Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SBR Today!

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

SBR Today!

After a year of thinking about it, this morning I'm going to do it. I'm off to chuck coneheads into the wind/trees on the South Branch for the first time. I know the river's up after last night, but it's dropping quickly and should be below 300 by the time I get there. Jazz hands for big browns tight to the bank Wish me luck!

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Re: SBR Today!

Best of luck . Have fun. probably gonna be high and off color, but give it a try.........

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 486 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 13 Times in 12 Posts

Heard there were some annoying Kayakers in the Gorge yesterday. Be careful.

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by dcabarle View Post
    Heard there were some annoying Kayakers in the Gorge yesterday. Be careful.
    They were there, jamiep and I were speculating on whether they were allowed to be there. I have to say the kayakers were less annoying than the high, off-color water and the sticks and branches in the water snagging our nymphs and breaking us off. I bet the conditions will be much better today with the water lower, flows more moderate and hopefully some of the turbidity down. Good luck, Let us know how it goes.

"The two best times to go fishing is when it's rainin' and when it ain't."--Patrick McManus.

www.creekaddict.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,541 Times in 979 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 23 Times in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
    They were there, jamiep and I were speculating on whether they were allowed to be there. I have to say the kayakers were less annoying than the high, off-color water and the sticks and branches in the water snagging our nymphs and breaking us off.
    Kayaking the Gorge or any other spots of the river is fully legal. When on private property, a kayaker/canoer cannot get out of their craft, but they can still float through. The KLG is public land so they can stand in the water if they want. As anglers we all hope not to have to deal with a kayak or canoe when we're fishing, but we need to be mindful that they have as much right to do so as we do fishing.

When we (TU) build weirs after dam removals, we take into consideration the needs of boaters so that we can all use the river. Voids between the large weir rocks are built in for safe boat passage. Ecotourism is good for the local economies as well, so we should support the needs of the boaters, IMO. Most of NJ's trout rivers are only good for kayaking on days when fishing would be lousy due to very high, fast and off-color water. Just my two cents...

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

flyI4 is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

i havent seen half the problems on nj streams with kayaks that ive seen in other places. Ever fish the mongaup on a busy day... it will drive you nuts... THe big lehigh is another river that has an established boating community and the river definitely belongs to the boaters although I have a feeling this will start to change as trout potential is realized more and more

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

This thread is getting off-topic; if we want to debate the merits of kayaking we should start a new thread rather than hijack this one. My post was about the conditions on the SBR not the kayakers. I only brought them up because another poster mentioned them and yesterday we were wondering aloud whether the fact that KLG is a TCA made kayaking against the rules. I agree, we should support all recreational users of the waterways since we have shared interests in the quality of the resource.

Now let's hear what the fishing was like on the SBR today

"The two best times to go fishing is when it's rainin' and when it ain't."--Patrick McManus.

www.creekaddict.com

oneidog is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

I'm heading up this coming weekend and hope the fishing will be better than the current reports I have been reading. I normally meet up with some friends and we rent a cabin in Voorhees State Park for the weekend, but that is in the first couple weeks of October. VSP is now closed for camping or renting of cabins. Can anyone recommend a place that is close to KLG to stay for Saturday & Sunday night? Home rental, Campsite, just need a place to crash after fishing for Friday and Saturday.

Keep the reports coming. Hopefully after a nice week w/ little to no rain the conditions will be ripe this weekend.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

The raritan Inn although its pricey, or I know theres a B & B in Long Valley. Both are on the water or across from it......

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

In a slightly lower price range, there's the Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Select in Clinton, which is ten minutes away. But their rates are in the $100 plus range. If you're looking for a cheaper motel, try the Mansfield Motel on Rt 57 (if it's still in business) in Washington. It's 2 minutes from the Point Mtn TCA and 15 from the north end of the KLG.

Holiday In - 908-735-5111
    Mansfield - 908-689-5335

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

I fished up by Long Valley/Mt Olive where it's really small. The water was a pleasant tea color, and it was easy wading. Too bad there are apparently no fish in the upper river.

oneidog is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Thank you for the info - I'll look into them both. I also heard of a campsite not too far away as well. See what the weather looks like later this week.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information