Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    492 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Post North Eastern Guide Reviews.

I'd like to compile a list of guides in the NorthEast. I am in the process of creating a page related to guides in the area.

Full reviews of your experiences with a particular guide would be great.

If you've had a bad experience with a guide, that would be useful too however, a post bashing a guide or guide service will be reviewed, and the guide or guide service will be contacted to get 'the other side of the story.' We're not into ruining ones livelyhood however, we are into the truth about your experience, and will post it once validated.

If a guide did not put you on fish, that's not necessarily the guides fault. If a guide promises you fish and you don't catch any, the guide is at fault because the guide should not have promised that you will catch fish in the first place. Does he owe you anything? My opinion, he owes you an apology and a discount on your next trip.

This is only for NORTH EASTERN GUIDES, not Midwest / Western guides.

A few guide services I know of off the top of my head are:

Catskillflies
    Anthony Ritter
    West Branch Angler
    Delware River Club
    Jim Serio
    Jerry Hadden's Guide Service
    Wild Rainbow Lodge and Outfitters
    Sweetwater Guide Service
    Upper Delaware Outfitters
    Gone Fishing Guide Service

These are only for NY / PA. Other states are welcomed too, please add them to the list. Good reviews will be posted immediately.

Your assistance in compiling this list will be very helpful.

Thanks

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Dennis

Thats a great idea but may I Suggest opinions be done off line if there not good.

I say that because unknown to you and most on this site many of the catskill guides I know look at your site quite a bit including about half of the above mentioned.As you may or may not know they dont post.But beleive me they read.

Although getting both sides is great the first side will not be good and may be damaging enough?

Thats the reason I WANTED the "local bashing" stopped and deleted(you did thanks)since the local guides reading your site where not very happy campers, and neither was I,since some of these guys are my friends.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Never had as a guide but I have heard a lot about JW Trout...

Dan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

The Baxter House in Roscoe has guides for the Catskill steams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

I am not sure about the negative stuff either. A bad day or a jerk of a guide customer does not necessarily make the guide bad. There are bad guides and also bad customers,some customers dont take the guides recomondations then blame the guide that they did not catch fish. Perhaps it would be better to mention a guides name for great guide experiences and for the bad experiences just mention what happened and not the name. This would serve as education for potential customers and the guide will read and recognize the dissatisfaction. As an example, I went out with a guide two summers ago and the West Branch was so low we walked more than 40 percent of the river. The guide also told us to just throw our line over the side 10 feet because the fish are used to boats which I know is bs with wild trout. We fished from a pontoon boat without any leg locks to lean into which was also not pleasant.

North Jersey

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Dennis, you should probably include Ultimate Fly Shop (Coz and Paul) in Hancock and I know Joe McFadden has some guides he helps with bookings out of his shop in Hankins.

Also I think you should only post good reviews. No need to bash anyone.

Bruce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Dennis,

You were looking for a way to help support your site. Instead of giving the guides a free run on your site ask them for a couple bucks and put out a mini ad for them, (Name, rivers they work on and contact information). You're already protecting them from bad feed back I think it would be money well spent.

www.Bestbugz.com
    "Quality Flies at an Affordable Price"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Well I will throw out a few things I like in a guide as well.
    A guide has to read people as well as fish.

I don't need a guide to tie my fly on , but every once in a while it's nice because I can grab a drink or snack.

Some people want to sit on their but and you'll have to do everything for them, why I'm not sure, but that is their experiece.

For me, teach me how to fish life's a learning experience and I want to use my day with an expert to better skill set.

If you see me doing something wrong, ask if I want some help correcting it. I guess you have to read people on this too, some don't want to hear it.

Fish till dark, please, I know it's a long day, but it's a short season, I will tip you well and recommend the hell out of you and you know we'll catch more fish.

If today is "one of those days" change my fly alot, I'll feel like we are giving it a good shot. It's fishing, all I can ask is that you work hard and give me the most opportunity to catch some fish.

Don't charge me for flies and I know this varies by location but I think I would rather have your rate $25 bucks higher with the knowledge you will supply what I need.

I am sure you guys could add more here

Maybe I will post a little later on how I think a guide should be treated, because I have found if you treat them well, most will bend over backwards to make sure your experience is a good one. Man their fishing for a living, can't be all that bad.......OMC

"Not all those who wander are lost."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Actually OMC they are NOT fishsing for a living. They are, and should be, teaching for a living. No guide should EVER fish. Not unless it is adamently insisted upon by the customer. And most good guides won't even do it then. It is NOT his job to fish. It is his job to locate fish, row a boat, serve lunch, provide and change flies, take pictures, untangle messed up leaders and all the other things that fisherman get themselves into, and TEACH. And YES! stay out until dark. When they do this well, and without an attitude, they make good money. Like you said it's a long day, but a short season. Dennis, unless Harry finally sold the Wild Rainbow Lodge and Outfitters, that place and the West Branch Angler are one in the same, ownership wise. Good luck with it Dennis.............highly political endevor. mark............

Mark J. Romero
    www.fudr.org
    607-498-9944
    M&M Fly Fishing
    JazzMark Gallery
    94 Yorktown Road
    Roscoe, N.Y. 12776-5017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Willow, I agree with your point.

BTW after a long day, and at lunch or sometimes any time during a good fishing day, and almost always at the end of the day, I adamanently request my guide to throw a line. Why not? It helps me understand a little more about strategy...

"Not all those who wander are lost."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I hesitate to respond to this post for several reasons which are not important. However, here are just some of the characteristics I would want in a guide if I were to hire one:
    1 - Knowledge about and willingness to share all aspects of fly fishing the area to be fished.
    2 - The ability to demonstrate the techniques for that area.
    3 - To be friendly and have a good sense of humor.
    4 - To be respectful of nature, his customer and others on the water.
    5 - To ask me(customer) questions that allow him(her) to turn into a positive experience.
    6 - If booked in advance, to be honest enough to call, cancel and offer re-booking dates (our schedules permitting) if conditions are extreme.
    7 - To determine, in advance, what my goal(s) is(are).

The caveat is that many people look for different things in a 'guide' and the fishing experience. The guide must understand and accept what the clients needs are, be willing and able to meet those expectations. If not, the guide should just pass on that particular booking.

Just my thoughts.

Allan

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    492 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Mark,

As a guide, maybe you can help me out. I was thinking of getting a guide license. Where did you go for yours, and how long does it typically take to aquire one? I think in PA, you just fill out a paper to get it, but NY is a little different.

By the way, I think you're right about the WBA and the Wild Rainbow Lodge Outfitters.

Dennis

Originally posted by willowhead
    Actually OMC they are NOT fishsing for a living. They are, and should be, teaching for a living. No guide should EVER fish. Not unless it is adamently insisted upon by the customer. And most good guides won't even do it then. It is NOT his job to fish. It is his job to locate fish, row a boat, serve lunch, provide and change flies, take pictures, untangle messed up leaders and all the other things that fisherman get themselves into, and TEACH. And YES! stay out until dark. When they do this well, and without an attitude, they make good money. Like you said it's a long day, but a short season. Dennis, unless Harry finally sold the Wild Rainbow Lodge and Outfitters, that place and the West Branch Angler are one in the same, ownership wise. Good luck with it Dennis.............highly political endevor. mark............

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thread Information