Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Digital Cam suggestions

I'm looking to upgrade my point and shoot camera....I have about $600 to spend and am hoping some of you photographers out there can offer some suggestions and/or things to look for when buying. Also, do you guys recommend buying from ebay?

At this point I'm pretty basic but have been reading various books about photography and how to use all the manual features that these cameras are equiped with. I'm looking for something that will shoot in RAW format.

Thanks in advance....

"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." Chuck Clark

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Re: Digital Cam suggestions

It's not a small camera but I really like my Sony Cybershot H50

www.troutpredator.info ... fishing reports, techniques, etc...

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 13 Times in 12 Posts

Like anything on Ebay, check the users feedback before pressing the bid button. Also, make sure the people leaving the positive feedback aren't all from Istanbul Turkey / Hong Kong / etc...

Even better than Ebay is Craigslist. I purchase my stuff from Craigslist because I can search locally and meet the person and inspect the product. I've been pretty successful with this. Don't send money to someone from Craiglist. If this is your intention, stick with Ebay.

This is a D40x 10.2MP with a lens! $375.00. (***There is a difference between the D40/D40x - X gives you 10.2mp; otherwise I beleive you only get 5).

Nikon D40x 10.2 MP Digital SLR

Here are some Ebay auctions for this camera that have already closed.

http://search-completed.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=pf&sbrftog=1&dfsp=1&catref=C6&guest=1&from=R40&satitle=Nikon+D40x&sacat=31388%26catref%3DC6&a25563=-24&a14=25485&a25565=68452&a25564=-24&a10244=-24&alist=a25563%2Ca14%2Ca25565%2Ca25564%2Ca10244&pfmode=1&reqtype=1&gcs=1420&pfid=1721&pf_query=Nikon+D40x&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=07204&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&fis=2&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D2&fgtp=

You can see that the person on Craigslist is asking a very reasonable price. I would email this person and see if they will meet you 1/2 way at a Starbucks or Barns & Noble. If they are hesitant, offer to buy them a cup of coffee.

I like Nikon. Others like Canon. You can't go wrong with either. I don't know Canon products to recommend something in that area. I do know that the D40x got great reviews when it was released so you can't go wrong in this area.

If you NEED to spend your entire $600, I take tips. Just kidding... Here is a Craigslist Nikon D80 with a memory card and other items. Email them to see if it has a lens.

Nikon D80

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

after many broken cameras, cannot go wrong, you just have to see the under water videos...
    best camera ever had.
    think about it:
    200 pounds pressure resistent
    shock proof 6'
    water proof 30' salt or fresh water
    10MP

mine is the 10.1 megapixel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Recently bought the Olympus Stylus 1030SW camera. Great point and shoot camera that is waterproof (instructions actually say to rinse under the faucet to clean after use. ) Shock resistant and has some pretty good macro and anti shake features.

Does not have all the capabilities of an SLR, but the water proof nature is really nice when fishing. I think it takes really good pictures, I suggest you buy the 2G memory card and a spare battery.

If you buy a package from Amazon you can get it with memory and case for around $400.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I was a little hesitant about ordering from ebay, so I ended up purchasing from a store in Manhattan. After doing some research, I ended up buying the Olympus e510 with 2 lens kit.

My Pentax point and shoot is waterproof and has taken some really nice shots, but I'm not able to take the kinds of pictures I'd like to be taking. So hopefully my upgrade will be a good one. I'm just starting to learn about aperture, shutter speeds, lenses, and how they all affect the end result in one way or another.

Thanks for the tips guys. Hopefully I'll have something for you guys to critique in a few weeks when I can finally get out and do some fishing.

"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." Chuck Clark

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Good for you and good luck with the new camera. Although I'm not a pro, I still enjoy taking pictures and experimenting with various techniques. Although it sounds like you picked up a few lenses already, here's a big tip for your next lens... DON'T SKIMP ON YOUR LENS! There is a big difference between a 200mm 2.8 and a 80-200 4.5-5.6. The difference here is getting that shot or getting a bunch of blur.

If I can help you in any way, just ask.

Quote Originally Posted by sstasiak View Post
    I was a little hesitant about ordering from ebay, so I ended up purchasing from a store in Manhattan. After doing some research, I ended up buying the Olympus e510 with 2 lens kit.

My Pentax point and shoot is waterproof and has taken some really nice shots, but I'm not able to take the kinds of pictures I'd like to be taking. So hopefully my upgrade will be a good one. I'm just starting to learn about aperture, shutter speeds, lenses, and how they all affect the end result in one way or another.

Thanks for the tips guys. Hopefully I'll have something for you guys to critique in a few weeks when I can finally get out and do some fishing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by dcabarle View Post
    Good for you and good luck with the new camera. Although I'm not a pro, I still enjoy taking pictures and experimenting with various techniques. Although it sounds like you picked up a few lenses already, here's a big tip for your next lens... DON'T SKIMP ON YOUR LENS! There is a big difference between a 200mm 2.8 and a 80-200 4.5-5.6. The difference here is getting that shot or getting a bunch of blur.

If I can help you in any way, just ask.
    Thanks Dennis

As for the lenses, if I have a 200mm 2.8, that'll allow me to use a faster shutter speed without sacrificing the amount of light I would be losing with a 4.5 right?

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Thanks Dennis

As for the lenses, if I have a 200mm 2.8, that'll allow me to use a faster shutter speed without sacrificing the amount of light I would be losing with a 4.5 right?
    Yep. So if you have an 80 - 200mm 2.8 and your buddy is fishing across a stream at dusk, you'll get a much better image than you would with an 80 - 200mm at 5.6 (at 5.6, you will probably get a nice fuzzy outline of the subject). Some lens's simply suck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I'm gonna have to start saving for a better lens then.

What do you use for your macro shots?

Also, I was playing with the long lens and small aperture today to try to get that fuzzy background effect with my dog....it's not fishing related, but will be shortly...what do you think?

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I'm gonna have to start saving for a better lens then.

What do you use for your macro shots?

Also, I was playing with the long lens and small aperture today to try to get that fuzzy background effect with my dog....it's not fishing related, but will be shortly...what do you think?
    The lens is more important than the camera. You can have the best camera on the planet but if you couple it up with an el'cheapo lens, you'll get not so great shots. So yes, start saving.

I use a few different lens's for Macro stuff. My latest lens is a 60mm 2.8 Micro and is very nice but I also use a 70-180 4.5-5.6 Micro which is amazing. My problem is that I have used and abused this lens without a filter and now it's a bit scratched up. It still takes incredible shots though (see attachments) I doubt even a pro could see the imperfections... I can't.

Both shots were taken with similar settings but different lenses. I didn't go adjusting settings for these two shots because I wanted to see what the differences were. I did make sure the aperature was identicle.

As far as your dog shot. I looked at it and your levels are all out of whack. A few things you really should consider... Adjust your White Balance according to each and every situation. Your photo's will come out more true. I think with your lens, you will be better off using Shutter priority rather than aperature priority. Adjust your shutter according to the lighting conditions.

Your photo's will look different on every single monitor you view them on. You can calibrate your monitor but it's still going to look different on non-calibrated monitors.

Just my opinions!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6303 - 180Micro.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	2010   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6308 - 60Micro.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	2012  

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks Dennis

A quick leason on camera lenses, when you look at a lens you see numbers 200mm f/2.8.

The 200mm in the mangafacation,
    The f/2.8 is the f stop. The smaller the f stop number the larger the opening in the lens. f/2.8 lets in twice the amount of light as f/4.
    Same with your shutter speed.
    Whe I was shooting sports for a paper, I was using a 300mm f/2.8 lens with shutter of at least 400.
    You dont want your shutter any slower the 60 125 is better for hand hold.

Just so you know I shot for a newspaper for two years, worked in a studio for 3 and was teaching a a college for 3 years.
    Any questions send me a pm.

AP
    Zenfolio | Adam Polinger Photography

Thread Information