Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

starting to tie

I have never tied before, and I am looking to make my foray into that realm of our sport(don't worry I won't tell you guys where I am going to do it) . Just looking for a recommendation for a decent, and relatively inexpensive vice...thanks in advance!

john

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Re: starting to tie

Your head is going to explode with all of the suggestions and choices.

First of all, decide how much you want to spend.

Second, do your damndest to get to Somerset this weekend and talk to the folks tying there and look at a few options like rotary versus stationary.

Then start your due diligence.

There are all kinds of vises out there at all price points and they ALL work great for those that choose them. So before you drop the cash, narrow things down a bit.

You'll be glad you did!

Hatches?, I don't got to show you any stinkin' hatches!! - FUBO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Icon26 Re: starting to tie

I am currently using a Thompson model A vise that I purchased nearly 30 years ago. At times, I wish for smaller jaws to tie smaller flies in the size 14 and smaller range, but other than that I have no issues with it.

I recently had the oportunity to try a Renzetti Traveler vise and loved it!
    I like the smaller jaws and the bobbin cradel. The rotary function can be usefull also. If you have the money, get the Renzetti otherwise the Thompson should do fine.

Welcome to the the fly tying club. I think you'll find it very rewarding. Now you will be able to make what ever flies you need, when ever you need them. Years ago I used to camp on the banks of the East Branch of the Big D. I would bring my entire fly tying kit with me and tie flies right on the stream bank. Other campers (non fisherman) would gather around and watch me tie. Once they saw me catch trout with them they would totaly freak!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by kindanewbie77 View Post
    I have never tied before, and I am looking to make my foray into that realm of our sport(don't worry I won't tell you guys where I am going to do it) . Just looking for a recommendation for a decent, and relatively inexpensive vice...thanks in advance!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts

I can't tell you the name of them, where to find them, or even which state you find them....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    329 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PRomano View Post
    I am currently using a Thompson model A vise that I purchased nearly 30 years ago. At times, I wish for smaller jaws to tie smaller flies in the size 14 and smaller range.......
    My Model A is even older than yours... A few years after I got it, they started offering "Midge" jaws and "Super" jaws for hooks that the original didn't handle well. I got the midge jaws.

The current model A is a little different than ours, so you might want to inquire about interchangeability with the modern jaw sets.
    dhthompson.com - accessories

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

If you want a vise that will last your life, and tie flies in a wide range of sizes, then you will not go wrong with a Regal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by kindanewbie77 View Post
    Id second the trip to the fly show.. its hard to beat some of the deals going on there, but id walk around and compare before settling. My first vise was cheap from Cabela's, but I cant begin to tell you how many flies came out just fine with that whole setup. Its not a bad idea to start off cheaper to see how much time you'll really put into it. Some people piss away a small fortune and barely sit at the table. Good luck.

Listen To The River Sing Sweet Songs To Rock My Soul...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I've been using a Dan-Vise for quite some time and it gets the job done just fine. I tie flies from 4/0 saltwater flies to size 22 midges.

I would get something simple and inexpensive to see if you like it at first, there are many kits available online that give you a decent vise and some good starting materials.

Once you begin to tie, make sure you fish your flies as often as you can, it makes for a very rewarding experience.

Good luck.

"Take only pictures, leave only footprints, kill only time."- anonymous

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Not to mention how much $ your going to save on tying your own.
    All that savings + a whole lot more goes to buying more material.Some that will sit in a box for years and you'll never use. When I started in 81 I spent $100.00 to get started and. Now I have boxes on top of boxes of materials.Trout,Bass.Salt,

Welcome to the addiction
    Mstash

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

Hey,
    Most of the people here are going to recommend getting a good vise up front. That's because they are all actively tieing. The people who bought fairly expensive vices and no longer tie are not going to post. That said I'd recommend getting a good vice with rotary capabilities. The precise model is a matter of taste. I have a Peak and it cost I think about $150. Its all I need. I have a copy of a Thomson A that I started with and it is totally adequate, but not as "fun". Certainly an option would be to borrow someones spare vice and tie and then get a better one once you know both what you like and how much you will be tying. If you want, PM me and I'd be happy to loan you my cheap vice if you pay the shipping.
    Toodles,Frogge.

Midge Master

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

I tied with a cheap copy of the Thompson A vise for 30 years until I was replacing the bolt that held it together too many times.

Got a HMH Spartan (the pedestal one in AK's post). While it is a better vise, it is not a life altering experience. The vise just holds the hook and most of the tying is the tier. However, if the vise is breaking or the hook comes loose it is miserable. BTW, I really like the pedestal base better. When I had the clamp base I found myself on too many tables where the molding made it hard to get the clamp on.

Thread Information