Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

New to the Castskills and NY fly fishing scene

Hi my name is Chris R, last week I posted some of my western trout art on the site. This week I'm searching for info.

I am new to fly fishing and cut my teeth in the sport last summer in Wyoming. I had the luck of working out in the Tetons and fished on all the valleys streams I could get to after work. The upper lower Snake, Arizona ck, Turpine Meadows, Polecat, Gros Ventre, Buffalo Forks, Pilgrim ck. All freestone water.

I had to move back to the east for personal reasons and find myself just south of the Catskills. I am looking forward to getting back on the water and having some epic days catching browns and bows and maybe even some brookies; but am somewhat confused as to where I should start exploring the local Catskill waters. The neversink is closest and flyfisherman did a fine job of presenting that water in the most rescent issue.

What I'd like is some experienced advice. Where would be a good place to start exploring? I will be wade fishing only. Should I run right up to the west/east branch of the D or start on the beaver, willo, or the neversink.; and what about the feeders to these streams can one have a raucous time fishing the smaller feeders of the beaver, willo, and never. How about ease of access and parking??? This area is alien to me???

My prefered weapon of choice is a 3wt setup but am equiped for 5wt and 6wt also. So fellas or ladies how about some advise for the new guy on the block???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts

Re: New to the Castskills and NY fly fishing scene

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    Hi my name is Chris R,

I had to move back to the east for personal reasons
    Care to share in those reasons???

There are a number of people here who feel they might be of some help to you.

The American Medical Association prohibits them from advertising, but you'll get to know Buckwheat and McFly soon enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Pretty simply my 88 year old father is having medical issues thus the prodigal son returned to be on hand and help out. However, I also need some down time to relax thus the info request for catskill info from the resident authorities.

I've prepositioned myself 45 mins. north of him in florida, ny , he lives in cedar grove nj.

Between my sister who lives in NH and I we have arranged for care givers and are coordinating with his MD's. Dad is overwhelmed by being dependant on others for help thus a familiar face close by releives him of some of the worries of that dependence.

Nuff said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post

I've prepositioned myself 45 mins. north of him in florida, ny , he lives in cedar grove nj.

Chris did you grow up in CG?

Hllywd

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts

Hope all works out well for you and yours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

As a matter of fact I did.

Chris did you grow up in CG?

Hllywd

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

So Akslim how about some catskill beta ... I lurked enough to know you are one of the resident authorities and your posts are salted with wit and sarcasm normally. Which of course is refreshing to me.

As an aside thanks for your concern with regard to family. Everything will work out for the best regardless of the ups and downs. Remaining positive is the key.

So come on guys and gals give it up to the newbe who desperatly needs to get on the water again..... anytakers with the secret handshake club info...please don't be tight lipped as there are enough waters and trout for everyone here... take a couple of minutes out of your busy lives and share with me.... "wanna go rip some lips" as we used to say out west when the need to cast came upon us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I grew up on Fairview. 5 Houses from the hospital.
    Likely you know me or one of my brothers.
    Hllywd

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quite possibly ... I grew up in the Northend offa Stevens ave on Lopez rd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

AKSlim aren't you one of the resident authorities ... thanks for your concerns by the by ...I remain positive and believe everything will work out and thats the key.

Now how about some beta on the catskills fishery... please lace it with wit and sarcasm as having lurked; know this to be your writting style. Which is refreshing.
    Humour is good for the soul.

And how about the rest of you guys and gals please share with the new guy who is knock'in on the secret handshake club door.... please there are enough waters and trout for all and I feel the need "to rip some lips" as we used to say out west when the urge to trout fish came upon us... ladies and gentlemen the sage advice proferred will be?????? psssst can you hear me!!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 13 Times in 12 Posts

Hi Chris,

Right now, it looks like the EB, WB, and Neversink are your best bets for all day fishing.

I'd keep off the Mainstem after 10am or so, before 10am you might start seeing some Trico's. After that it's going to be too hot.

The WB (upper) is a good choice but with limited wading areas, you'll be hard pressed to find a spot to yourself. The wading will be easy here at 323 CFS.

The EB is also an excellent choice but like the WB, you'll probaby find that it too is packed. The EB is running a bit warmer (61 degrees) than the WB (54) is running a bit warmer than the WB but this is very fishable and you should do well.

I'm not sure if you read fly fisherman magazine but they had a rather large write-up on the Neversink along with maps of access points and the whole 9 yards. This is closest to where you are and the fishing is probably the best here. The neversink is running at 145cfs @ 65 degrees so you will do well in this area. Check out the Neversink Gorge while you're at it. It's a bit of a hike to get down there but once you're in, it sure is a beautiful place.

Look for Tricos in the AM between 7 and 10:30 or so. Then look for Sulphur activety later on in the day.

Hope this helps.

For water flows and temps, visit: New York Fly Fishing Forums

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Thanks this is good info and is much appreciated!!!! Anyone else have anything to add?? Maybe more specifics about the Neversink!!

Hi Chris,

Right now, it looks like the EB, WB, and Neversink are your best bets for all day fishing.

I'd keep off the Mainstem after 10am or so, before 10am you might start seeing some Trico's. After that it's going to be too hot.

The WB (upper) is a good choice but with limited wading areas, you'll be hard pressed to find a spot to yourself. The wading will be easy here at 323 CFS.

The EB is also an excellent choice but like the WB, you'll probaby find that it too is packed. The EB is running a bit warmer (61 degrees) than the WB (54) is running a bit warmer than the WB but this is very fishable and you should do well.

I'm not sure if you read fly fisherman magazine but they had a rather large write-up on the Neversink along with maps of access points and the whole 9 yards. This is closest to where you are and the fishing is probably the best here. The neversink is running at 145cfs @ 65 degrees so you will do well in this area. Check out the Neversink Gorge while you're at it. It's a bit of a hike to get down there but once you're in, it sure is a beautiful place.

Look for Tricos in the AM between 7 and 10:30 or so. Then look for Sulphur activety later on in the day.

Hope this helps.

Thread Information