if not more than they do at the trout conservation area . in fact at the stocking meeting 2 weeks ago the lower river is going to see an increase in stocking do to the state aquiring more access down there , the Musky recieves annual around 52,000 trout , not including the private fish that are stocked by clubs
    I spend a great deal of time on the lower end of the river , because there is very little pressure,plus if you want to fish smaller water ,it's a short drive to pohatcong creek, and hakihoke creek ,off miller park road if you looking for wild trout, as well as stocked water in the town of Milford, and above town going towards little york. if you use the state of new jersey fish n game website , they have all the access points listed and the state is working on getting maps of the area on line as well , you might spend a little time exploring but , it might offer you angling opportunity that you never thought of before . I have a great mapping program that i use by delorme which i highly recommend topo USA 7.0 and their Maps you can get cheap now . if you do a little home work it will pay off .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    994 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

JHeaney gives some good advice. There will be a time in the (hopefully) not too distant future where I push the state for a second TCA on the Musky. If anglers don't know about or care about the lower river, we'll never see this happen simply because of a lack of support.

I recently had to re-write a section of the federal Wild & Scenic guidebook for the Musky and as I was updating it from about 14 years ago, I was pleasantly surprised that the number of publicly owned acres in the watershed had grown by more than triple in that time. Most of those acres are owned by the state (Green Acres and State Parks) and the counties of Warren (Open Space) and Hunterdon (County Parks). We are in the process of closing another deal for 350 acres below the Point Mountain TCA which should close in June or July. After the Finesville Dam is removed, Green Acres will be aquiring 2 of the Grodon's parcels above the dam and we'll have another nearly 1/2 mile of angler access to a restored river section which is part of the dam removal process.

There is a ton of land open to the public and the state division of F&W lists each one, complete with a PDF map, on their website under "Wildlife Management Areas". Scroll down to "Musconetcong WMA" and you will find them all listed there. And that does not include Open Space or Hunterdon Parks or State Parks (3 on the upper river), all of which are open to the public for fishing. Get out and explore and let us know if you find some gems

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I appreciate the help you guys are giving. Its just that Im very new to FF and do alot of it by myself so its really overwhelming to get out on a river and try to find new places and such. When Im by myself and on limited time I like to fish where I know I will have a good chance of catching a few. But I guess on the other hand I do like to find new places and new rivers where noone else is. I have been looking at google maps for a few hours and have found the places you are talking about, so now all thats left is to get in the car and drive. Thanks again guys

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

This time of year, I'm all about easy. I'm new to the area, so I'd prefer to get to know area streams a little better before the days get longer and solitude gets harder to find. TCA's are nice because it's easy access and damn fine water. After fishing Point Mountain twice, I must say I'm already pretty well-acquainted with it's riffles, pockets and the beautiful seemingly fishless holes.
    Today I got out there a bit late, around 1:30 thanks to the dentist having to do a lot of extra stuff. What a way to wear off the novocaine! I fished a run that looked really fishy, against a wall of sideways flat boulders for about five minutes before a nice fat rainbow slammed my #16 tungsten Prince. This fish fought like a piece of driftwood with a tail, but it's a beautiful hatchery specimen if I ever saw one. I also used a #18 brass copper john as a dropper to go with the midges and BWO's that were hatching consistently once the sun came out. All in all a really fun afternoon, it's always nice to get out of the cesspool. What a pain that Holland Tunnel is!!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0226091515.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	2540  

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Nice report. Glad to see you made it out to the river. I know how you feel, I went to the dentist yesterday. The only difference was I went home and not fishing. I have to wait til Sat.. Rollcast

Thread Information