Gene and Ines Shuttle Service
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    91
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    0
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Cheap vs. Expensive C&R Nets

    Hey all -

    I just picked up a cheap catch and release trout net made by eagle claw - it was 14 bucks, but has the mesh that is easier on the fish. Do you think there is any real difference between a net like this and a more expensive C&R net? I'm on a budget, but I want a net that is best for the fish.

    Thanks all -

    Joe


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Everyone wants to know that
    Posts
    1,498
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,302
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,354
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    0
    Groans
    8
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts


    Re: Cheap vs. Expensive C&R Nets

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeM View Post
    Hey all -

    I just picked up
    You already have it?

    Why ask then....


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    91
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    0
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Re: Cheap vs. Expensive C&R Nets

    Ahhhh....see a reply...looking forward to some insight and......

    c'mon man - it was $14 so I went for it. The shop isn't around the corner and there weren't many of them.

    I haven't used it yet. So what do you think?


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NE PA, NY, NJ
    Posts
    1,569
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    393
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    675
    Thanked in
    321 Posts
    Chats
    2
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Re: Cheap vs. Expensive C&R Nets

    As long as it's better than the net you had before it's moving in the right direction.

    "I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

    www.FlyFishTheDelaware.com


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    304
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    0
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Re: Cheap vs. Expensive C&R Nets

    Playing the fish quickly, handling the fish as little as possible with wet hands and using the net ONLY when necessary will benefit the fish more than worrying what material the bag is made of.

    Those fancy C&R nets should be called CR&D (catch, release & die) nets because lots of people I see using them still handle their fish like crap assuming they are doing the fish a service by owning a C&R net.

    Hatches?, I don't got to show you any stinkin' hatches!! - FUBO

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Everyone wants to know that
    Posts
    1,498
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,302
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,354
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    0
    Groans
    8
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts


    Re: Cheap vs. Expensive C&R Nets

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeM View Post
    Ahhhh....see a reply...looking forward to some insight and......
    OK.

    Other than your new net, in todays economy, name an QUALITY item that cost $14.00 ????


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    91
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    0
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Re: Cheap vs. Expensive C&R Nets

    thanks for the replies.

    I didn't own a net before. And I work hard to release my fish properly. I was hoping with the net I could land the fish more cleanly, keep it in the water, unhook it, and let it go.

    As for the high quality for $14.....do you think every piece of expensive fishing equipment is worth the money? So much of our stuff is expensive because of the wood used to make it or the brand name or whatever....but at the end of the day...do the fish really care? People have been catching fish for a reeeaallly long time without so many of the expensive pieces of equipment we all use.

    So does anyone feel like answering the question? If not, no worries.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    804
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    74
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    78
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Chats
    0
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Re: Cheap vs. Expensive C&R Nets

    Under light-moderate use, I'm sure that net will last many seaons and perform fine. It was most likely made off-shore and if it does have a defect, you will just be out 14 bucks.

    When you buy an expensive landing net like a Brodin, you are getting:

    1) A very pretty piece of woodwork to look at and visually enjoy every time you use it and see a fish in it.

    2) Durability that may last a lifetime. (I currently have a Brodin knotted net that I got when I was 10-11 years old. Needs a new coat of finish, but the net has been used HARD and was downright ABUSED during my teenage years. The net is in fine funtional shape.

    3) Your are supporting an American company.

    4) If something is flawed with the workmanship, you may have some recourse to a replacement.


    So...Nothing wrong with a 14 dollar net. Yet, lots of sound reasons (if means allow) to invest in a $100 net. Choice is yours.

    Enjoy your net!


    ~James


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    91
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    0
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Re: Cheap vs. Expensive C&R Nets

    Quote Originally Posted by jcstikfish View Post
    Under light-moderate use, I'm sure that net will last many seaons and perform fine. It was most likely made off-shore and if it does have a defect, you will just be out 14 bucks.

    When you buy an expensive landing net like a Brodin, you are getting:

    1) A very pretty peice of woodwork to look at and visually enjoy every time you use it and see a fish in it.

    2) Durability that may last a lifetime. (I currently have a Brodin knotted net that I got when I was 10-11 years old. Needs a new coat of finish, but the net has been used HARD and was downright ABUSED during my teenage years. The net is in fine funtional shape.

    3) Your are supporting an American company.

    4) If something is flawed with the workmanship, you may have some recourse to a replacement.


    So...Nothing wrong with a 14 dollar net. Yet, lots of sound reasons (if means allow) to invest in a $100 net. Choice is yours.

    Enjoy your net!


    ~James
    Cool - great points and I totally agree. I'm all for buying the best you can afford for the reasons you pointed out. Actually, back in May I sunk a good chunk of change into a new surf fishing set up. It's a spinning outfit though - a 9 foot, 1 piece custom rod from a local bait and tackle and a higher end spinning reel. Great for throwing plugs for bass and fluking off the beach in the summer. I'm really happy with it. It's a pleasure to use and it's a rod for life. The guys that built it really know their stuff and I learned a lot through the buying process. I was stoked I could support them. Actually, not too long ago I slipped on a jetty and banged up one of the guides real bad. I brought it back to the shop and they rewrapped a new one. Now it's as beautiful as before. I probably couldn't have done that as easily with a cheaper rod

    As far as the net goes, I just can't justify a high end one right now. I saw the cheap one, checked it out, and went for it. Eventually I'll invest in a better one...it's just a matter of time. Thanks for the reply.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    RB
    Posts
    535
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    83
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    76
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Chats
    1
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Re: Cheap vs. Expensive C&R Nets

    Value and worth are abstract ideals placed upon objects. There are plenty of things that cost good money that aren't valuable. If it works well for you then it has value regardless of what you paid for it.

    one of my most valued pieces of equipment was my hook sharpening stone. I paid a nominal cost for it but it lasted me 20 yrs, until it slipped out of my cold hands into the river bottom.

    "You hate people"..."But I love gatherings, isn't it ironic"

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Totowa, NJ
    Posts
    749
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    64
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Chats
    0
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Re: Cheap vs. Expensive C&R Nets

    There are a few things I would look for in a net.

    1. Bag Material-there is now knotted, C&R and rubber
    the rubber is much easier on the fish and your flies don't get tangled in it. It also doesn't stay soaked with water on your back all day.

    2. Size-what type of size of fish are you after and how would you like them handled? I prefer a longer frame and a shallow bag to get the fish in and out without any tangling in the net. This also keeps the fish's body straight and not curled up like in a deep bag net.

    3.Frame Materials/esthetics-Do you want a beautiful cherry, or will an oak do the same job? What do you want your net to say about you and how long do you want the frame to last? Will you be using it lightly or abusing it?

    On the topic of bag material. I'm convinced that the old knotted bags are obsolete and bad for the fish. This spring I caught a beautiful little brown with tons of fight on the Neversink. Its head went through one of the hole in my net bag and I had to cut the net to get it out without ruining its scales. Since then I haven't used that net or any other knotted bag net.

    On the topic of nets....get a magnetic net release, its the best investment I made this past year. So simple, so easy, much faster and less fish lost.

    Good luck shopping, brodin makes some nets that are reasonably priced, but consider it an investment and you'll never have to buy another trout net....until Alaska of course.

    "Take only pictures, leave only footprints, kill only time."- anonymous

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    91
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    0
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Re: Cheap vs. Expensive C&R Nets

    Quote Originally Posted by Burtbords149 View Post
    There are a few things I would look for in a net.

    1. Bag Material-there is now knotted, C&R and rubber
    the rubber is much easier on the fish and your flies don't get tangled in it. It also doesn't stay soaked with water on your back all day.

    2. Size-what type of size of fish are you after and how would you like them handled? I prefer a longer frame and a shallow bag to get the fish in and out without any tangling in the net. This also keeps the fish's body straight and not curled up like in a deep bag net.

    3.Frame Materials/esthetics-Do you want a beautiful cherry, or will an oak do the same job? What do you want your net to say about you and how long do you want the frame to last? Will you be using it lightly or abusing it?

    On the topic of bag material. I'm convinced that the old knotted bags are obsolete and bad for the fish. This spring I caught a beautiful little brown with tons of fight on the Neversink. Its head went through one of the hole in my net bag and I had to cut the net to get it out without ruining its scales. Since then I haven't used that net or any other knotted bag net.

    On the topic of nets....get a magnetic net release, its the best investment I made this past year. So simple, so easy, much faster and less fish lost.

    Good luck shopping, brodin makes some nets that are reasonably priced, but consider it an investment and you'll never have to buy another trout net....until Alaska of course.
    Awesome - lots of food for thought. I've seen those new rubber nets. They look really nice.

    Man.....maybe for Christmas the guy in the big red suit can give me a bunch of money to live on for the rest of my life and a little house.....out the front door I'd like surf break complete with bass in the whitewater and in the back yard... through the woods a bit... a wild trout stream..full of trout and bugs.....and a new net in the stocking

    Thanks all - I'm here at work and going a bit nuts - have a great holiday!


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Thread Participants: 13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •